Warranty & Habitation Service

Mel B

Hi Guys Just thought I'd let you know, if you're interested, that the cost of extending your warranty with a certain Lincolnshire company has gone up from £199 to £250 in less than a year ... that's a hell of a percentage mark-up! It didn't take into account the age of our 'van as I wasn't asked! Add to that the 'compulsory' habitation check at another £220 and it's getting extremely expensive. Somehow I don't think I'll be renewing it when it runs out. Does anyone else pay for an extended warranty? If so, how much? Also, what's the going rate for habitation checks elsewhere?

Hi- I have not long had the first habitation check on my 1 year old van and the cost was £80. + v.a.t which took about one and half hours to complete, so although it seemed another expense for owning a motorhome I should be very grateful of the dealer I go to. chas

Mel, We have just paid £149 + VAT for a habitation check at the Timberland motorhome factory. After your problems it's money well spent. If we had a claim similar to yours I think the insurers might ask for the habitation check certificate. The three year warranty run out on the 24th June and the company offering the cover (not Timberland) were asking over £300 to extend for one year. We delined ther very generous offer (lol) Don

• 2 weeks later...
That's very interesting, our van is currently under warranty with MG & G via the very large dealership in Lincolnshire, if you only paid £325 for year 4 and 5 why are we being asked to cough up £250 for 1 year only through the dealership, or £450 for 2 years!!!??? I think I'll do some ringing tomorrow.

Theres warranties and then theres warranties.The older the vehicle the less it covers but it is also more expensive. The sign of a good warranty is when it tells you what it doesn`t cover as opposed to what it does.There could also be a maximum amount the warranty will pay out per claim. Before purchasing a warranty ask to read the warranty booklet,boring I know but it could save you a lot of money in the long run. If the manufacturer or dealer you`re buying a brand new m/h from offers you a 4/5 year extension don`t take it as read that it`s the same as your 3 year warranty that comes with your brand new m/h,it most definitely won`t be.

[QUOTE]Mel B - 2006-07-23 7:24 PM That's very interesting, our van is currently under warranty with MG & G via the very large dealership in Lincolnshire, if you only paid £325 for year 4 and 5 why are we being asked to cough up £250 for 1 year only through the dealership, or £450 for 2 years!!!??? I think I'll do some ringing tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Mel

These, if I understand you correctly, aren't warrantys at all.  They're insurance policies, just like the ones offered on domestic fridges etc.  Dealers presumably collect a commission on these.  It isn't quite clear what it relates to on your Rapido.  I thought they had a six year warranty against leakage and, if bought in UK, three years from Fiat (or whoever).  All the installed components have their own warrantys, most one year from purchase.  Two years of the three year Fiat warranty is from Fiat: the third, as I understand it, is provided as part of the Fiat badged package, but is actually insurance backed. 

You need to look very closely at what it covers to see if it represents value but, if your 'van has covered a reasonable milegae from new, and doesn't suffer any known recurring defect, I'd say it's better to underwrite your own risk.  The insurance premium is a definite cost, the cost of unexpected repair the risk. 

Provided you have good breakdown cover, and your vehicle has proved reliable in practice, what is to be gained from paying for something that you'll probably never need?

When we bought our Rapido it only came with a 1 year warranty, as many of the foreign vans did at that time (2003). From 2004 (I believe) this changed to a 2 year warranty. Not sure what it is at present but I suspect Brian is right and that it's 2 years manufacturer and one year's insurance backed. When we bought the van we managed to get an extended warranty (to make 2 years) out of the dealership as part of the purchase. This was due to the fact that for our Swift (which had a 2 year manufacturer's and a further 1 year's 'insurance' warranty with it when we bought it new) had had problems well into it's second year which hadn't been apparent during the first year, therefore purchasing a van with only 1 year's warranty was a real concern for us, hence the extra year to do the deal. When we then had the fire in the motorhome, due to the dealer's rubbish BBQ point installation work, part of the 'deal' we did with them was to have a free year's warranty, this takes us from September 2005-September 2006, hence why we are still in warranty at present (we went for a few months with none). We've already had to have a part replaced on the fridge 6 weeks ago (£136.00) and are having to have it looked at again as it's now got another fault so it'll be interesting to see how much this latter one costs.

We have never bought any extended warranties as over time its more economical to accept the risk. The only water ingress we have had in our Autotrail Scout (1997 vintage) was from the hole for the cable to the high level stop light. It took ages to find and we blamed all sorts of other things until it was found and positively proven. If it rained hard the water used to drip from the top of the rear blind - but not any more. I even had the rear window taken out and re-sealed - for nothing!

My understanding is that the duration of the warranty relating to the base-vehicle on which a motorhome is constructed will normally depend on where the conversion is carried out. So a current model Transit-based Auto-Sleepers will attract the 3-year warranty that Ford offer in the UK. Conversely, a Ford-based Chausson or Hymer motorhome will have a 2-year duration 'chassis' warranty because that is what's offered on the Transit in France or Germany. The norm (whatever the base-vehicle manufacturer) seems to be 3 years for a UK-built motorhome and 2 years if it's Continental-built. A motorhome dealer told me, fairly recently, that one motorhome manufacturer (can't remember which) now provided an insurance-company-backed warranty for the conversion that began from the date of first sale. He assured me that it was as all-embracing in scope as a traditional warranty.

[QUOTE]Clive - 2006-07-24 11:18 PM We have never bought any extended warranties as over time its more economical to accept the risk. The only water ingress we have had in our Autotrail Scout (1997 vintage) was from the hole for the cable to the high level stop light. It took ages to find and we blamed all sorts of other things until it was found and positively proven. If it rained hard the water used to drip from the top of the rear blind - but not any more. I even had the rear window taken out and re-sealed - for nothing! [/QUOTE]

Clive

If there's a wood frame around your rear window get it checked though, unless you already have.  The leak will have made it wet, and the re-sealing will have made it more difficult for it to dry out.  Nothing breeds better conditions for rot than persistent dampness and a lack of ventilation!

please someone tell me what all this habitation check stuff is ? how old should your van be before you get one. Sillier question would people not know weather it was habitation worth or not whilst using it ... I dont understand what all the money you are all paying out is for what do they do exactly :$

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-07-27 12:26 AM please someone tell me what all this habitation check stuff is ? how old should your van be before you get one. Sillier question would people not know weather it was habitation worth or not whilst using it ... I dont understand what all the money you are all paying out is for what do they do exactly :$[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-07-27 12:26 AM [QUOTE]michele - 2006-07-27 12:26 AM please someone tell me what all this habitation check stuff is ? how old should your van be before you get one. Sillier question would people not know weather it was habitation worth or not whilst using it ... I dont understand what all the money you are all paying out is for what do they do exactly :$[/QUOTE][/QUOTE] Michele I would suggest you get a copy of "Go Motorhoming Europe". When we first heard about this book, and read the claims made for it - that it was a comprehensive guide to buying and using a motorhome - we thought 'It'll never live up to that...' Well, I'm happy to say that it does! There is a vast amount of useful information in this book that it is so hard to find in any other single source, it covers virtually every question that newcomers to motorhoming usually ask, and many others that they didn't know they needed to ask! There is advice on what you need to consider when choosing a motorhome and plenty of practical information on using it, including chapters on water, electrics, gas, toilets, campsites and free-parking, and life on the road generally. The last part of the book contains mini-guides to over 30 European countries, of necessity these are rather limited, but useful basic information is provided and contacts for further information are included. The book is well furnished with useful contacts, both for information and for obtaining equipment. It's not often that we can say that something is essential, but we would say that this book is an essential purchase for anyone considering buying a motorhome, and for new owners, especially if they are planning a trip to Europe. It would also be a useful addition to even a relatively experienced motorhomer's library, I think it's safe to say that everyone will learn something from it. More details on the book can be found on the associated website: www.go-motorhoming.co.uk Go Motorhoming Europe Paperback - 204 pages Authors: Meli George & Chris Doree Published by: Vicarious Books LLP ISBN 0-9552808-0-X Price: £9.99 Order this book direct from the authors: £9.99 with additional postage and packing at £2. Order via the website at www.go-motorhoming.co.uk

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-07-27 8:36 AM well thats put me straight ....onway to order will try to pick up t the local newsagents if not will order online. regards michele [/QUOTE] You won't get one at your local newsagents, it's on line or at the Malvern Show in two weeks time. Don

Hi Mel B. I use M.D Caravans, Newhaven,West Lane, Burton Fleming, EAST YORKSHIRE. Tel: 01262 470852 or 07813 403892 for my habitation service (£65 in March at my house). One man business - Mike Donkin- does mobile service which is very useful. (No VAT!). Mike is a fully qualified 'caravan man' and has a modern workshop. I reckon he would also be able to sort out your fridge problem. Best wishes, Roy.

[QUOTE]Roy - 2006-07-27 1:36 PM Hi Mel B. I use M.D Caravans, Newhaven,West Lane, Burton Fleming, EAST YORKSHIRE. Tel: 01262 470852 or 07813 403892 for my habitation service (£65 in March at my house). One man business - Mike Donkin- does mobile service which is very useful. (No VAT!). Mike is a fully qualified 'caravan man' and has a modern workshop. I reckon he would also be able to sort out your fridge problem. Best wishes, Roy.[/QUOTE] Roy, I've just spoken to Mike and he's in the process of moving. His new phone number is 01262 470643 I'll arrange for him to service my fridge at a later date as on the habitation check the fridge is not serviced. I confirmed this with Mike. My warranty has just expired so I will be quite happy for him to do the next habitation check. There is only one observation, he is not a Corgi reg gas fitter. As I understood it for my three year MB & G warranty the gas side of the habitation check must be carried out by a Corgi Reg fitter. I can't find it in writing so has anybody got any info. Regards Don

Archived