Engine coolant

ham

Unless it has a leak there should be no need to top up the coolant, if there is a leak then it needs resolving. If you do need to top up the coolant then it should be done with anti freeze/water mix to the same spec as that originally installed. Two main types of antifreeze in regular use are ethylene glycol and polyethylene glycol, (or summat like that) they do not mix and you should never top up one with the other as it coagulates and can cause blockages leading to overheating and potential head gasket failure.

D.

Coolant is mainly water but has additives to lower its freezing temperature, combat corrosion and improve the waters ability to conduct heat

My thoughts are that the vehicle manufacturer knows precisely the mix of metals plastics etc in the cooling system and specifies the appropriate anti freeze. Other brands are available and might be as good or better but do you really want to use your vehicle as a guinea pig.

As Dave says modern systems rarely need topping up and you need to know where it has gone.

Avoid over filling the expansion chamber past its maximum mark when the engine is cold. If you do the next time the engine gets up to running temperature the excess will will be expelled giving the impression that coolant is being lost when in fact as long as the minumum mark is covered when cold all is well and the system is functioning as intended.

Dave Newell - 2012-11-28 8:23 PM

Unless it has a leak there should be no need to top up the coolant, if there is a leak then it needs resolving. D.

I thought that myself but didn't want to say it in case I'd got it wrong!

You've put my mind at rest as I never top mine up and presumed they checked it when it is serviced

Mike

Thanks for your replies I do understand the difference between antifreezes

But Fiat use Selina Paraflu and it comes £9 for approx a liter and here is some advice received from some other sources ….. Dangerous just saying "Paraflu", there are five different versions of Paraflu, with two distinct types which can't be mixed.

The latest spec is "Paraflu UP", which is a red OAT type coolant and needs to be mixed 50% with water.

"Paraflu": Green/Blue in colour. Available in two versions, ready to use and another which needs mixing 50% with water.

I would exercise caution in mixing other coolants with Paraflu Up. It can cause gelling and that could cost you your engine.

PARAFLU UP is a concentrated protective fluid for Radiators. It is a Monoethylene Glycol base fluid, formulated with organic inhibitors based on O.A.T. (Organic Acid Technology). Also suitable for professional use. PARAFLU UP is a specific protective fluid http://www.flitalia.it/en/fl/index.php?option=com_dspcatprod&Itemid=254&incName=scheda&typeCompany=FL&idLingua=2ðLingua=ENG&idLivello=1&idCanale=1&idCategoria=4&codPrd=1681

I only thought of this whilst checking our cars to see if they needed topping up then. Oh, I have not checked the Van In 3 years and with the prospects of a cold winter Started checking. Thanks again for the Help and advice. Phil

Archived