water pooling on roof

peter.maniac

Hi Never had a coachbuilt before (previously panel van motorhomers) and i notice water pooling on roof when it rains whichever way i park. It seems to be held by the join between roof, sides and front joiner for fibreglass fairing. Is this usual? Is it something to worry about? Wre have a Hobby 550 less than 3 months old. Many thanks Peter

It's exactly the same with my Hobby T-600 FC (similar design to yours but longer) due to the slightly tail-up stance of the vehicle causing the roof-line to incline towards the front. When I'm using the motorhome I ignore the pooling (because I've obviously got little choice and the water blows off as soon as the vehicle is driven) but, when I park the vehicle at home, I raise the front (with a concrete slab under each front wheel) sufficiently to cause the water on the roof to run off to the rear. This is something that, years ago, the dealer from whom I bought my first 'van suggested as good practice. Even if roof joints can tolerate long-term water immersion, why subject them to it if it's easy to avoid? (By the way, just to satisfy my idle curiosity, what tyres has your T-550 got and what inflation-pressures do you use?)

Why don't you raise the sides of the roof and have an en-suite paddling pool? In the weather we are havng just now it would be a godsend. Yopu could also store water there to avoid the hosepipe ban . (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Hi Thanks for that - its put my mind at rest a little however i am going to get brownhills to have a look when i take it back on 18/8 for truma update. The tyres are "continental Vanco 215/75 R 16 C 113/111R" re pressure the book indicates low 4.2 bar and hi 4.8 bar. I haven't checked yet as only collected in May and used in within 4 weeks; in retrospect very remiss of me. I will be using shortly so will check current pressure then. Back to water on roof - my drive is inclined back so van stands nose up - but water still pools at front - i my try lifting slightly more see if that makes a difference. Peter

Thanks for the info on tyre pressures. Presumably your 4.2bar(F)/4.8bar(R) are as recommended in the Hobby T-Series User Manual? I've not got a specific manual for mine as no English version was available at the time I bought it, but I note that the 2004 manual for Fiat-based Hobbys that I was given also recommends those pressures for that tyre size. When I collected the vehicle from Germany the pressures had been set to 5.0bar(F)/5.5bar(R) and, when I said these were far too high, a phone-call to the Hobby factory produced a recommendation of 4.9bar(F & R). Ford's Transit manual suggests 3.2bar(F)/4.6bar(R) for an equivalent chassis, while (if your 'van is the same as mine) there is a Ford data-plate on the driver's door-post recommending 3.0bar(F)/5.5bar(R). Anyway, after weighing the vehicle fully loaded and consulting Continental I now use 3.2bar(F)/3.8(R), which seems to provide good handling with comfort.

[QUOTE]peter.maniac - 2006-07-17 6:32 PM Hi Thanks for that - its put my mind at rest a little however i am going to get brownhills to have a look when i take it back on 18/8 for truma update. The tyres are "continental Vanco 215/75 R 16 C 113/111R" re pressure the book indicates low 4.2 bar and hi 4.8 bar. I haven't checked yet as only collected in May and used in within 4 weeks; in retrospect very remiss of me. I will be using shortly so will check current pressure then. Back to water on roof - my drive is inclined back so van stands nose up - but water still pools at front - i my try lifting slightly more see if that makes a difference. Peter[/QUOTE]

Peter

Have you tried running the 'van onto your drive the other way round?  I know this probably sounds illogical, but it sounds as thought the roof "thinks" it is sloping to the front even if the van looks nose high.  Therefore, if you exaggerate the fall, you may reduce the area of ponding.  Won't eliminate it though! 

Oh, and by the way, ours is the same, except the 'van runs nose down.  I don't like it, as I don't trust the seam sealant.  However, I can't see what can be done about it, either!

Hi I did think about turning round; space is ltd and it is just about doable. The problem is my drive is only just long enough and whilst i am relaxed about the front of vehicle being next to pavement i feel nervous about leaving the back in a similar position - completely illogical but there it is. Peter

Archived