Gas-Lo System

Iain Strachan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a twin Gaslow fitted to our van. We found it very handy on our European trip. You need to make sure you get all the adaptors you need so that you can fill up at the pumps in different countries. We were supplied with the full set of 3.

We filled up in France and Germany and had no problems at all, easy to find LPG places. Maybe fill up your new system in the UK so you get the idea while on home territory. When filling up abroad just screw on the relevant adaptor (we found it was obvious which one to use) then connect the filling nozzle in the usual way.

Gaslow supply very clear instructions on using their system.

Have fun.

Paul

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=288  before you go down the Gas lo road have a look at GASIT, I have just fitted  their system and the  gave me  my French and German adapters free I had to buy the Spanish one   from them, I also  bought  adapters from them to allow me to keep my existing Propane Regulators   in use as I did not want  change over valves and wanted to run my Barbi from the second  bottle that sits there full ready to be connected  when the  first bottle empties, I  fitted two 11 kg bottles and associated  hoses and filling point, the total cost was £340 , I ordered the system on a Monday at 2pm and it was with me  at 9am next day, superb service.

In common use are Acme threaded, Cup type, Bayonnet (UK) and the new Euronozzle.

The Euronozzle is also called Euroquick release because the Cup type is also sometimes called Euro Connector. The Euronozzle is in use at many newish Repsol stations in Spain.

Confused? Don't worry, if you get all four you will have what you need.

The hardest bit is finding out how to get gas to deliver. Sometimes they do it for you, sometimes it is self service (But not when the station is unattended like on Sunday).

There is sometimes a red or green knob to press having connected the filler, sometimes you just pull the trigger.

H

Guest JudgeMental
vindiboy - 2012-11-29 2:43 PM

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=288  before you go down the Gas lo road have a look at GASIT, I have just fitted  their system and the  gave me  my French and German adapters free I had to buy the Spanish one   from them, I also  bought  adapters from them to allow me to keep my existing Propane Regulators   in use as I did not want  change over valves and wanted to run my Barbi from the second  bottle that sits there full ready to be connected  when the  first bottle empties, I  fitted two 11 kg bottles and associated  hoses and filling point, the total cost was £340 , I ordered the system on a Monday at 2pm and it was with me  at 9am next day, superb service.

VERY impressed with gasit, there service and helpful advice excellent, I had some leaks and needed parts, new hoses etc...If I needed a new system I would go to them.....

3 was the required amount of adapters, but there is a new euro one, I haven't got it yet but garage I used in Spain lastvwinter had one behind the counter

Guest JudgeMental

spellin police plse note:

lastvwinters i gaves u my hart

nd the verwy next dayz u toks it avays

dis year to sav all d tear ss, i give to somewom specalsssss

We have a single cylinder Gaslow fitted and i agree its great, however when you first use it don't be surprised by the noises it makes when its filling up you could be mistaken thinking something was going to rupture. And beware there is a mighty hiss when you stop filling however none of this is an issue if you are forewarned.

Dave

Ours came with 2 adapters - one which covers everywhere in France and most other places, one which we OCCASIONALLY use in some countries.

Be aware that the "hiss" referred to when you stop filling is actually semi-liquid LPG escaping from the joint as you disconnect. Not a problem, as long as you keep your hands well back (ie in the place designed for them on the handle). I'm told it can be very cold if it hits your fingers!

Iain

Even if you decide on a non-Gaslow system, this Gaslow information file should be helpful. Filling instructions are on the last page and it's worth noting the advice to turn off the gas-bottle(s) at the outlet-valve before commencing refilling.

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pdf/Filling-Instructions-2012.pdf

Refilling employing the bayonet-adapter (as used in the UK) and via the latest "Euronozzle" adapter (as is beginning to be used in Spain) is a relatively safe procedure. But refilling in France and in Spain using a 'dish' adapter

http://www.mylpg.eu/adapters

can result in surprises if the pump-gun fails to attach properly, so It's sensible to wear protective 'rigger' gloves to minimise the chance of frost-bite if LPG should leak onto your hands. (I've encountered three types of pump-gun design in France - a logical one, a complicated one and a daft one.)

This website may be useful as it contains directories of LPG filling stations in France and Spain

http://www.autogas.ltd.uk/refuelling/refuelling-outside-the-uk/

Iain Strachan - 2012-11-29 2:08 PM

Hi folks, have decided to get a Gas-Lo system fitted, what fill adapters should I carry to cover France and Spain? And any advice on using the system much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Iain

A Gas Lo system was fitted to our van when we bought it. We had one Gas Lo cylinder and connected via a swap over valve is a Propane cylinder, which gives the flexibility to use one or the other depending on availability. The intention was to use the propane if the LPG ran out but we only fill up once a season so I have taken the propane bottle out which reduces the weight and gives a nice bit of storage place for non flamables.

We have a contents gauge on the Gas Lo and adapters for France and Italy. We don't run out of diesel so I don't envisage running out of LPG.

As has been suggested above, make sure you wear some protective GLOVES when messing about with gas cylinders an especially when filling - there was quite a large 'hiss' and escape of gas when disconnecting the filler once and if I hadn't had gloves on I would certainly have had very frosty - and painful - fingers!!! 8-)

Hello Iain,

I'm using a single, 11 Kg cylinder Gaslow. I have had no problems refilling in Europe. I carry the now normal set of 3 adaptors. A few weeks ago I raised a thread on Hints & Tips titled "Probane/Butane mixtures at low temperatures". Amongst the helpful responses was one form Derek Uzzell that described how the LPG sold in different European countries comprise a mixture of Propane and Butane in different proportions. Derek provided the following breakdown;

"This is my understanding of the 'mix' of European autogas.

LPG Composition (% by volume) as Automotive Fuel in Europe

Country Propane:Butane

Austria 50:50

Belgium 50:50

Denmark 50:50

France 35:65

Germany 90:10

Greece 20:80

Ireland 100:0

Italy 25:75

Netherlands 50:50

Spain 30:70

Sweden 95:5

United Kingdom 100:0

The higher the percentage of propane in the mix, the lower the ambient temperature that the gas will continue to vaporise at."

The point to note is that if you refill your Gaslow cylinder in Spain, Italy or Greece, the contents of your cylinder might be predominantly butane which, I believe, does not boil off at temperatures near or below freezing. I have had ice form on the outside of my Gaslow cylinder when demanding peak gas supply for the heating after a freezing night. So if you use your motorhome for trips during the cold parts of the winter there is a possibility that you might experience problems if the content of your cylinder is mainly butane.

Have a look at the thread on the Hint & Tips section for advice from folk more knowledgeable than me.

Richard.

Iain Strachan - 2012-11-30 12:28 PM

Thanks all for your replies, all I need to get now is a good pair of gloves.

Cheers

To be honest as long as you keep your hands on the trigger and don't touch the bayonet (twist part) part of the filler whilst gas is flowing you should be o/k i have never been caught out by the freezing gas. 'Till next time that is ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Iain Strachan - 2012-11-30 12:28 PM

Thanks all for your replies, all I need to get now is a good pair of gloves.

Judge I never noticed anny spelling mistakes.

Cheers

Bless you Ian but yiu are one of the good guys. there was an error in previous post and had not time to correct before it timed out....there is a minority of geriatric grammar school boys that delight in nit picking....normally an instant ban on any other forum but this place is an un moderated farmyard

Uncle Bulgaria - 2012-11-30 3:27 PM

Hello Iain,

I'm using a single, 11 Kg cylinder Gaslow. I have had no problems refilling in Europe. I carry the now normal set of 3 adaptors. A few weeks ago I raised a thread on Hints & Tips titled "Probane/Butane mixtures at low temperatures". Amongst the helpful responses was one form Derek Uzzell that described how the LPG sold in different European countries comprise a mixture of Propane and Butane in different proportions. Derek provided the following breakdown;

"This is my understanding of the 'mix' of European autogas.

LPG Composition (% by volume) as Automotive Fuel in Europe

Country Propane:Butane

Austria 50:50

Belgium 50:50

Denmark 50:50

France 35:65

Germany 90:10

Greece 20:80

Ireland 100:0

Italy 25:75

Netherlands 50:50

Spain 30:70

Sweden 95:5

United Kingdom 100:0

The higher the percentage of propane in the mix, the lower the ambient temperature that the gas will continue to vaporise at."

The point to note is that if you refill your Gaslow cylinder in Spain, Italy or Greece, the contents of your cylinder might be predominantly butane which, I believe, does not boil off at temperatures near or below freezing. I have had ice form on the outside of my Gaslow cylinder when demanding peak gas supply for the heating after a freezing night. So if you use your motorhome for trips during the cold parts of the winter there is a possibility that you might experience problems if the content of your cylinder is mainly butane.

Have a look at the thread on the Hint & Tips section for advice from folk more knowledgeable than me.

Richard.

It is, I gather, a bit more complex than even that.

The propane/butane mix will develop a pressure that reflects the relative proportion of both gases present. At temperatures a little below the normal gassing point of butane, the mixture will still gas relatively freely. However, because it is a mixture of both substances, the ability of the propane to gas will be reduced, whereas that of the butane will be increased. The overall effect will be that more propane than butane will gas.

Thus, over time, the proportion of butane in the remaining mixture will rise, so raising the gassing temperature of the mix, and lowering its pressure.

As the mix gasses it also chills, so lowering its own temperature, and further reducing the rate at which it gasses. This temperature drop is broadly proportionate to the rate of consumption.

Depending on the temperature of the liquid gas, and the actual proportion of each present, therefore, it is possible that the growing proportion of butane in the mix will lower its pressure to below normal air pressure, and delivery of gas will stop, even though there is plenty of liquid gas left in the cylinder.

Re-filling will give some benefit, because the ratio of propane to butane will again be increased, but the impact of the butane on the gassing ability of the mix will again be asserted. In very cold conditions, with the heater working at maximum output, the chilling effect of gassing on the temperature of the mix will have its maximum impact. Over time, if exposed to continuous low temperatures, the point could be reached at which the cylinder is full of a mix that is too cold to gas of at any rate.

The only solution then is to warm the mix again, when it will resume gassing, but with a higher proportion of butane at the burner than was present in the mix when bought. For summer use this is of little to no consequence, but may be important for anyone who has filled with a high butane mix, possibly in summer, who then goes winter-sporting, when a high propane mix would be essential for reliable performance.

I am in the process of fitting the gaslow system in my van, but I find it difficult to fit the filler out side the vehcle it can be done but with great difficuty on my van. my question is if I fit the filler in my rear boot locker between the bottles low down as stated in the instructions will I have difficulty when filling in france as Im told they dont like it.

The O ring seals on the filling adapters I have perished after a couple of years. Its a good idea to have an annual check them for cracking.

There is probably a special spec to deal with LPG but as they are a standard size I renew mine at each check with ordinary O rings.

Our usage was about 60 nights non winter on the Continent each year and it took under 2 years for our single bottle Gaslow system to pay for itself.

Archived