Scotland any advise

Dr Dave

We also have had the 'Pip Pip Pip' or long horn blast, on the north of Mull, the spot at Calgary Bay had been 'Blocked' down to 6' width limit, so couldn't stay there, The site at Tobermory was full, so we went up around the North, right opposite the isles of Gometra and Ulva, we had noticed a spot at a 'Passing place' with a large clear hardstanding area right 'tucked in' on the 'cliff' side, (the passing place was left well clear). Anyway, beautiful clear view for miles and miles, about 250' above sea level. very quiet, until Pub closing time, about 5 cars came past (not all at once) and each one toot-tooted, must be a game for the 'local lads' called 'wake up the sleeping tourists' anyway it spooked the missus, who had had to be 'convinced' that we were safe 'Wildcamping'. We were of course, but it rubbished all of my good work of 'convincing'. Ray

Would still do it again, and intend to.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the very best strategy is to try to get to a spot that's completely out of sight, or untrammelled after dusk - though it's not always that easy. I do understand why residents wouldn't want to be perpetually festooned with randomly parked 'vans though and the predominently white colour probably doesn't help.

FWIW Austria is the worst place I've encountered for people objecting-by-horn to overnighting off site.

1footinthegrave - 2012-11-29 7:22 PM

Ah Scotland, probably one of the worst experiences of our lives, grim people, grim weather, grim midges that eat you alive, yes some great scenery on the rare occasions the mist / grey skies lift. Perhaps if you have weeks and weeks to spare you might get lucky on the weather front, but then if your in a midge area at the wrong time and it's humid and damp and calm you WILL get eaten alive. I tried to warn a friend off as well, did he listen, no, result in his words, a complete waste of time and money. :-(

I promised myself I would not get into any forum squabbles but you have excelled yourself as usual 1foot. What a load of tosh which proves you wear blinkers all the time. End.

Scotland is a beautiful country and so easy to get away from the rat race

Guest 1footinthegrave
sshortcircuit - 2012-11-30 3:08 PM

1footinthegrave - 2012-11-29 7:22 PM

Ah Scotland, probably one of the worst experiences of our lives, grim people, grim weather, grim midges that eat you alive, yes some great scenery on the rare occasions the mist / grey skies lift. Perhaps if you have weeks and weeks to spare you might get lucky on the weather front, but then if your in a midge area at the wrong time and it's humid and damp and calm you WILL get eaten alive. I tried to warn a friend off as well, did he listen, no, result in his words, a complete waste of time and money. :-(

I promised myself I would not get into any forum squabbles but you have excelled yourself as usual 1foot. What a load of tosh which proves you wear blinkers all the time. End.

Scotland is a beautiful country and so easy to get away from the rat race

Not blinkers mate, just my opinion, I guess being a Scotsman you've took my criticism personal, no need for that really.

You are right about some of Scotland being beautiful, sadly our experience and that of our friends was the weather and the bloody midges when the sun did put in a brief appearance ruined it all.

As a Scotsman you probably know the western highlands of Scotland is one of the wettest places in Europe with annual rainfall up to 4,577 mm, not tosh, just fact, add in the midges on a still balmy evening, you know just the kind of evening you may want to sit out in, and unless your covered head to foot it's a nightmare, again a fact, perhaps that was our mistake choosing the wrong area to tour as that's where we headed for.

I have no axe to grind other that saying as I did we found the whole experience less than ideal, rain, midges, grey skies, but perhaps the people we encountered were not representative, but we could fully understand their general demeanour considering what they have to put up with.

To the OP, you would be well advised to get yourself a couple of these, if you encounter the midge you'll be glad you did, they are vicious. If you've never experienced biting midges you have no idea of the misery they can give, oh and get some Avon skin so soft, sadly it did not work for my wife who was a real mess after the bloody things had made a meal of her.

midge.jpg.99b087fa914f68205793fd9163c5af07.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

What the hell is that!

Must admit I tend to agree 1 foot. The weather has always puts me oft, the meanness of the people legendary, probably brought about by historic hardship..but better places to relax and enjoy me thinks...life to short.

Just loaned my dingy to englandshire. Yes I am a Scot and it has a lot going for it. To get fuel in perspective my MH will do about 320 miles on a tank of fuel. Plenty of fuel stations in the north well within this range. As far as passing a view of a whole country on a snapshot visit I am glad I only pass through my neigbours to get across the channel as I could easily denigrade them with all the problems they have

There is a Tesco with fuel at Wick on the. North exit from the town.Trouble with wild camping often is that anti social people make a nuisance of themselves and spoil it for everyone else. Many of my favourite spots have been now closed for this reason. I am surprised that some remain open. For example the main car park in Tobermory,Isle of Mull remains open despite one van last year taking up eight car spaces by parking along the row with a trailer and the car parked in front. Often waste water is just dumped on the car park surface.can't last much longer.Also some park on the seafront with the van blocking half the street. Cannot be comfortable and cannot imaging why thay do it. Some are hire vans who do not care what offence they cause and even park in front of houses on residential streets. Members of this forum being" owner occupiers" would not do this of course but they all get tarred with the same brush.

JudgeMental - 2012-11-30 6:11 PM

What the hell is that!

Must admit I tend to agree 1 foot. The weather has always puts me oft, the meanness of the people legendary, probably brought about by historic hardship..but better places to relax and enjoy me thinks...life to short.

What an appalling comment. Presumably all Irish people are thick by your definition. I repeat we are not flooded and have not been subject to the weather extremes that have been reported south of the border. Perhaps you all complain too much. Ill informed comment such as this is what creates the divide between Scotland and England. Two years ago I spent the most miserable two weeks of my life travelling from Malvern to Somerset then to Lincoln up to Yorkshire before fleeing the wind and rain back to Scotland. I would not dream of labelling England with a reputation based on this experience as other do in respect of Scotland. Just remind me, how many shows we're waterlogged this summer and where we're they? Point made I think? These Forums are intended to help our fellow travellers not denigrate a Nation and it's people. Perhaps it's time I left.

Scotland has lots of beautiful places to visit and in order to get the best out of your holiday keep an eye on the weather forecast and go to places where the weather is at it's best (within reason of course!). We've had a few trips up there now and can honestly say that we have had good weather for the vast majority of the time and we didn't go in high season either. The road across to Applecross is wonderful and you must allow enough time to stop on the top to admire the lovely view across to the islands ... breathtaking on a good day.

Guest JudgeMental
p0930 - 2012-11-30 9:25 PM

What the hell is that!

What an appalling comment. Presumably all Irish people are thick by your definition. I repeat we are not flooded and have not been subject to the weather extremes that have been reported south of the border. Perhaps you all complain too much. Ill informed comment such as this is what creates the divide between Scotland and England. Two years ago I spent the most miserable two weeks of my life travelling from Malvern to Somerset then to Lincoln up to Yorkshire before fleeing the wind and rain back to Scotland. I would not dream of labelling England with a reputation based on this experience as other do in respect of Scotland. Just remind me, how many shows we're waterlogged this summer and where we're they? Point made I think? These Forums are intended to help our fellow travellers not denigrate a Nation and it's people. Perhaps it's time I left.

Oh! I forgot...no sense of humour either.

by all means take your squatter settlers who occupy Nth Ireland back home when you nationalise?..best news last year, rangers going bankrupt....

JudgeMental - 2012-11-30 9:36 PM

What the hell is that!

Oh! I forgot...no sense of humour either.

by all means take your squatter settlers who occupy Nth Ireland back home when you nationalise?..best news last year, rangers going bankrupt....

Typical response when losing the debate. As I said point made I think.

What the hell is that!

It is not only Scotland getting comments like this, it is anyone and anywhere north of Watford that have to put up with such clap trap. I am glad that they don't like coming north we dont want them.

Coming from the North East (not of Scotland, the other place whose name I never utter) and being a Geordie, I just laugh at the ignorance, lack of manners and verbosity of some of the people who inhabit the South East corner of the British Isles.

I can only hope to meet these Neanderthals one time and see how aggressive they are face to face. I know the obnoxious cretins that inhabit (and spoil) this forum are not representative of the general population. I suppose the ones who should be offended are their near neighbours and we know talk is cheap. :D

bodach - 2012-11-30 8:57 PM

There is a Tesco with fuel at Wick on the. North exit from the town.Trouble with wild camping often is that anti social people make a nuisance of themselves and spoil it for everyone else. Many of my favourite spots have been now closed for this reason. I am surprised that some remain open. For example the main car park in Tobermory,Isle of Mull remains open despite one van last year taking up eight car spaces by parking along the row with a trailer and the car parked in front. Often waste water is just dumped on the car park surface.can't last much longer.Also some park on the seafront with the van blocking half the street. Cannot be comfortable and cannot imaging why thay do it. Some are hire vans who do not care what offence they cause and even park in front of houses on residential streets. Members of this forum being" owner occupiers" would not do this of course but they all get tarred with the same brush.

agree with most of what you say, except for 'day time parking' what are M/H owners to do when visiting small towns like Tobermory, it actually has a good car park, so, no excuse for parking in front of folks 'Houses', but many havn't or those that have install height barriers. AND we will park somewhere to spend our 'holiday money'. Don't know the answer, BUT we ain't going to 'Go away'.

Ray

Guest 1footinthegrave
sshortcircuit - 2012-11-30 8:50 PM

Just loaned my dingy to englandshire. Yes I am a Scot and it has a lot going for it. To get fuel in perspective my MH will do about 320 miles on a tank of fuel. Plenty of fuel stations in the north well within this range. As far as passing a view of a whole country on a snapshot visit I am glad I only pass through my neigbours to get across the channel as I could easily denigrade them with all the problems they have

Just to put the record straight, I live in Cymru, and it pisses down a lot here as well. One of the reasons we always head south, and the further south the better to drier and warmer climes ( as I see you do ). My response was based rightly or wrongly on our experiences and that of a friend for the OP, that's all mate, don't be so defensive, you know yourself the midge problem can completely ruin peoples holidays, as can the weather. he'll make his own decision just like my mate did........and regretted, perhaps we were both unlucky with the weather, the midges,and a few grim or should I say unhelpful people, lets leave it at that ;-)

However the OP may want to look here for some good information in general,but also where it quotes in regard to Cape Wrath area.....

"My first experience of Strathchailleach came late one spring night when myself and two friends happened upon it during an expedition round Cape Wrath. We’d been walking all day and a campsite free from ravenous midges was proving elusive."

http://www.walkscotland.com/cape_wrath.htm

This whole debate is becoming silly. We live in the UK so weather can be unreliable, if that's an issue in Scotland stick to the East coast but the scenery is not so dramatic. Midges are clearly an issue, I know I was brought up in Lochaber, but they do not exist on the East coast. In any event do biting insects not exist on the continent, I seem to remember they can inflict much worse damage than a midge.

I have met some grim people in Scotland but without exception they have been from South of the Border and are working here as Wardens in Club sites. I will put that in perspective, that these types are very much in the minority.

The reputation for meanness is an old music hall joke and should be disregarded. This is typical Judgemental abuse he is well known for.

What I am trying to say is do not exaggerate the issues. Yes you have to expect some variations as you do no matter where yo go in the UK, but give Scotland a chance, you may be glad you did.

Mountains = lovely scenery, but, as anyone with a minimum of " weather " knowledge knows mountains also attract clouds = rain.

Having had pretty atrocious weather in the Alps,Pecos, Scottish Highlands, Lake District, Pyrenees and northern Norway, I just accept that it is a chance I take when I go there.

So, if you aren't really that bothered about seeing lovely scenery, best to avoid mountains.

Each to his own.

:-|

Just to prove you can't trust the weather in UK. We headed up A1/A68/A9 and then cut across and simlier route back. All the way up east side we went throu rain, when we got to the north east of England the midges where out, once we got to west coast the rain went away and they where discussing having to tanker in water to combat the drought, midges where rarely seen and very fewin number, once we got back to the east the rain returned and so did the midges in large numbers, when we got back to Edinbrugh area there was bad flooding.

When I referred to parking in residential streets I meant overnighting there.I have had them my street to the rage of my neighbours.Also on main street Tobermory overnight.The car park has no height barriers and there is plenty of out of town wild camping places fairly near.No excuse,just laziness.

The thread seems, as ever, to have gone a bit off-topic.

IMHO, Scotland is probably the best area of the UK to tour by motorhome, particularly if you can avoid the school holiday periods.

There is plenty to delight in much of Scotland, but the West Coast above Oban is (IMO, and subject to the weather) equal to the best anywhere in Europe. As Dave expresses an interest in both scenery and sandy beaches, I would suggest this should be the target (though it may spoil the rest of Scotland for him). TBH, getting the best probably depends on the use of a bit of Shank's Pony, or cycling, but I believe Dave has mountain bikes, and these can provide some good trips from a number of the sites I have used.

Midges can be a real pain, but in reality they are at their worse if you yourself aren't moving. People have quoted "seasons" for midges, but in my experience, you can encounter them well outside the times already highlighted. (I particularly remember doing the Skye Ridge at Spring Bank Holiday, and being overrun by midges outside the tent). To be fair, however, having visited Scotland regularly, we've been midge-free more often than not.

The weather is the key to a good holiday. It doesn't have to be bright and sunny to get enjoyment, but it does need to be relatively clear (since the scenery is all). There is not much alternative attraction (to scenery) above Oban (and definitely not above Ullapool).

In terms of real transit (rather than local exploration) road "improvements" have removed many of the single track roads, and made others more driveable. In some cases, I view this as a bit of a retrograde step, since there is some pleasure to be taken from "bumbling" along on a decent single-track road, taking time to savour the difference and take in the scenery. (IMO, a good single track road is easier to use a motorhome on than a narrow two-track!). About the only road I wouldn't recommend for a motorhome on a tour around the (North) West coast is the coastal stretch South of Lochinver via Inverkirkaig (it IS passable, but challenging in a large vehicle, especially if you meet another coming the other way in the short stretch which is "tight"!). I believe Colin has mentioned this further up the thread.

Whilst fuel is quite expensive, there are enough places to fill-up regularly, just don't let the tank get low!

I would start North of Oban, probably via the A82 route via Glencoe to Fort William (good sites at Glencoe, Bunree, and Fort Bill (Glen Nevis), but I'm always drawn rapidly further North). This area is reachable in a day from Mansfield, as long as you don't mind a long drive. Otherwise, a stopover around the Trossachs is a good distance (and Cobleland Forest Holidays site is very friendly, and good if you have a bike!)

For scenery and beaches, a diversion down the road to Mallaig via Arisaig is good (with a few sites in the Arisaig/Morar area - some already mentioned. Camusdarach was good when we were there years ago - and despite rumours of being sold-off, I believe it is still open). You can use the train (subject to timetable) to have a trip up to Mallaig if you don't want to move the 'van.

If you want p&q, a trip over the Corran Ferry, and the site at Resipole Farm near Strontian is a good choice. (Prince Charles/Camilla helicoptered in to here last time we were there!)

Heading North, the A87 from Invergarry to Shiel Bridge would take you to the excellent CC Morvich site, through very scenic semi-wilderness. You'll get to see the iconic view of Eileann Donan Castle.

A diversion onto Skye is a possibility - lots of scenery, not a lot of beaches! The site at Dunvegan is a good one, and you can walk out and watch the seals. The iconic view is from Elgol out over the Cuillin, but I've never taken a 'van there, and parking may be an issue in busy times.

Heading North again, I would stick largely to the coast, and take the road from Lochcarron via Shieldaig through Torridon to Kinlochewe for awesome mountain scenery. I think the locally-provided motorhome stopover in Shieldaig is still there, and the CC site at Kinlochewe is good.

North again along Loch Maree for more stunning scenery, with Gairloch, Big Sand or Inverewe C&CC sites as a target. Good beaches, and grand views to sea of the Hebrides here - A trip out south along the coast road below Gairloch to Redpoint gives a panoramic view (and is stunning entertainment if the Gannet colonies are around - I could watch them "stall dive" all day. Good pub at Badachro as well.

North again round the coast to Ullapool. Inverewe C&CC site is well positioned, and a run along the south of Loch Ewe to the Russian Convoy memorial is recommended, both for the views, and to evoke some sense of the desperate times. If you fancy p&q again, Northern Lights campsite at Badcaul is well rated (I've sussed it out in passing, but not used). Ullapool has a site in town, or to the North at Ardmair Point. (Ullapool is really the last "major" civilisation for miles, so a top-up with fuel, food etc. is worthwhile, and the Ceilidh Place was always worth a visit for a drink/meal, etc.)

I've posted recently about the excellent and relatively new site at Altandhu, on the coast above Ullapool. A scenic single-track journey out to the coast, rewarded by easy access to beaches and marvellous sea (and inland) views. The bar which owns the site is across the road, and does good, if expensive, seafood.

North from there (and probably avoiding the coast road going to Lochinver, as above), the site at Clachtoll above Lochinver is right on the beach, with extensive beaches and good views.

North again (via the coast and into real wilderness) the site at Scourie is fine as a stopover (and bird-watching boat trips if you are interested). There is also (or used to be) a filling station here.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, if the weather is good, a walk out to Sandwood Bay is worth the effort if you're a beach man. The path is pretty easy but it is an 8 mile round trip from the car park at Blairmore, (which accounts for its quitness).

Then on to Durness, where the campsite overlooks a stunning beach, and can be delightful in good weather (and very bleak otherwise). Cape Wrath, Smoo Cave, and though it isn't as "bohemian" as it used to be, Balnakeil Craft Village are all worth visiting.

Don't let the negative comments put you off - go for it and hope for good weather.

....just a few (sunny) photos to show what you're missing (they're the only sunny ones I've got, though ;-) )

Achmelvich.jpg.8590765baec1435933eb0be982e1511b.jpg

Altandhu.jpg.37cdce6b907162fe86fa554a354c6936.jpg

Altandhu2.jpg.c4b7b293a5afbe714863d70ab8e8e17b.jpg

Glencoe.jpg.d6280d9f1f9f72b61cfa61cc8d92057e.jpg

Sandwood.jpg.dae5ca6ab7cc9313b59a0556774235d8.jpg

I would agree with pretty much everthing Robin has said in post above. Do not see why you have to avoid school holidays though, we did months trip in 2008 during August and the whole place seemed deserted. Midges can be a problem but it is very much exaggerated. Weather is like all northern europe, a little changeable, but just be ready for it. If all you like to do is sit in the sun down in Spain then do not go but you will miss a lot.

rupert123 - 2012-12-01 1:24 PM

Do not see why you have to avoid school holidays though, we did months trip in 2008 during August and the whole place seemed deserted.

.....some of the smaller (IMO more attractive) sites can be a little more difficult to get on - I don't like booking. ;-)

rupert123 - 2012-12-01 1:24 PM

I would agree with pretty much everthing Robin has said in post above. Do not see why you have to avoid school holidays though, we did months trip in 2008 during August and the whole place seemed deserted. Midges can be a problem but it is very much exaggerated. Weather is like all northern europe, a little changeable, but just be ready for it. If all you like to do is sit in the sun down in Spain then do not go but you will miss a lot.

Couldn`t agree more.

The more people that go " South " the better as far as i`m concerned.

That then leaves Scotland even more peaceful and quiet for the ones who really appreciate it.

Archived