Scotland any advise

Dr Dave

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While on the subject of single track roads. GIVE WAY TO OVERTAKING TRAFFIC. I make no apology for shouting here. For those of us who live in such areas it reduces us to apoplexy when some idiot bumbles along letting nothing past despite headlamp flashing and horn blowing!

JudgeMental - 2012-11-30 9:36 PM

p0930 - 2012-11-30 9:25 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-11-30 6:11 PM

What the hell is that!

Must admit I tend to agree 1 foot. The weather has always puts me oft, the meanness of the people legendary, probably brought about by historic hardship..but better places to relax and enjoy me thinks...life to short.

What an appalling comment. Presumably all Irish people are thick by your definition. I repeat we are not flooded and have not been subject to the weather extremes that have been reported south of the border. Perhaps you all complain too much. Ill informed comment such as this is what creates the divide between Scotland and England. Two years ago I spent the most miserable two weeks of my life travelling from Malvern to Somerset then to Lincoln up to Yorkshire before fleeing the wind and rain back to Scotland. I would not dream of labelling England with a reputation based on this experience as other do in respect of Scotland. Just remind me, how many shows we're waterlogged this summer and where we're they? Point made I think? These Forums are intended to help our fellow travellers not denigrate a Nation and it's people. Perhaps it's time I left.

Oh! I forgot...no sense of humour either.

by all means take your squatter settlers who occupy Nth Ireland back home when you nationalise?..best news last year, rangers going bankrupt....

Did Rangers go banky last year ?

bodach - 2012-12-01 5:48 PMWhile on the subject of single track roads. GIVE WAY TO OVERTAKING TRAFFIC. I make no apology for shouting here. For those of us who live in such areas it reduces us to apoplexy when some idiot bumbles along letting nothing past despite headlamp flashing and horn blowing!

Just a guess, but I'm betting the headlamps and horn don't particularly help.

Robinhood - 2012-12-01 1:01 PM...About the only road I wouldn't recommend for a motorhome on a tour around the (North) West coast is the coastal stretch South of Lochinver via Inverkirkaig (it IS passable, but challenging in a large vehicle, especially if you meet another coming the other way in the short stretch which is "tight"!)

It is tight but presented few problems for us at 7.18m x 2.44m x 3.39m. There are tougher roads up there! Most <8m motorhomes would get through.

antony1969 - 2012-12-01 6:34 PM

What the hell is that!

Must admit I tend to agree 1 foot. The weather has always puts me oft, the meanness of the people legendary, probably brought about by historic hardship..but better places to relax and enjoy me thinks...life to short.

What an appalling comment. Presumably all Irish people are thick by your definition. I repeat we are not flooded and have not been subject to the weather extremes that have been reported south of the border. Perhaps you all complain too much. Ill informed comment such as this is what creates the divide between Scotland and England. Two years ago I spent the most miserable two weeks of my life travelling from Malvern to Somerset then to Lincoln up to Yorkshire before fleeing the wind and rain back to Scotland. I would not dream of labelling England with a reputation based on this experience as other do in respect of Scotland. Just remind me, how many shows we're waterlogged this summer and where we're they? Point made I think? These Forums are intended to help our fellow travellers not denigrate a Nation and it's people. Perhaps it's time I left.

by all means take your squatter settlers who occupy Nth Ireland back home when you nationalise?..best news last year, rangers going bankrupt....

Did Rangers go banky last year ?[/quote.

Yes they did, driven to bankruptcy by the Westminter Governments Inland Revenue for a tax debt which has now been dismissed by a court. I am not a Rangers fan nor indeed a football fan but I can put my brain into gear before opening my mouth.

What has this go to do with motor homing anyway ( not my words but a direct quote from Judgemental on one of my posts)

As Del boy would say "what a plonker".

p0930 - 2012-12-01 7:07 PM

antony1969 - 2012-12-01 6:34 PM

What the hell is that!

Did Rangers go banky last year ?[/quote.

Yes they did, driven to bankruptcy by the Westminter Governments Inland Revenue for a tax debt which has now been dismissed by a court. I am not a Rangers fan nor indeed a football fan but I can put my brain into gear before opening my mouth.

What has this go to do with motor homing anyway ( not my words but a direct quote from Judgemental on one of my posts)

As Del boy would say "what a plonker".

Charlie , think you will find it was this year , that was my point . Put your brain into gear eh .

We go,to Scotland quite a lot and by and large the weather is OK. Lets face it no mater where you are you are going to get some days when it rains. I do remember one day in Scotland when it rained so to get out of the rain we went on a tour of a nearby distillery!

They do however some times get some very extreme weather. We arrived at Bora one day. Warden "Welcome to windy Bora" me "It's not windy" warden"Come and have a look in our garage". It was packed with the remains of awnings that had blown down the previous night. Every single one on the site had gone and what he had was the remains of those they had managed to find! Then there was the night at New England bay. We wanted a pitch over looking the sea but they had all gone so we had to settle for a more sheltered one. The wind did seem to get up a bit in the night but when I took the dog down to the beach for her early morning walk all the motorhomes owners had got up in the night and turned them into face the wind!

Charlie , I am not seeking a war with you , Judge praised the " fact " Rangers went banky last year and I questioned it knowing it to be untrue . You in your wisdom agreed with him and informed us of your dislike of football and suggested I put my brain into gear . I informed you that you were wrong and you don't seem to like it . You had an upset stomach today or something ?

crinklystarfish - 2012-12-01 7:04 PM
Robinhood - 2012-12-01 1:01 PM...About the only road I wouldn't recommend for a motorhome on a tour around the (North) West coast is the coastal stretch South of Lochinver via Inverkirkaig (it IS passable, but challenging in a large vehicle, especially if you meet another coming the other way in the short stretch which is "tight"!)

It is tight but presented few problems for us at 7.18m x 2.44m x 3.39m. There are tougher roads up there! Most <8m motorhomes would get through.
....unless they met an overladen 'van driven by someone on grandfather rights at one of the blind bends. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Robinhood - 2012-12-01 9:51 PM

....unless they met an overladen 'van driven by someone on grandfather rights at one of the blind bends. ;-)
I've just twigged it, my guess is crinklystarfish would be terrified of an emergency stop if he met a grandfather rights merchant coming the other way with that bloody great shed at the back of his head, just in case his bolts don't hold :D :D :D

Robinhood - 2012-12-01 9:51 PM

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have made it as far as that stretch in the first place.

Hi Dave,

Managed to dig out a few photos for you.

The first 2 are the beach across the golf course at Brora.

Next 2 are Sango Sands.

Last 2 are just the other side of Sangobeg.

Apologies for the quality i had to reduce them to get them on here.

1301836624_Brora1.jpg.78fca08b9d7c729361ff6935337882fa.jpg

1014441493_Brora2.jpg.a24e4ab08433262090930f9871e38d91.jpg

1364516081_Sango1.jpg.d228bdae11f11cfa32d2f65bf3109596.jpg

2018999368_Sango2.jpg.80209af77411564d21cda5179b2e38ee.jpg

1877896780_Crowded1.jpg.a6569f011f25bf850e0d4939ecc6f814.jpg

1004300206_Crowded2.jpg.315568f1794dc7a98151757cfb222dcc.jpg

Wooie - 2012-12-02 7:59 PM

Hi Dave,

Managed to dig out a few photos for you.

The first 2 are the beach across the golf course at Brora.

Next 2 are Sango Sands.

Last 2 are just the other side of Sangobeg.

Apologies for the quality i had to reduce them to get them on here.

Thanks they are stunning. We cant wait to take a few ourselves.

Dave

The Borders region is lovely and then up the East Coast to East Lothian, the home of golf and lovely blue flag beaches. Another helpful piece of info is that East Lothian Council have been 'Loo of the Year' award winners for many years. We are quite civilised here with shops and we even have one or two dual carriageways and even a motorway or two, although if you go as far as Cape Wrath you will encounter single track roads but if there in the summer it will be light for nearly 24 hours. As regards the weather take your wellies and an umbrella after all we are motorhomers and can cope with anything. Last but not least suggest getting an 'Ecosse' sticker (from Halfords) for the back of your motorhome and you will be fine, the natives really are quite friendly!

Archived