avios

kevin hawkins

Thank you Kevin for starting this thread. I don't have Tesco vouchers but plenty of Avios points and I had no idea that you could exchange them for use on the ferries. Unfortunately though they do not do LDLines which I would be interested in. I could have a look at Brittany Ferries though.

Before they became Avios I used Airmiles for the ferry to Ireland I think it was 4000 airmiles +£12 cost of crossing would have been around £230. I think 4,000 airmiles = 40,000 avios.

Does not work out as good as using Tesco vouchers effectively cost over twice as much but at the time I had 1000's of airmiles.

FRANKP60 - 2012-12-03 12:10 PM

Sorry to be thick ,but what are Avios points ,were can you collect them

Change of name from Airmiles when BA teamed up with Iberian Airlines. Not such good value as they now add charges. European flights, Miles + £27 charges. International now not worth bothering with. Used Airmiles for our trip to India was 13000 Airmiles each for World Traveller Plus seats & no charges, using Avios it would have been the equivalent of 10% less miles (10 Avios = 1 Airmile) + £922 charges for two. Cost of flights at the time we booked was £522 each Economy, £1150 each World Traveller Plus. Since last December you can only book with Avios miles.

lennyhb - 2012-12-03 2:13 PM

FRANKP60 - 2012-12-03 12:10 PM

Sorry to be thick ,but what are Avios points ,were can you collect them

Change of name from Airmiles when BA teamed up with Iberian Airlines. Not such good value as they now add charges. European flights, Miles + £27 charges. .

Have flown to Jersey and BAck several times using Avios points,most of which were converted from Airmiles, or bought with Tesco vouchers, always when 'bonus' points were on offer.

Yes,flying from Gatwick the charges (taxes) were £27, but i enquired about using Exeter Airport to Jersey wiht FLybe, and the charges worked out at something in excess of £65, additionally there would have been a charge for Hold baggage, and very small alowance for one cabin bag.

With BA from Gatwick,not only would the hold bag go for free, but you could take a larger cabin bag, plus computer bag on board for no cost.It also appeared that ANY flight was the same number of points with BA (9000 return), despite there being considerable difference in cost if you actually bought a ticket from BA.

FRANKP60 - 2012-12-03 3:58 PM

Thank you Lenny a sensible reply

But, with respect, and ignoring the sarcasm, it wasn't IMHO a sensible question for this forum.

You could have researched the answer yourself via Google in a couple of seconds. :-(

Archived