Annoying Comments

kelly58

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" All in this together "

" taking things forward "

" looking to " do something when you are hoping to, or trying to.

" ... it's been announced in the last few minutes " on TV news, when they've been saying it for over an hour.

the list is endless........................

8-)

spospe - 2012-12-06 12:10 PM

So that it can never happen again.

(If this was possible, then "it" whatever "it" was, would never have happened since antiquity)

Surely it's o.k. to say that, as long as " lessons have been learned" ?

;-)

malc d - 2012-12-06 12:17 PM

Surely it's o.k. to say that, as long as " lessons have been learned" ?

;-)

Lessons being learned is not the same as the learnings being implemented - that always has more to do with cost and entrenched thinking than common sense and reality!

Guest pelmetman

Blue sky thinking.......Thinking outside the box............Thinking outside the envelope *-)

Soon as I hear any of the above I realize the speaker doesn't have an ounce of imagination.............and probably works for the government ;-)

Or some other tax payer funded organisation :D

Guest pelmetman

Check out assistants calling me Duck or Duckie, must be a Northern thing as I never came across it back home down South and it drives me mad >:-(

SUE

JamesFrance - 2012-12-06 7:10 PM

Simples

Never seen that one before James. I wonder who says that?

Still.....................Going forward. :D

the people who seem to have done the 'talking on tv ' course (particularly police) who seem to use big words instead of little words, and all the politically correct modern phrases they can think of, trying to sound intelligent, but end up sounding pompous and silly?

and why do the police have to offer their insincere condolences/commiserationsa to victims relatives, who they dont know from adam, in interview after interview? thats not their job, they would be better getting off the telly and putting their time and effort into hunting the crim. THATS their job.

'Actor' being used to mean male or female ... it just doesn't sound right - much prefer actress.

One thing that Gus, the Editor on the TV series "Drop the Dead Donkey" used to say was brilliant ....

"lets pop it in the fish tank and see if it swims" :D

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-12-06 9:01 PM

'Actor' being used to mean male or female ... it just doesn't sound right - much prefer actress.

If you think that's weird Mel ;-)............when they disbanded the Wrens to allow them to go to sea...........the navy couldn't think what to call them :-S

So they're called Able Seamen :D................

Not strictly "comments" (sorry to go off-thread slightly), more a "visual cliché" about the PLACES where the comments are made.

Have you noticed how TV news programmes have to have a reporter "on the spot" even when it makes no difference to the story at all? Of course, when it's a foreign war or revolution, a reporter on site can tell us what's really going on, how it feels, and what ordinary people involved are saying.

But why do they have to have a reporter outside Scotland Yard, or the Home Office, or a hospital, or Downing Street? More often than not, no-one inside any of those buldings has talked to the reporter personally. All he/she can tell us is what's in any "official" statement - exactly what the producer in the studio knows. So why send them out in the rain? What does that add to the CONTENT of the story? Nothing. It just gives an IMPRESSION of being "on the inside."

pelmetman - 2012-12-06 7:17 PM

Check out assistants calling me Duck or Duckie, must be a Northern thing as I never came across it back home down South and it drives me mad >:-(

SUE

Sue

we do get called names down here , more likely to be Love or Dear. I think it depends on the "Quality"of the shop, one uses.

(I await the brick bats, of Tesco verses Waitrose etc!!)

PJay - 2012-12-06 11:22 PM

pelmetman - 2012-12-06 7:17 PM

SUE

Sue

we do get called names down here , more likely to be Love or Dear. I think it depends on the "Quality"of the shop, one uses.

(I await the brick bats, of Tesco verses Waitrose etc!!)

I suppose it depends on your age ... from what I've observed you only get called Love or Dear when you're an old codger ... :D

“Politically correct” = an idea, or use of words, with which you do not agree

“Like” = “and I was like …” followed by a gesture, or an unrelated, non-simile, phrase

“Quote” = when “quotation” is meant

“Public Sector” = all that is wrong in the UK [ref this Forum]

“Public Sector Workers” = total drain on the UK economy [ref this Forum]

"Public Sector Worker who has a Public Sector Pension" = Spawn of the Devil

“Brain washed masses” = Labour Voters [ref Tracker, on this Forum]

“Raft” = not a thing you made with your friends when you were children to float on a stream or river or lake… but as in “Raft of Policies”

“Robust” = thorough or vigorous

“Uni” [pronounced Uneee] = University = totally useless place for education [ref this Forum]

“Graduate” = totally useless person [ref this Forum]

“Media Studies Graduate” = Waste of a Skin [ref this Forum]

“Guardian Reader” = Useless Specimen of Humanity

“Wild Camper” = Total Hero

“Aires” = where people who are not Total Heroes but Jolly Good Fellows, camp

“Camp Site user” = Tugger [or otherwise Not A Real Motorhomer]

Archived