Caravan Club got it right at last?

spospe

In answer to the post title : Yes, I think they have, the 72 hour rule seems to have stopped the worse instances of the 'booking just in case the weather changes' brigade, although I didn't realise that it included leaving a site early that you had paid for, as well, I was unwell back in November when staying up on a Birmingham site, and decided to leave a day early, I got the full '72 hour rule lecture' and NO refund. I didn't mind, but was suprised, as I was leaving a site empty for someone (and the club already had my payment for it). As long as they still let the 'Customer' choose his pitch from the empty ones available I will be happy. That was the reason I got fed up with the CCC, who always INSISTED on showing me to a site THEY had chosen for me. The pitch at Culzean Castle was little more than a muddy track, and NO I couldn't choose a differant pitch, they were for Caravanners only.

'The Friendly Club' my Arxx, So, I left, and left the CCC. Ray

pepe63 - 2012-12-09 3:09 PM

Sorry to hear about your stint in hospital..and hope you're all sorted now..

To be be honest that email doesn't seem that unreasonable to me... :-S

What would you rather?...Just an email informing you that the late cancellation(or "no show") has been logged against your membership...or the loss of *25 quid?...

People want the issue of "late cancellations/No-shows",looking into and sorting out..So really, an email stating that it's been noted down,would be the very least I'd expect... :-S

(* Just out of curiosity, is that "£25 loss" with the C&CC, the end of it as far as they're concerned then?..or are the number of "late cancellations/No-shows",still noted down, with additional penalties for repeat "offenders"..?)

:-S

Answering the last question first – as far as I know it’s end of story as far as C&CC concerned. Presumably they recognise no one is going to willingly put themselves in a situation where they lose £25. We’ve booked and stayed on a few of their sites since and no mention of any problem.

With regard to the email, you’re right. Reading it again a few months on, it didn’t seem nearly as bad as when I first received it. I must have been feeling very over-sensitive at the time as I found it patronising, even offensive (remember, I was not in my usual sparkling form!)

But, not that I wish my hospital visit had cost us any more money (don’t get me started on travel insurance!) I do think taking a deposit for booking is fair. People can still book ahead and providing they cancel in plenty of time if their plans change, the deposit will be refunded. It should though put an end to the no-shows which would be a good result.

We got a similar email when we left a site one day early because our old dog had been taken ill. We simply left a day early and handed the keys in with no intention of cancelling and claiming a refund. Turned out what had happened is that the wardens knowing the pitch was vacant canceled our booking and relet the site. Not an unreasonable action on their part. We contacted the club pointing out the facts and that we had both paid for the site and simply left early not,canceled the booking. To their credit they both apologised for what happened and sent us a refund as compensation. I'm told this loophole has now been pluged.

I'm given to understand that the wardens can deal with the situation that can arrive if travel conditions prevent the planned movement between sites. Something that happens very often with the Scottish islands.

Archived