chocks away

michele

what is it with these chocks .Do we have to have them to be in the club. I feel so naughty not using them it feels real rebelious . I laugh everytime I get somewhere and see every van chocked. I wouldn't mind but when I get out to look at the ground you could put a spirit level out and it would be straight i have watched in facination boys with there toys and had a right giggle when they have over shot the runway with the wife screamimg at them lol . Does it matter as long as you dont roll out of bed. its fun walking up hill and down . And as long as you get it right the sink still drains depending on which side is up or down of course. the rain runs off easy I am gonna continue to keep mine in there wrappers. has anyone a horror story recently in Le touquet on our wayback to England at the equestrian centre where you can stay for 6E a night there must of been no less than 100 campers 99 with chocks 1 without hehehehehe keep taking the naughty pills

Hi michele, some times if the 'van aint levelish the fridge won't work. Too late when all your food is "gone off" with the fridge not cold enough. Never mind what others do! If you are happy at an angle you stick to what you like best. It's your 'van and your life.

Guest peter
I don't have any, even if I did I couldn't be bothered to use them. Who needs the bulk of them, They take up valuable beer storage space. :D

Guest starspirit
If I can't park level enough to get a decent sleep I usually go somewhere else rather than use drive on ramps (not chocs - too fiddly). These stow in a locker and are worth taking only because now and again we find a lovely spot that does just need a bit of levelling, or we go to a rally or THS where the field is often not level - however not being level usually means better views and less prone to getting stuck. It also provides much entertainment provided by those whose idea of 'level' puts an interesting 'slant' on the meaning of the word! I also carry four 12" square three quarter inch thick plywood pads which I use on soft ground to guarantee me getting away in the morning

Hi- we always find room for our Leveling ramps (not chocks) not only do they allow our fridge to work correctly, but also cook safely without fear of any cooking pots sliding about, and why put up with rolling across or down the bed for a few moments of driving on to them? I dont suggest using them to get the van PERFECT but it is surprising that some ground that looks flat and level is no where near. If we should be parking for a few hours in a car park we do not use them as it gives the impression you intend to stay the night. One other benefit of having them with you is if you should be unlucky enough to have a punture particulary on the rear they can be used to drive up onto to gain height to get the spare out and get the jack under easier. chas

Hi Michelle I can't be too bothered to level, that was untill recently when over a hot weekend we found the fridge would not work properly, the food soon went off, worse still England got knocked out of world cup and all I had was warm beer!

I carry, and use a pair of levelling ramps. Why? Well my table at home doesn't slope so why should I put up with a lop sided one on the motorhome! I drive onto my pitch and check the small two way spirit level stuck onto the dash. Practice and experience means I can now judge whether to put the two levelling ramps in paralel or if one needs to be a bit further forward to compensate for slight sideways tilt. I'm not looking for perfect levelling accuracy and we have in the past stayed for several days with about 5 degrees list to starboard but as it iis so easy to set the 'van up on ramps why not? D.

No I haven't. Before we break camp I take a walk around the 'van to check for things like levelling ramps and hookup cables. Besides, having spent several days with the 'van level and the ramps being bright yellow I know that the first thing to do is roll the 'van off the ramps. D.

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-07-13 9:16 PM what is it with these chocks .Do we have to have them to be in the club. I feel so naughty not using them it feels real rebelious . I laugh everytime I get somewhere and see every van chocked. I wouldn't mind but when I get out to look at the ground you could put a spirit level out and it would be straight i have watched in facination boys with there toys and had a right giggle when they have over shot the runway with the wife screamimg at them lol . Does it matter as long as you dont roll out of bed. its fun walking up hill and down . And as long as you get it right the sink still drains depending on which side is up or down of course. the rain runs off easy I am gonna continue to keep mine in there wrappers. has anyone a horror story recently in Le touquet on our wayback to England at the equestrian centre where you can stay for 6E a night there must of been no less than 100 campers 99 with chocks 1 without hehehehehe keep taking the naughty pills[/QUOTE]

Short answer?  You don't want them?  Then don't take them! 

Now, can I please get back to sleep!  Life's too short.

Docted - peas ... a little ditty my Mum ones told me: "I eat my peas with honey, I've done it all my life, They do taste rather funny ... but it keeps them on my knife!" Enjoy! We use ramps (not chocks) as and when necessary, usually for safety when cooking - you really don't want a pan of boiling water or fat sliding off the hob and it does make it easier to cook food when it's not all at one side of the pan! It also saves you having to catch your cherry tomatoes as they roll off the plate!!! My favourite sport is watching all the caravanners trying to get level and put up their awnings ... but that's another posting altogether!!!

Slightly off subject but after my previous post and saying that I take a walk around the 'van before departure. On Wednesday afternoon I discovered two things; 1/ I had neglected to turn off the gas at the bottle when breaking camp from the Lincoln show. 2/ I had neglected to switch the fridge off gas, also the igniter. On arriving home we emptied the 'van of the usual gear including everything from the fridge and pegged it open for ventilation which menas that for three and a half days that poor little fridge has been going flat out trying to cool the entire world and doing it by gas!!!! I am now producing a pre-"flight" check list which will be laminated and placed in front of the instrument panel on arrival at any site. :$ D.

Archived