chocks away

michele

Having read in one of the Mhome magazines (MMM no doubt) about an unfortunate who parked his Mhome after a long run, and returned to find that the handbrake (on rear disks) had failed when the disks cooled. M/home had rolled across the carpark hitting a a car on the way. He was cautioned (? could be wrong there?) fo not reporting accidental damage, Maybe chocks ar not such a bad idea (?)

Waaayyyy back in the sixties my Father owned a Rover 100 which was a model noted for an appalling handbrake. The lever was oft likened to an umbrella and stood in the drivers footwell just inside the drivers door. On one occasion my Father stopped to make a phone call from the red box at the end of the lane, when he got into the box he realised he had no change for the phone and as it was only a hundred yards or so he decided to walk back to the house for change. When he got back to the phone box the car had gone. The handbrake had failed and the car rolled down the last fifty yards of the lane, across the road and parked itself nose first against the wall of the local primary school. Ever since then my Father has always left any vehicle in first gear as well as setting the handbrake and I have always done this too. Truck racers don't set the handbrake after a race because the drums can expand so much during a race that if they set the handbrake the contraction on cooling is enough to shatter brake drums. They don't leave them in gear though, they prefer to chock the wheels. D.

When we were enthusiastic newbies we bought 4 levels. WHY? We have given 2 to friends with a smaller van, as we bought the small ones and they would be unsafe with the Ducato anyway. Occasionally when bed faces down hill we have found we wake up with a headache. So we sleep in the bed upside down. Getting the bottle open is more important than being level, and our fridge hasn't complained.

Perhaps somebody out there can explain why on my car, an automatic mercedes C class never needs the handbrake when in park, and never rolls back on hillstarts, but my automatic Transit based motorhome needs handbrake control on hillstarts and definately needs handbrake when parked even on the slightest incline.

Dave, Quite agree I always leave cars vans in gear . Never have a problem I was taught this by my dad. I have even taught my children this . But I have also taught them tthat when they get into a vechicle they must make sure that they dip the clutch. After a while it is second nature . I was also told that it takes the strain off the engine . How true this is I dont know but it does stop it rolling. :-S

Hi Geoff, firstly an (true) auto box has a physical lock built in that is engaged when "park" is selected, this is why you don't need to set the handbrake. Mercedes (posh git) have a non roll back system for hill starts that will automatically apply the brakes to stop it from rolling backwards when pulling away, transits don't! I've got two vehicles as well, a 1988 Bedford Rascal and a 1990 Talbot Express (Autohomes highwayman) B-) . D.

[QUOTE]Norma - 2006-11-26 5:13 PM When we were enthusiastic newbies we bought 4 levels. WHY? We have given 2 to friends with a smaller van, as we bought the small ones and they would be unsafe with the Ducato anyway. Occasionally when bed faces down hill we have found we wake up with a headache. So we sleep in the bed upside down. Getting the bottle open is more important than being level, and our fridge hasn't complained.[/QUOTE] I'm still trying to picture how you sleep in the bed when it's upside down ... are you bats or something?!?!?!? Or have I just got a warped mind?! *-)

[QUOTE]Mel B - 2006-11-29 8:32 PM [QUOTE]Norma - 2006-11-26 5:13 PM When we were enthusiastic newbies we bought 4 levels. WHY? We have given 2 to friends with a smaller van, as we bought the small ones and they would be unsafe with the Ducato anyway. Occasionally when bed faces down hill we have found we wake up with a headache. So we sleep in the bed upside down. Getting the bottle open is more important than being level, and our fridge hasn't complained.[/QUOTE] I'm still trying to picture how you sleep in the bed when it's upside down ... are you bats or something?!?!?!? Or have I just got a warped mind?! *-)[/QUOTE]

Mel

When the bed is upside you sleep under it, just like they do in Australia.  This has the added advantage that you feel safer during thunderstorms and gas attacks.

[QUOTE]Brian Kirby - 2006-12-01 10:39 PM

[QUOTE]Mel B - 2006-11-29 8:32 PM [QUOTE]Norma - 2006-11-26 5:13 PM When we were enthusiastic newbies we bought 4 levels. WHY? We have given 2 to friends with a smaller van, as we bought the small ones and they would be unsafe with the Ducato anyway. Occasionally when bed faces down hill we have found we wake up with a headache. So we sleep in the bed upside down. Getting the bottle open is more important than being level, and our fridge hasn't complained.[/QUOTE] I'm still trying to picture how you sleep in the bed when it's upside down ... are you bats or something?!?!?!? Or have I just got a warped mind?! *-)[/QUOTE]

Mel

When the bed is upside you sleep under it, just like they do in Australia.  This has the added advantage that you feel safer during thunderstorms and gas attacks.

[/QUOTE] very funny brian lol lol lol

• 9 months later...
[QUOTE]docted - 2006-07-14 4:24 PM Well done Michelle you certainly got a few pigeons flapping there. The only time I would use them is during the pea season ,purely tostop them running of my knife as I lift it to my mouth. Docted[/QUOTE] resurected . I felt like it because it made me chuckle.

[QUOTE]michele - 2007-09-04 11:36 PM

resurected . I felt like it because it made me chuckle.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that what Jesus said?

Just having skimmed this thread though, why is it so 'square' to want to be level? I rough camp nearly all the time, but I do it comfortably. I don't see why I should be all macho and suffer, just because I was too proud to drive onto bits of yellow plastic.

[QUOTE]handyman - 2007-09-05 7:52 AM you could let the air out your tyres instead, to make you level. this will maintain your ramp free 'cool' look[/QUOTE] Or you could use a spade to dig little trenches where the "uphill" wheels are gonna sit. Or fix up a hammock thingy to sleep in. Or fit chocks/adjustable height levers to the corners of your bed. Or........ just have a couple of bottles of wine before turning in for the night. Hee hee (lol)

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-07-14 11:36 AM I love the guy's who get out the spirit level.... one even had a lazer level now come on guys taking it a tad to far.....[/QUOTE] We have a Level, it came with MMM magazine dangles from me keys. :-D We do have a set of ramps given to us by my father, found them really useful for wedging the beer in the back to stop it from sliding around :-D

Archived