Satellite navigation systems

Guest Jack

I'm considering a satellite navigation system-- probably a PDA plus Tom Tom3 Blue Tooth, but I could be persuaded down a different 'route' if anyone has other ideas/ experiences! One point I'm a little concerned about (before I spend the money) is receiving a satisfactory signal. Our van is an Auto-trail Apache and has an over hang at the front because of the over cab bed. Will this interfer with the sat nav receiver placed on the dashboard picking-up a signal? Many thanks.

Guest trigrem
I have had PDA and TomTom Navigator 3,with all the maps of Europe on SD memory cards, my better half thinks it is the best bit of equipment we bought, she just has a relaxed drive wherever we are going, I use the PDA for other things so I can justify the extra cost of using a PDA with Navigator loaded, with all the maps on seperate memory cards, do not overlook the extra expense of SD cards, and you need a computer to download the maps to the cards, an advantage is that there are plenty of all types of Points Of Interest which can be downloaded. I am not familiar with TomTom Go which uses basically the same software and maps so should be as good, but I beleive the maps come preloaded and I have not compared prices of the extra maps preloaded, and I do not know if it has the facility to download extra Points of Interest, perhaps others on the site will give you more information.

Guest Mark Barfield
I have been using a HP IPAQ with the Tom Tom Go HW/SW. It works fine with my large ovvercab bed and is very valuable. It is not the cheapest and if you want to use it in Europe the CD/lisc package is over £100 extra + the cost of the memory cards. But it is easy to move between vehicles and the PDA is a great too for email diary etc. It makes driving safer (not looking at maps) saves arguments with the other half and gives you a good clear idea when you will arrive. Have seen other systems that friends have got that do not do all of this and dont work well in Europe so I thoroughly reccommend the Tom Tom system.

Guest a.j.mclennan
Ihave a vdo system and this has worked perfectly well in my Burstner 747 in uk and France especially with French c.d. but I wanted to update discs and the cost was unbelievable so I bought a tomtom go I bought a larger memory card so I could download all of the uk and major roads of Europe. To be honest this bit of kit is fantastic once you know how to operate it. I have used it it France and Germany and the major roads of Europe mapping has not let me down yet. This is even better than my vdo system (for my use)

Archived