Snooper SatNav?

Tony Jones

Decided we'll change "Jenny" (our TomTom) in the New Year. She's showing signs of creeping senility.

We want one we can set the vehicle dimensions on, so we're considering the Snooper (the one with campsites etc already loaded).

Just wondering:

1) anyone got one? Are they any good?

2) do they include a good range of French Aires? And CCC CSs?

3) can you download POIs onto them, the same way as with TT?

4) I think I remember reading that you get lifetime free map updates - or was that another make?

Yes we got a snooper earlier this year. This was our first satnav so nothing to compare with. We used it for a trip through germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia. Absolutely no problems. In terms of setting van dimensions I would add a little safety margin, we did initially set exact dimensions and found a bridge at that dimension. It may have been OK but looked tight.

Re campsites, ASCI, camperstop, and bordatlas are all preloaded, as well as CC sites, both in UK and abroad. The ASCI has photos of campsites. We ended up using these instead of campsite books for selecting the next stop. We have also downloaded an aires POI so I would say that there is a really good range of both Aires and Stellplatze.

Adding POI is slightly more difficult as they have to be translated into a particuar format for the Snooper. They have a library of POIs which have been translated and which can be downloaded. It will hold up to 20 personal POIs. If the POI you want is not on the list then Snooper will translate. We have not tried this but they clam to do this in a couple of weeks.

Not sure about the lifetime update although we had a link to a new update before they actually delivered the kit.

When we looked at others Satnavs Croatia was not covered on the European maps, this has Croatia, Bulgaria etc

When I last looked into buying one of these I believe you had to pay an additional sum each year for speed camera warnings. Also the screen shots seemed less clear than TomTom. However, the POIs are useful but those from Camperstop are downloadable from the internet for 3 euros per country and those from ACSI are free.

No idea if the snooper is any good but do not see the point of having pre-loaded stuff like ACSI sites. They change every year, better to download new each year from acsi website and just get the ones in the cheap rate scheme, same with aires etc. I have just bought the Tomtom start60, large 6" screen and lifetime map up dates, seems fine but no vehicle size imput. Personally I am very doubtful about this especially in europe. Small feature with the new tomtom is that they can be set to switch of the speed camera bit when you enter France, tomtom clearly state this makes them completely legal in France and other eu countries that have the restriction on camera detectors.

Tony Jones - 2012-12-10 10:56 AM

Decided we'll change "Jenny" (our TomTom) in the New Year. She's showing signs of creeping senility.

We want one we can set the vehicle dimensions on, so we're considering the Snooper (the one with campsites etc already loaded).

Just wondering:

1) anyone got one? Are they any good?

2) do they include a good range of French Aires? And CCC CSs?

3) can you download POIs onto them, the same way as with TT?

4) I think I remember reading that you get lifetime free map updates - or was that another make?

Tony, I don't wish to be "sizeist" but have you been experiencing problems with your van and narrow roads etc? I ask, because it is not the largest van around, so I would think the benefit from the extra cost to buy would, in practise, be minimal. I believe it remains the case that none of these devices can prevent you going down narrow roads, because road widths are not yet mapped. All that is mapped are the legal restrictions on width and weight, with low bridges etc added. My understanding is that these units will prioritise main roads to ensure the route is generally free of such restrictions, and will only use minor roads where there is no viable alternative, when they will route to avoid any restriction you might violate. My impression is that they will, therefore, tend to use longer routes than are strictly necessary.

There are so many sources of information on the 'net regarding campsites, aires, stells etc, but also supermarkets and other points of interest that, as Henry says, are a) prone to change and b) often in need of correction, that any systems that binds you to obtaining waypoints via a manufacturer, on demand or by submitting files for conversion, seems far more of a hindrance than its slightly dubious benefits bring.

Very good units, at lower cost than the "truck" variety, are available from either TomTom or Garmin, in both cases with "lifetime" map updates (around 4 per year) to keep the mapping current, several from both manufacturers also having lifetime traffic information. Both brands readily accept personal POIs, and many of those that are downloadable from 'net are free and pre-formatted to suit the machine being used.

My only caution, with any unit, would be to check very carefully what maps are included with the it. There are around three versions of "Europe" and, bearing in mind that the lifetime map updates only apply to the pre-loaded maps, the best option, albeit at slightly higher initial cost, is the version that covers the whole of Europe - pretty much from the Urals to the Atlantic.

I would also make sure that whatever you get has an SD, or micro-SD, card slot. At each map update the map files grow, and my experience so far with Garmin is that after two or three updates the map file exceeds the memory capacity of the unit, and has to be in part installed to SD. The cards are relatively cheap, and the units have no trouble using the maps from either source. There is a seamless transition from resident memory to SD, and vice versa. The other advantage of the SD is as a home from your POIs. This leaves the resident memory largely free, improving the response speed of the unit.

There are, IMO, some advantages to Garmin over TomTom, in that the lifetime map updates provide an installer program for your PC, that entitles you to download a further free program to install and view the same maps, and experiment with routes, on a decent sized screen. Further, while using the maps on the PC, one click takes you to Google Earth, centred on exactly the same co-ordinates as the map, allowing you to check and correct POI positions before they are loaded to the unit. This can be extremely useful if wanting to navigate effortlessly to a suitable vehicular entrance to a supermarket in a maze of one-way streets, for example (been there, done that! :-)). Of course, it also requires you to have some idea of where you may go before you depart, or to find a WiFi link en route that is fast enough to handle Google Earth (most seem to be but some "creak").

We have had a Snooper S6000 for nearly two years and it has been excellent in all sorts of situations across Europe and the UK. Free TMC is very good as well.

Yes they are a bit quirky and the POIs are not as wide ranging as Tom Tom but the Navtec software is excellent and you get regular map and POI updates. We paid a one off lifetime subscription for the lot.

Only problems we have found so far are:

1. Downloading the map updates can be lengthy - up to 4 hours (even with Virgin Media 30Mb download)

2. The camperstop aires database is not as up to date as it should be especially in Italy.

3. You need to set your PC screen resolution to "small" when using the POI downloader or you will not be able to see the download button.

4. LPG forecourt database is also not up to date.

We bought the simplest one as we don't need the one with TV - it's not very good I gather.

Might upgrade ours (courtesy of EBay) to the model that incorporates the reversing camera. Any Offers??

Otherwise really good comprehensive ACSI, Bord Atlas and Camperstop databases supplemented by a reasonable range of downloadable POIs.

Getting better as time goes on and they sell more units.

Well worth considering.

Brian Kirby - 2012-12-10 7:07 PM

So, from your experience Ian, would you be able to confirm whether road widths are now being mapped, as opposed to width and weight restrictions? BTW, I think Navteq supply the mapping, not the software. The software, AFAIK, is Snooper's.

Brian - as far as I can tell the Snooper system only gives road width and height restrictions not actual road widths. That would be an almost impossible task wouldn't it? You get a visual and audio warning if you approach somewhere that your van will not go through.

Navteq do supply the mapping but you are right that it's Snooper who provide the interpretive software.

Their website says: "All Ventura satellite navigation systems use Navteq transport data at their core, but are further enhanced with 1000s more attributes combining to give far more cover of hazards and restrictions on more roads than any other sat nav system on the market."

Not sure I am much the wiser after reading that but it sort of explains how they do it.

Their website is pretty good and they say that following recent POI deals their database "Includes over 20,000 sites in 31 countries supplied directly by The Caravan Club, The Camping and Caravanning Club, ACSI, BordAtlas, Facile En Route plus many more!"

Good enough for what I need. :-D

Brian / Ian,

Regarding the 'Source' of Sat-Nav mapping, surely if Google can Film/map most of the paved roads in Europe (the World ?) then Sat-Nav companies can get together and do 'Laser Scan' measurements of the self same roads ? THEN we would get accurate width and obstacle measurements, and hopefully no more Trucks ripping their roofs off or getting jammed down impossible country lanes.

In my naivity I assumed that this had already been done, when Sat-Navs started being sold that required the inputting of Vehicle Dimensions and weights. Obviously not.

I foolishly went and purchased a Tom Tom Go 'Camper Edition' thinking that the mapping was based on 'Modern technology'. not just 'stick to the main roads and you 'should be ok ' BUT might not ! Ray

Just come across the advert in October's CCC magazine, for the Garmin Camper, which includes CCC sites and lots of other camping-related POIs.

THIS is the one I'd remembered, which has lifetime map updates. It also has a micro-SD slot, and being a Garmin can take POI downloads more easily.

So maybe this is the wya we'll go.

Again, anyone any experience to share?

Matrix Meanderer - 2012-12-10 7:53 PM....................Brian - as far as I can tell the Snooper system only gives road width and height restrictions not actual road widths. That would be an almost impossible task wouldn't it? You get a visual and audio warning if you approach somewhere that your van will not go through. ................

Thanks Ian

I had a Snooper 2000 but I sent it back. The 'on board' POIs were not accurate. For example, it told me that there were no LPG outlets near my home town when in fact there are 32. It told me there were no docks within a radius of 60 miles from my home but Liverpool is only 33 miles away. There were others too.

The display was not as clear as My Garmin and I found the Snooper's 'phone support to be poor.

I don't trust any satnav when it comes to providing me with a suitable route for a motorhome. However Garmin provide free software called 'BaseCamp'. You can connect your Garmin device to your PC and plan a route using the mapping on the device via a number of waypoints, thus making sure in advance that you miss those pretty narrow roads and avenues! This route can then be transferred back to your Garmin device.

I believe the Snooper 2000 that I bought is no longer available. Perhaps the later ones have been improved, but then again ...

Tony,

I would check the reviews on Amazon before purchasing any 'camper' Sat-Nav's, it appears the mapping is not that 'precise' for 'oversize' vehicles :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snooper-S2000N-Ventura-Caravan-Motorhome/dp/B0044Y0BL6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1355390668&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Caravan-Lifetime-Traffic-Subscription/dp/B004K6L81U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355391522&sr=1-1

It appears that they ALL just check 'legal resrictions, rather than actual road dimensions, which, to me is a bit 'Useless' and doesn't guarantee NOT being sent down an unsuitable lane/road. a shame as the technology exists for 'Accurate' road measurement, with laser scanners replacing 'Google Earth's' cameras. Buyer Beware ! Ray

Have had Snooper Ventura for nearly two years. Cameras are extra and map updates more expensive than Tom Tom. I had considerable problems when I first bought it which turned out to be software related which took six weeks and a "real letter" to the CEO to sort out. I always take my old Tom Tom with me as insurance. The ACSI sites and French aires POI are useful but do not IMO warrant the purchase. I could not recommend Snooper but as with most sat navs its all a matter of opinion. On the plus side I should say that it has been very good on low bridges, avoiding them that is.

Buy a Truckers Road Atlas if size worries because they use the route restrictions to guide vehicles and stick to the more basic satnav systems. And remember you can be prosecuted in certain situations when fiddling with a satnav or road map whilst driving - you have to demonstrate you are in control of the vehicle at all times. Therefore choose one your passenger can use whilst you are driving.

Brock - 2012-12-16 9:55 AM

Buy a Truckers Road Atlas if size worries because they use the route restrictions to guide vehicles and stick to the more basic satnav systems. And remember you can be prosecuted in certain situations when fiddling with a satnav or road map whilst driving - you have to demonstrate you are in control of the vehicle at all times. Therefore choose one your passenger can use whilst you are driving.

The 'Whole purpose' of Sat-Nav's are that you should be relaxed when driving, not worrying about maps OR re-progamming because the software is rubbish.

The latest versions allow input of weights/height/length/width of vehicle being driven, AND at prices of £300-£400 they should SAFELY guide anyone driving an oversize vehicle around the Paved roads of the Map contained in the unit. If they DO NOT, then I suggest that they are 'Mis-selling' their units.

Mind you,that doesn't mean drivers should throw 'Common sense' out of the window. But at these prices the products should be 'Fit for Purpose' and I shouldn't have to be buying 'paper maps' any more. Ray

I have had a TomTom One v3 Western Europe for more than 6 years and it has been a great purchase. Other than one recent map update (to the latest western europe map) I have only added my own POI files for CC, C&CC, Cls, ACSI, LPG, aires, stellplatz etc. These were very easy to do, i have tried to get them onto a friends satnav (leading brand but cant remember which) and it was useless as was his attempts to find campsites with postcodes etc.It also supposedly allows for the motorhome size parameters yet still he tells me that they 'got lost' or 'went down a road they shouldnt have' with this unit which cost nearly £400!!

Having witnessed other devices in 'action', i will stay with my TomTom - I was thinking about a new one for Xmas but had a map update instead.

My advice, browse the route selected by the unit and check against a map before you set off, if you are not comfortable then forece the device to modify the route with a waypoint or just follow any signs for the portion you are not happy with. The unit will soon reroute and take over guiding you on the modified route.

Well, we've done it. After reading all we could about the various units (including the various opinions on here - thanks all!) we've taken the plunge and ordered the Garmin camping job, in time to get the "CCC members' cashback" which is available til Christmas Eve.

So that's our Christmas present to ourselves!

Hi Tony,

Good move I think, my wife bought me the Dezl 560 from the CCClub a couple of weeks ago as my early Christmas present, like yourself to get the £50 cash back . All seems o/k with the unit, good clear screen,like the voice audio slider. Have bought the travel charger kit from Maplins (£14.99) as there is only computer charging with the bundle. I have also downloaded the manual from Garmin to make life easier .

Enjoy

Tony Jones - 2012-12-16 1:12 PM

Well, we've done it. After reading all we could about the various units (including the various opinions on here - thanks all!) we've taken the plunge and ordered the Garmin camping job, in time to get the "CCC members' cashback" which is available til Christmas Eve.

So that's our Christmas present to ourselves!

How about a review as this one is on my list of possibles. I'm told Garmin maps are not as good as TomTom but some first hand feedback would be helpful.

Archived