french breathalyzer

ROOKY

Tony, yes that may be the case, but as this thread started with the French breathalyser, I more than suspect that the French Polis, don't give a hoot or a honk about what we have stuck, on the cars, here or there. I do know that in a lot of places Ecosse is more welcome than Eng. its the Old Alliance! Off to sharpen my dirk now, only joking.

Mother always told me not to talk, religion or politics in pubs, but she didn't like my beard either!

Well said Mike just do it now!

Iain Strachan - 2012-12-11 2:12 PM

...this thread started with the French breathalyser, I more than suspect that the French Polis, don't give a hoot or a honk about what we have stuck, on the cars, here or there...

I'm sure you are right about French police being indifferent to the fine detail of EU registration-plate regulations and, when waiting for a ferry at a UK port, it's very evident that many UK motorists will be in breach of those regulations when they disembark.

If people wish to educate themselves regarding the regulations relating to registration-plates and whether they'll need a GB sticker on their vehicle, it's very easy to do via GOOGLE. Even the regulations relating to the size/shape of a GB sticker are accessible on-line.

There again, ignorance is said to be bliss...

Wirralian - 2012-12-12 4:59 PM

Glad that I read this thread. Going for the winter sun on 10 Jan and travelling through France on our way back. The French breathalyzer kit can now be crossed off my shopping list beforehand.

John :-D

But only if you won't be driving in France after 28 February 2013.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2012-12-12 6:56 PM

Wirralian - 2012-12-12 4:59 PM

Glad that I read this thread. Going for the winter sun on 10 Jan and travelling through France on our way back. The French breathalyzer kit can now be crossed off my shopping list beforehand.

John :-D

But only if you won't be driving in France after 28 February 2013.

Phew...........we get the train back then B-)....................that's another 2 euro saved :D

JamesFrance - 2012-12-12 7:41 PM

There is a French campaign to cancel the breathalyser law, I have signed their petition.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.camping-car.org%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3Darticles%2FdroitCommerce%2FethylotestObligatoire

Some inaccuracy in the Daily Mail-style article - there is still no legal requirement to carry more than one breathalyser in a vehicle while driving in France. Also, the French law was in 'skeleton' form for many years before the types of breathalyser that would be legally acceptable and an implementation date were agreed. So it's nonsense to claim that the law was rushed in.

The law is bound to make money for the manufacturers of the breathalysers and the vendors (and, if VAT is applied to the products, for the tax authorities). I would have thought that should be blindingly obvious. But that doesn't automatically make it a bad law.

If €2 per motorist for a 2-year period (the normal 'shelf life' of a disposable breathalyser) raises awareness of drink-driving throughout France and results in a significant reduction in French alchohol-related accident statistics, that seems a small enough price for drivers in France to pay. What's a realistic alternative - TV adverts at Xmas like in the UK?

I don't care if graft was involved and/or some people/companies made/will make outrageous profits. Unlike the half-baked French 'speed cameras' law, this one seems rational, easy enough to understand and implement, won't break the bank as far as motorists are concerned, and has a sporting chance of doing some good.

You'll be unsurprised to learn that I shall not be signing the petition.

Actually I would be very surprised if the petition/powers that be will accept a UK address. I should think that you would have to be a resident in France or at least have a French address.

What does surprise me about this law is the ridiculously small fine for non-compliance. I have probably spent more than that on fuel trying to find some of these things. I did manage to buy one in February but would have liked another to moving from one vehicle to another. I searched in March and April and from June to October with no success. During that time I travelled to other areas but still did not find any. Think you must have been very lucky! I have also read that the price is rising and they will (if you can find them!) cost about €5 to €6 in France next year.

Patricia - 2012-12-13 10:27 AM

...What does surprise me about this law is the ridiculously small fine for non-compliance...

I agree that it is a relatively trivial amount (€11) compared to the French fines that can be imposed relating to high-viz jackets and warning triangles

http://www.gendarmerie.interieur.gouv.fr/fre/Sites/Gendarmerie/A-la-loupe/Securite-routiere-Gilet-et-triangle-de-presignalisation2

but I see the breathalyser law more as a publicity exercise than a legal clamp-down.

There is a difference between high-viz jackets/triangles and breathalysers, as the motorist is obliged to use the former in certain situations, whereas the only obligation with the breathalyser is to carry one in the vehicle. No idea if that would influence how much the fine should be though.

It's perhaps worth highlighting that disposable breathalysers meeting the French norms have been (and are) readily available in the UK. I accept that these are likely to be more expensive than if bought from a French supermarket, but if a UK motorcaravanner really wants 'em, there's no need to search hopefully for them in France. One caveat, I guess, is that the postponement of fining until March 2013 will reduce the legal 'life' of existing stocks of disposable breathalysers.

Archived