Morocco

Groats

Went to Morocco 2 years ago, staying in a 5 star all inclusive hotel in Agadir.

It was very nice, but not as warm as Canaries (we went in April).

Max temperature was about 20 C going down to about 5 C at night.

Saw plenty of German and French motorhomes and the local traffic Police

were happily stopping anybody who looked like they had a few quid.

Took a 4x4 into Atlas Mountains which was great.

Food and drink was very good.

Had a very nice holiday, no idea how long it would take to drive there.

Took 2 1/2 hours in a jet.

yourr carefree guide will tell you everything you need, or you could email the moroccan tourist office who will give you info on driving/documentation, lists of campsites and tourist brochures. anything you want really. when i asked them about wild camping they said it is permitted.

when i was there 4 years ago (oct. ramadan) we felt very safe, everyone was warm, friendly and helpfful. it was 40 degrees and my only run ins with the police were 1) when i was unable to find the campsite in iforde, a plainclothes policeman told his uniformed colleague to take us there. 2) when i asked directions from 3 policemen eating at a roadside shelter, they sat me down and gave me food, then when i said i must go, as my mississ was in the 'van, they gave me an armful of cakes for her. 3) when i asked to overnight at a police station, thery checked there were only the 2 of us, and said fine.

so its not scary, and if you dont use the services of the experts (who will look after you ), then its cheap as chips to freelance.

i am open to any info from those who are regulars, or have been recently, so are more qualified to give an opinion.

Hi Groats

I agree with Keith R, we were in Morocco in Jan/Feb of this year and had an amazing time. The locals are friendly and stuff is cheap - don't be afraid to haggle (unless it's food, then you don't haggle). We were there for a month and kept a daily blog of our trip - this is the first post:

http://ourtour.co.uk/home/africa-were-in/

you can move onto the next day at the bottom of the page. We travelled independently so you should be fine with a guide - depending on what time of the year you are going you might want to take warm clothes - we had snow on the ground at one campsite in the mountains, and it's chilly in the evenings over winter.

Have a great time, I'm a little bit jealous! We're heading south in Italy right now and hope to make it to Tunisia early next year, better get doing some reading up, another new place :)

Juie

• 4 weeks later...
We were there ( with friends not organised trip) Feb 2010. Rained the whole time. Roads, except the motorway on the west coast were not great. People and food were great. Campsites leave a lot to be desired but been to worse in France in the 80,s. Left after a week as the weather was so bad having only reached Casablanca. However would go back, in fact just booked a week in a hotel in Marrakesh. Will go back in motorhome when we can. Enjoy.

That's bad luck Harcourt3. We were there in Feb last year and it was warm and sunny in the day, but cold at night. Our plug in electric heater saved our precious gas (no LPG stations over there) but there was snow on the ground in the mountains - loved it!

Enjoy Marrakesh but beware of the men with the snakes in the square, they tried to charge my mate £30 to have his photo taken with them. By all means have a photo, but as with everything else in Morocco - agree a price up front!

Julie

Archived