Gaslow DIY

cerro

Hope this might help some one fitting it them selfs, I fitted one No 1 bottle on my IH van as I already had a full red calor bottle on board so I have the best of both systems and the No1 bottle was in case I replaced the calor bottle later with a No2 bottle. I decided to fit the fitting kit inside the rear locker when members told me there was no problem filling up abroad. very simple to fit it, I bought all my gear from Hamiltons in Bangor Irland and it was deliverd two days later with all instructions.

6kg Cylinder £88.00

Filler kit with 600m hose £54.00

French adapter £12.7

Propane to Gaslow adapter £4.50

Blanking cap £3.10

L bracket £15.28

All plus Vat Delivery was free, The blanking cap is probably not nessesary but I fitted one just to be safe its where the hose fits to connect to the No 2 bottle at a future date and the adapter most people wont need. I have just been to a garage (15 miles) and filled up the bottle arrived home and checked all the pipes with soapy water then switched on and works fine I used plummers tape on all threads Hope this is usefull to anyone thinking of DIY. For any IH owners the garage nozzle wont fit in the locker to fill up but if you turn the fitting kit 90 degrees clock wise you can then get the nozzle in side ways to fill up with no problems.

cerro - 2012-12-11 8:32 PM

Hope this might help some one fitting it them selfs, I fitted one No 1 bottle on my IH van as I already had a full red calor bottle on board so I have the best of both systems and the No1 bottle was in case I replaced the calor bottle later with a No2 bottle. I decided to fit the fitting kit inside the rear locker when members told me there was no problem filling up abroad. very simple to fit it, I bought all my gear from Hamiltons in Bangor Irland and it was deliverd two days later with all instructions.

6kg Cylinder £88.00

Filler kit with 600m hose £54.00

French adapter £12.7

Propane to Gaslow adapter £4.50

Blanking cap £3.10

L bracket £15.28

All plus Vat Delivery was free, The blanking cap is probably not nessesary but I fitted one just to be safe its where the hose fits to connect to the No 2 bottle at a future date and the adapter most people wont need. I have just been to a garage (15 miles) and filled up the bottle arrived home and checked all the pipes with soapy water then switched on and works fine I used plummers tape on all threads Hope this is usefull to anyone thinking of DIY. For any IH owners the garage nozzle wont fit in the locker to fill up but if you turn the fitting kit 90 degrees clock wise you can then get the nozzle in side ways to fill up with no problems.

Plumbers tape ??? If this is ordinary PTFE tape it is not suitable for gas installations. Soapy water should not be used either as it promotes corrosion, use proper leak detector fluid if possible. B-)

Rightly or wrongly I have always understood that good quality olives and compression fittings should not need anything else to seal them if properly cleaned and fitted, but I would use calortite jointing compound around the olives only and NOT on the threads if any jointing sealant is needed?

Having used very dilute washing up liquid in either a fine spray aerosol bottle or painted on with a small artists type brush (or a cleaned and recycled brush on car touch up paint canister) for over 30 years as a leak detector I've yet to see any worthwhile evidence of corrosion on any joint so treated - but you do sometimes see a white powdery residue when the liquid has dried.

That's just my own non expert and amateur personal experience - but it works for me!

Really begining to get upset by this forum. Some time ago I was told my Truma boiler was going to end up like a colander because I used milton sterliser. Now when I read this posting all my Gaslow joints are going to corrode and it will leak all over the place. Can somebody please advise me how long it will take the soap bubbles to eat away my pipework

sshortcircuit - 2012-12-11 10:32 PM

Really beginning to get upset by this forum. Some time ago I was told my Truma boiler was going to end up like a colander because I used Milton steriliser. Now when I read this posting all my Gaslow joints are going to corrode and it will leak all over the place. Can somebody please advise me how long it will take the soap bubbles to eat away my pipework

Hint.

It will take a lot longer than you can hold your breath for!

Really begining to get upset by this forum. Some time ago I was told my Truma boiler was going to end up like a colander because I used milton sterliser. Now when I read this posting all my Gaslow joints are going to corrode and it will leak all over the place....

..and don't forget damp..leaking window/skylights...over-aged tyres..overloaded axles..mice infestations....etc etc 8-)

..forums can sometimes make it seem as if everything is out to get us!? (lol)

The brass connections will not corrode away or even through in your lifetime because of a bit of washing up liquid but it can make the threads poor. Simple question is why introduce corrosion if its not necessary? Leak detection fluid is cheap and doesn't cause corrosion so why scrimp for a few pennies?

Ordinary "plumber's tape" PTFE tape is thinner than the gas version but to be fair neither should be used on this job. The filler pipes all seal on a taper and just need to be tightened up sufficiently (FT usually suffices ;-) ) The take off hoses or pigtails as they're more often referred to have sealing washers built in so again no tape required.

From a professional viewpoint I worry about DIY gas work especially when people don't understand whether or not PTFE tape should be employed.

D.

If you are going to use compression joints make sure that you place the olive on the pipe then tighten it all up, do NOT do what our dealer's fitter appears to have done on our Rapido when he put on the faulty bbq point (see link to thread above) and just push the pipe into the compression nut with the olive inside hoping that it was straight! 8-)

As Dave says, you should NOT need to use PTFE or any type of tape - it shouldn't be needed if you do the job properly.

pepe63 - 2012-12-12 8:35 AM

Really begining to get upset by this forum. Some time ago I was told my Truma boiler was going to end up like a colander because I used milton sterliser. Now when I read this posting all my Gaslow joints are going to corrode and it will leak all over the place....

..and don't forget damp..leaking window/skylights...over-aged tyres..overloaded axles..mice infestations....etc etc 8-)

..forums can sometimes make it seem as if everything is out to get us!? (lol)

As someone who has actually had to deal with the effects of two mice in my motorhome all I can say is do not underestimate the destructive partying potential of mice, you will never forget their visit. :-D

I think you will find that the adapter to calor bottle needs tape but not the hose to adapter, and the sealing cap needs tape as they are just nomal threads if I remember right, there oviously was sometype of seal but tape wont do any damage and it is specialy for threads I have used tape on three central heating systems I fitted in the past with no problems. whats better than soap for making bubbles. causeing rust !!!!! good god.

cerro - 2012-12-12 7:24 PM

I think you will find that the adapter to calor bottle needs tape but not the hose to adapter, and the sealing cap needs tape as they are just nomal threads and dont have washers or sealing systems I have used tape on three central heating systems I fitted in the past with no problems. whats better than soap for making bubbles. causeing rust !!!!! good god.

What adapter to calor bottle? There isn't one mentioned in your list. If you mean the Gaslow hand wheel adapter to allow a Gaslow female nut pigtail to connect to a Calor cylinder "POL" tap then you're wrong I'm afraid, it doesn't need tape as there is a rubber washer in the female nut on the pigtail and a rubber seal on the tapered end of the adapter. If its a different adapter you refer to then I apologise but would appreciate it if you could clarify which adapter you are referring to. The blanking cap seals on the taper so does not need tape. Tape is NOT necessary in the installation of refillable gas cylinders of any make that I've come across.

Yes soap(y water) makes bubbles when gas passes through it but so does LDF which is non corrosive and cheap.

D.

Thanks for posting the costs of the Gaslow.

By way of comparison, has anyone have an idea of what it would cost to have a separate chassis tank installed ?

. I am thinking along these lines to gain space by not having bottles and using the locker for wet storage.

Rgds

cerro - 2012-12-12 7:24 PM

whats better than soap for making bubbles. causeing rust !!!!! good god.

Whilst I have used 'fairy liquid' for leak detection when pressure testing tanks, it's best to remember it has a high salt content and needs washing off from bare metals that might be prone to corrode.

tonyishuk - 2012-12-12 7:42 PM

Thanks for posting the costs of the Gaslow.

By way of comparison, has anyone have an idea of what it would cost to have a separate chassis tank installed ?

. I am thinking along these lines to gain space by not having bottles and using the locker for wet storage.

Rgds

We had a quote to have a fitted tank instead of our Gaslow system and it would have been 3 times the cost - over £700, hence we decided to stick with our Gaslow system.

For the money, it might be better 'value' to consider having a Beeny Box fitted instead as you'll likely get more storage space for the outlay:

http://www.beenybox.co.uk/faq.html

Propane to gaslow adapter £4.50 Its about 3" long threaded inside on both sides on the list.

It works there are no leaks, so I use tape and soapy water Whats the problem I put this thread on to help people price wise, not for people to nit pick.

Me thinks its because I have put very very cheap prices on here for DIY and of course you fit them for a living, and not at them prices, thats what me thinks is the problem.

cerro - 2012-12-12 11:31 PM

Propane to gaslow adapter £4.50 Its about 3" long threaded inside on both sides on the list.

It works there are no leaks, so I use tape and soapy water Whats the problem I put this thread on to help people price wise, not for people to nit pick.

Me thinks its because I have put very very cheap prices on here for DIY and of course you fit them for a living, and not at them prices, thats what me thinks is the problem.

On the contrary Gordon, I don't give a monkey's wotsit how little you paid and I'm sorry you see my comments as "nit picking" but if you think of this thread as advising other motorhome owners/users then itsworthwhile their being advised of the correct way to do the job and PTFE tape is just not required.

I didn't recognise the "propane to gaslow adapter" in your list as being the same item as you gave it a different name. Sticking to one terminology helps greatly in keeping information clear and informative.

Sadly once again when I try to advise on here I get it thrown back at me, this is why I post so rarely on this forum now.

D.

Dave Newell - 2012-12-13 6:44 AM

Sadly once again when I try to advise on here I get it thrown back at me, this is why I post so rarely on this forum now.

D.

Just for the record Dave, most of us value your input on here even when we don't always agree with it!

Nil carborundum illegitimus!

Happy Christmas!!

Archived