Gaslow DIY

cerro

Guest JudgeMental
Yes...Dave has always been a great help in My time of need just a shame he is so far away from us. Please don't listen to someone without the competence to know the difference between gas and water PTF tape....... If you get your bits from GasIt they inclose a non corrosive test spray gratis well they did with my order.

cerro - 2012-12-12 11:31 PM

Me thinks its because I have put very very cheap prices on here for DIY and of course you fit them for a living, and not at them prices, thats what me thinks is the problem.

Gordon, I think you owe Dave an apology for that, it was very uncalled for. Not everyone is able, or confident enough, to install their own refillable gas bottles and Dave certainly does not rip people off with the charges he makes for his labour - without Dave a lot of people would be paying well over the odds for others to do the work for them and wouldn't be as certain that they'd had a very good job done either. Tell me what other motorhome repairer/equipment installer/service centre bothers to come on here and give advice freely? Dave had helped a lot of people, including me on various things (even though I did DIY my Gaslow system ... shock horror!!!).

What is the problem, there are vents at the bottom of the lockers in case of leaks so joints are not foolproof I put the proper tape on to make it safer. So called experts are not always right.

I have no intension of carrying on this tit for tat, this is my last post on the matter.

Mel I do not owe anyone an apology and certainly not some one I have no respect for in any form or way. If any thing he should apology to me. And not for any thing on this post

Guest 1footinthegrave

I'm coming to this thread late, and I have not read through it all, here's my take

I always did all my work in years gone by, Gas . Electrics, mechanical you name it, but as I've grown older and unable to scramble about under vehicles with gearboxes on my chest etc I have found many cowboys posing as experts, or competent with not always the desired results, having said that we're all human and can have an off day, it happens.

I have this year used Dave's services a couple of times which involves a 180 mile round trip, why because he is a shining light in a sea of blackness, and he cares about his business, unlike the "professional" I used to go to locally.

In my experience he is of the old breed someone who endeavours to do the best possible job, and someone who gives excellent customer service and keen pricing.

If he takes the trouble to give free advise on here that's our gain, ( like Euroserv ) I for one appreciate that as I'm sure many others do, so let's keep it that way and welcome his knowledgeable input without derogatory comments, there is simply no need for it.

I could be temped to say it's no surprise a Scotsman wants to save some cash with a bit of DIY, but I won't :D

cerro - 2012-12-13 2:42 PM

Mel I do not owe anyone an apology and certainly not some one I have no respect for in any form or way. If any thing he should apology to me. And not for any thing on this post

Ah, I see, so it appears you have an ulterior motive and have just used this opportunity to have a go at Dave for whatever reason. >:-(

Obviously you appear to believe that it is okay to make unfounded accusations about someone who is well respect by a lot of people ... I think I'll stay in the 'camp' with extremely vast majority who have a high respect for Dave, so it looks like you might be 'camping' on your own with your view. :-|

Comee on people lets keep it civil eh? I have no problem with people DIYing to save money as long as they are competent at the task in question. The fact that Gordon has used "plumber's tape" (still not been confirmed as PTFE of the correct grade though) is not a major issue, it just isn't neccessary on these types of connections. All the pipe connections in a refillable cylinder installation either seal on a tapered face or with a rubber washer and therefore none of them require any type of sealant or tape. The fact that Gordon has used tape is unlikely to cause a leak. My worry is that I, as a professional am legally obliged to "prove my competence" which I do by training and certtification which is renewed every five years for this particular type of work but anyone who owns a motorhome or caravan can, quite legally do anything they wish to the gas system without even having to read the instructions. When someone does such a job and uses sealant or tape where it is not required they actually demonstrate their lack of understanding of the equipment they're putting together, this concerns me greatly, especially as I might end up camped next to them somewhere. The filling side of a refillable gas system will contain LPG in liquid form at around 100 psi, that's a fair bit of pressure. A 1.5 metre hose will contain about 1-1.5 litres of liquid. If there is a leak and that liquid escapes to atmosphere it will expand by 333 times making anywhere between 333 litres and 500 litres of gas vapour which is quite a lot!

Keep on DIYing those who are able and competent, those who aren't should just pay someone who is to do the job properly.

That's it, I'm out of this discussion now.

D.

Mel B - 2012-12-12 9:58 PM

tonyishuk - 2012-12-12 7:42 PM

Thanks for posting the costs of the Gaslow.

By way of comparison, has anyone have an idea of what it would cost to have a separate chassis tank installed ?

. I am thinking along these lines to gain space by not having bottles and using the locker for wet storage.

Rgds

We had a quote to have a fitted tank instead of our Gaslow system and it would have been 3 times the cost - over £700, hence we decided to stick with our Gaslow system.

For the money, it might be better 'value' to consider having a Beeny Box fitted instead as you'll likely get more storage space for the outlay:

http://www.beenybox.co.uk/faq.html

Many thanks, I could buy quite a few refills with the difference !! Anyone else had this done ?

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2012-12-13 6:25 PM

Mel B - 2012-12-12 9:58 PM

tonyishuk - 2012-12-12 7:42 PM

Thanks for posting the costs of the Gaslow.

By way of comparison, has anyone have an idea of what it would cost to have a separate chassis tank installed ?

. I am thinking along these lines to gain space by not having bottles and using the locker for wet storage.

Rgds

We had a quote to have a fitted tank instead of our Gaslow system and it would have been 3 times the cost - over £700, hence we decided to stick with our Gaslow system.

For the money, it might be better 'value' to consider having a Beeny Box fitted instead as you'll likely get more storage space for the outlay:

http://www.beenybox.co.uk/faq.html

Many thanks, I could buy quite a few refills with the difference !! Anyone else had this done ?

Rgds

We considered an underslung tank to free up interior space, was quoted roughly £1000 so gave it a miss, lucky we did as we find we have too much storage.

I installed my own 2 x 11kg gaslows.

Had a small persistent leak on both SS pipes on the fill side of the bottles. These connections are machined metal to metal faces. I started off with them finger tight, and gradually nipped them tighter, but they still leaked.

I then applied a smear of 'gas tight' paste to the surfaces, and that cured it, no leaks for the last 12 months, and I check regularly.

regards

Allen

Another vote for Dave and hope his welcome contributions continue.

I do everything myself and consider myself confident I also if I don't understand anything I thoroughly research if first, as Dave says if you don't understand what you are doing get someone who does.

I've seen a caravan go up in flames as the result of a gas leak completely destroyed in a few minutes lucky there was no one in it or near at the time, it was on a busy campsite.

Archived