Some Tolls

fairweather camper

Hi

We are travelling to Benidorm in January, I have been given conflicting routes by different people, what I would like to know is, is it sometimes advisable to use tolls if not very long and not too expensive up to about 10 euros, we are thinking of the Route Abbyville, Rouen, Poitiers, Bordeoux, San Sebastion, Pamplona, Zaragoza, Teruel, and on to Benidorm. Is this a good route? and are there patches where it is prudent to use Toll Roads.

Your valued comments are awaited with baited breath 8-) :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Thats the way we went last year for our fist visit and it was fine. used toll to Rouen (not much) and then no tolls till after bordeaux I think... then we paid them in Spain as campers class 1 so very reasonable ...

use the search function lots of stuff on this....

Use toll until past Rouen and use tolls round Potiers, then we use the toll to cross the border. From then on the roads are good if not excellent, so no need to use the toll roads, but they are cheap in Spain anyway so we sometimes go on them.

The route you mention is a good one, there are others and we have done them all over the years, but it's best to keep away from the high passes in January, it snows, a lot.

Lots of free places to stop if you need an overnight, there are places all down through Spain, just stay away from the motorway services.

H

mgain - 2012-12-12 4:26 PM

there is an aire at pont de la arche, just to the right of rouen, and you miss rouen out this way,its in the aires book

Thanks mgain, It is not in our Aire Book, but I googled it, but no map. My Husband thinks it is quite a way off of our route, is he right ?. If it is, how far off route is it.

Thanks

We dislike paying tolls, but one worth paying is on the A16 Boulougne bypass, across 2 big viaducts, it saves you going down a big hill, through the suburbs, and back up again. We come off at the first junction after the toll and then go down the old N1 road through Montreil - always quiet, and only takes 25 minutes extra to the toll road to Abbeville - then you can get on free autoroute to Rouen.I can recommend the aire at Pont L'arche, very close to the village with good shops, though not much restaurant choice. Also recommended is a good chip van at Samer, 20 km south of Bolougne on the old N1, seems to be always open with plenty of truckers.

Guest pelmetman
Mickt - 2012-12-12 5:20 PM

Easy run to Rouen, there is an aire at Buchy before Rouen , it,s at the school just on edge of town.

The Aire at Buchy can be very noisy as all the school coaches park up there and start their engines up around 6 o'clock in the morning >:-(

We much prefer Forges Les Eaux.

SUE

its not really that far off route, as this way helps to miss the traffic in rouen,which can be terrible at times,and this diverts you around rouen,also it is open all year, as the aire is outside the municipal camp site,you can see where the motorhomes park on one of the photos,nice and quiet and good for an overnight stop.

fairweather camper - 2012-12-12 4:15 PM

Thanks Guys

Sorry forgot to ask, is there an Aire or Campsite near Rouen that is open on 9th Jan, and do you think it is reasonable to assume we can get to Rouen from Dunkirk in one hit, stopping for dinner of course, the ferry is 8am from Dover.

Once again Thanks

Hi Val

A few campsites here (click on "Show on Map" top right for locations.

http://www.france-voyage.com/campsites/search.php?kw=Rouen&dispo=1&checkin_day=9&checkin_monthyear=2013-1&checkout_day=10&checkout_monthyear=2013-1

Using the non-toll road it's only approx 2.5hours to Rouen from the Tunnel , so a little longer if via Calais.

The aire at Pont de l'Arche is limited to only four m/homes (so you need to get there early) and is literally like a car park and traffic over the bridge can be noisy. There is a service area just outside the campsite gates (not open in the winter because fears of flooding) but whether there will be any water I am uncertain. It's in a nice spot though along the river with good walks for a dog if you have one. Lovely small town with a vet, a good selection of shops/bars, several boulangeries/ patisseries (cakes to die for!), and with an excellent market on Sunday mornings (but I am not sure whether this continues through the winter). Just across the bridge there is a large Super-U supermarket with diesel at a good price. You are not far to the access to the A154 meaning that you cut out the toll road around Rouen. It's about 150 miles from Calais so, depending on your speed, 2 to 3 hours.

Archived