Look at the rear end on that!

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Here's another idea for a tongue in cheek non PC feature for MMM ;-)......

I see this months cover MMM's featured camper is an Autotrail, with a whopper of a rear end overhang 8-)................reminds me of the Leyland National buses I used to drive :D..................who's rear ends caused me all kinda problems :$

Is Autotrail making the biggest butt available, or does someone else make a bigger one? 8-)

Blimey! 8-) 'Tis indeed a whopper......

To my mind,these are totally ridiculous contraptions to be tagged to the back of a fwd,"light duty" vans

:-S

..although I bet folk will still be expecting to be allowed to drive 'em on a "3.5 licence" and for it to "handle" like their Honda Jazz!? (lol)

Edit: Missed your post Wooie...

I reckon, on the right vehicle that's be quite a useful vehicle Wooie...

Well, the one on the front of MMM just about gets away with it because it's got twin rear axles, although I wouldn't fancy driving it.

When this kind of van only has a single axle at the rear it always looks to me as if a freight container has been welded to a pram chassis.

Mind you, I suppose it's what is inside that counts.

;-)

Guest pelmetman

Do Autotrail and others who make these vans with such large overhangs give tuition in how to drive them :-S...............

Having driven buses I'd never buy an rv or something with such a large rear end ;-).....................I didn't mind scraping a company vehicles backside down a wall :D...................but it'd be a different matter if it was my 70k van 8-)

pepe63 - 2012-12-13 9:22 AM

Blimey! 8-) 'Tis indeed a whopper......

To my mind,these are totally ridiculous contraptions to be tagged to the back of a fwd,"light duty" vans

:-S

..although I bet folk will still be expecting to be allowed to drive 'em on a "3.5 licence" and for it to "handle" like their Honda Jazz!? (lol)

Edit: Missed your post Wooie...

I reckon, on the right vehicle that's be quite a useful vehicle Wooie...

I think you will find that 'nearly all' Autotrails have 3650kg chassis's, with max loads upto 4250kgs,

so they ALL have 'sensible' load margins, unlike many of their competitors from Europe, which simply 'invite' overloading. Agree about the overhang though, I think you will find it's on a 'Heavy Duty' chassis, rather than a 'light duty' one.

Personally I think there's a lot more to making something "heavy duty" than just bolting on an extra tandem axle and some "beefed up" chassis rails, onto the back of a cab of a fwd delivery van... (lol)

....especially if it's only being dragged along by the same front wheels and motor,that would've used to propel much smaller(&lighter) vehicles in the range.... ;-)

kelly58 - 2012-12-13 12:40 PM
Wooie - 2012-12-13 9:14 AMHi Dave,What about this one then ? Ebay Item Number 180891950642.I was going to put a link but it`s HUGE ........................LOL

Having that you could moonlight as a Funeral Director.

..although the downside would be,everyone would be pointing and laughing,as the cortege went by.... (lol)

A quick look at Bullhead City, Arizona via Google Earth shows that the sheer width and straightness of the roads makes the schoolbus well suited to its operating conditions. In the UK it would appeal to a demolition contractor.

The French have been bolting enormusly long bodies onto FWD vans for several decades. A wander around any market there will find dozens of examples with twin and even triple axle traders sales vans. I thing they extrude them like sausages and chop off to suit the customers requirements. Some of them must be 30 or more years old.

Archived