captain tolleys creeping crack cure

tonyclaire

Bought some 2 weeks ago from Towsure and used it on my daughters caravan fixed window. needed 3 applications and it has worked. Did wonder if watered down PVA glue would do the same job, it has a similar smell. Still I did not use much and it is now part of my "toolkit".

A much cheaper solution is to use copydex, as it's the same stuff, (Latex). You may have to thin the copydex a bit, as cpt tolleys is quite runny, hence it's ability to creep. You could apply it with a syringe from any chemist.

It didn't fix the leak in my Daughters VW Holdsworth hightop, I used it all around the side windows in the Fibreglass hightop, but they still leaked badly. In the end they had to be removed and professionally resealed. Probably ok for small leaks. Ray

Rayjsj - 2012-12-16 10:58 AM

It didn't fix the leak in my Daughters VW Holdsworth hightop, I used it all around the side windows in the Fibreglass hightop, but they still leaked badly. In the end they had to be removed and professionally resealed. Probably ok for small leaks. Ray

Cheers for that, I have been following this thread and thought ' that sounds good and brought some on ebay' :'(

Guest pelmetman
Melvin - 2012-12-16 11:47 AM

Rayjsj - 2012-12-16 10:58 AM

Cheers for that, I have been following this thread and thought ' that sounds good and brought some on ebay' :'(

That's what I use it for the hairline cracks you get in plastic windows, for sealing around the edge I use Sikaflex ;-)

peter - 2012-12-15 5:52 PM

A much cheaper solution is to use copydex, as it's the same stuff, (Latex). You may have to thin the copydex a bit, as cpt tolleys is quite runny, hence it's ability to creep. You could apply it with a syringe from any chemist.

I don't think it is Latex, the detail from their website MSDS & Product spec is as below.

I think its wonderful stuff.!

COMPOSITION

An aqueous dispersion of styrene – acrylic acid ester copolymer

Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure is a low viscosity, specially blended, acrylic copolymer, emulsion-based product with exceptional penetrating properties.

When I were still in short trousers one of my dads businesses was as a coal merchant. I used to make good pocket money by patching up damaged coal sacks with material salvaged from old sacks stuck on with Copydex. I moved on to doing the same for the Co-op who were one of his main rivals. They paid better my dad!

Any thing for a quick buck me. Dad used to send some sacks for me up to a local cemetery. I had permission to gather moss there. When the sacks were full he used to send one of his lorries to pick them up and take them to the workshops of a well known local florist who paid me for the moss which they used to bind to wire frames to make wreaths. If they were really busy I'd bind the moss onto the frames for them while they did the skilled. Work making up the wreaths.

I've used this or something similar on a caravan and it was useless. It is unlikely to cure a leak permanently or even temporarily in my case. It is supposed to be self seeking but if the mastic around it is rotten/brittle insufficient liquid will find itself to the point needed. When you strip down after it has failed you will see how ineffective the stuff is for all but pinhole type leaks. Of course the product might have been improved in the time since I used it but in reality if you have a leak it should be repaired properly.

Using this or doing any treatment of this kind could lull you into a false sense of security. If you have a leak get it repaired properly.

laimeduck - 2012-12-16 7:30 PM

I don't think it is Latex, the detail from their website MSDS & Product spec is as below.

COMPOSITION

Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure is a low viscosity, specially blended, acrylic copolymer, emulsion-based product with exceptional penetrating properties.

The word "latex" can be used generically, not just to describe 'latex rubber'. In the Firefighting Measures section of the Captain Tolley material safety data, the advice is given that "The wet latex will not burn". Copydex is based on natural rubber latex.

The Captain Tolley stuff and Copydex are both latexes, with the former being a synthetic latex and the latter comprising a latex rubber compound. But the constituents of each product are not the same.

While the Captain Tolley sealant should handle hairline cracks, it would not have saved the Titanic from sinking!

Derek Uzzell - 2012-12-17 9:33 AM

laimeduck - 2012-12-16 7:30 PM

COMPOSITION

The word "latex" can be used generically, not just to describe 'latex rubber'. In the Firefighting Measures section of the Captain Tolley material safety data, the advice is given that "The wet latex will not burn". Copydex is based on natural rubber latex.

The Captain Tolley stuff and Copydex are both latexes, with the former being a synthetic latex and the latter comprising a latex rubber compound. But the constituents of each product are not the same.

While the Captain Tolley sealant should handle hairline cracks, it would not have saved the Titanic from sinking!

OK .... point taken Derek. However the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I have used Captain Tolleys on 3 occasions & each time it has done the job perfectly.

A couple of years ago, my Citroen 2CV screen was leaking badly on a trip to S of France - 2-3 litres/hr! Capatin tolleys in 2 applications solved this and it hasnt leaked since.

Same with the rear window.

Then the boat I sail - a 34 foot Grand Soleil was leaking at the stanchions into the side cupboards - especially in heavy weather when the toe rail was under water. Captain Tolley's fixed these leaks.

So I will recommend the stuff as doing what it says - The Titanic may have needed a slightly larger bottle though!

:D

Archived