Coachbuilt or 'A' Class?

Guest starspirit

Guest starspirit
How does using an A Class overcab bed work out in practice? We use sheets and duvet on our coachbuilt's double bed - just like home - and get a comfortable nights sleep without being too hot or cold - usually! Making the bed is very easy as is getting in and out in the dark for nocturnal neccesities. It is difficult to see how the same can be said for an A class bed but the boss fancies one. So how do all you A Classers manage?

[QUOTE]starspirit - 2006-07-14 11:20 AM It is difficult to see how the same can be said for an A class bed but the boss fancies one. [/QUOTE] B-) It depends on exactly what type of 'A' class you are referring to? Our Newmar has a fixed bed in the rear. As has our previous 3 RV's. (lol)

My main reason for the A class drop down bed is having a permanent bed without the increase in overall length associated with permanent rear beds. We find it a good compromise on the Rapido 924 F as the bed is very easy to access and we've given up taking the ladder away with us as it's easy to use the side settee as a step. If you're unable or unwilling to climb into bed then other choices are for you. The drop down bed enables a permanent bed in a 5.9 meter van and still gives a reasonably spacious feel. Check different makes for the access hight as we noticed a big difference between makes. Bill Ord

Guest starspirit
Have ruled out fixed bed in a coachbuilt and to do this in a sensible length van means a badly compromised lounging area. Observations please?

Maybe I'm missing the point, but why not lounge about on fixed bed? Our T25 is much smaller than any coachbuilt or 'A' class but when away we usualy leave bed down, so it becomes a fixed bed in effect, suits us.

I've always thought that traditional bed-making arrangements in smallish motorhomes lacked ingenuity, what with multi-cushion 'jigsaw' horrors, space-consuming transverse or longitudinal permanent beds, or pull-downs that need steroid-enhanced biceps to push back up. Now that air-bag technology has become so advanced, it can't be beyond the wit of a company like Hymer to develop a motorhome bed that inflates and deflates at the push of a button, or, if that's a bit too avante garde, then at least space- and weight-saving inflatable mattresses for beds? And how about inflatable furniture for a 1970s retro-look?

How does using an A Class overcab bed work out in practice? Great !! Just pull it down un-zip, just move the pillows into place and get in !! We use a pair of sleeping bags zipped together with a sheet under also an over-blanket if very cold. We changed from a 7.3m coach built to 6.1 A class for a few reasons in the A class we have more living space , a good payload, better use of the given space and we don't have to make the bed up each night .its suits us.

“There are various types. Some you just release a couple of hooks and pull it down into place with the bed made up all the time. Other's are electric and work in a similar way.” Am I Missing the point of this previous post !! I thought the question was How does using an A Class overcab bed work out in practice? Not how you undo the locking catch !!

Hi, We had a Swift Kontiki Z for 3 years. The permanent bed was handy but as it folds in the middle to gain access to the under bed storage and the join meant that I always ended up with back ache. As the bed is always against the wall someone has to climb over the other for night trips. We found the cab was a useless part of the lounge area even with swivel seats (that don’t really). We now have a Hymer 650 Starline, the cab is really part of the living area, the outside view is great. The bed is well designed and tested. We don’t use the ladder, I find the settee and table suffice. Getting out in the night can make you a bit grumpy, but as I’m 66 both are part of my life. All in all the Hymer is far superior in all aspects but so is the price Regards Mike W.

[QUOTE]starspirit - 2006-07-14 11:20 AM How does using an A Class overcab bed work out in practice? We use sheets and duvet on our coachbuilt's double bed - just like home - and get a comfortable nights sleep without being too hot or cold - usually! Making the bed is very easy as is getting in and out in the dark for nocturnal neccesities. It is difficult to see how the same can be said for an A class bed but the boss fancies one. So how do all you A Classers manage?[/QUOTE]

I think this question is proving a bit difficult for others to answer, possibly because you haven't said how you/Mrs SS see the pros and cons of each type of bed.

Why does your wife think the drop down will be better (or does she just want an A class)?

Why do you think it will be inferior?

For example, I think drop downs offer advantages in terms of getting maximum use from limited space.  My wife is against, because she reckons the bedding won't air off properly with the bed raised.

However, we do think we've solved the bed making conundrum, though I'm not claiming this as an original solution.

A few years back we bought a "mattress comforter" in Ikea.  It's a bit like a thin double bed sized mattress, say a couple of inches thick, quilted through two layers of Terylene type wadding sandwiching a foam centre layer, with a cotton fabric casing.  It is thus flexible while retaining some dimensional rigidity.

We insert this into a sort of "sheet sleeping bag" made from a cheap cotton duvet cover, cut down to be a snug fit.  This becomes an under sheet.  Its function being solely to protect the comforter casing.

We then add a further "sheet sleeping bag" of similar size.  This becomes the bottom sheet.  Thus the "comforter" is now fully encased in a double envelope of sheeting. 

We then took a couple of further cheap cotton 2.0M x 2.0M duvet covers, opened them up fully across the end and for about half way down each side, re-hemming the end and sides.  That made a kind of large sheeting pocket with open end and 50% open sides. 

The comforter, in its sheeting covers, is then inserted centrally right down to the closed end of this pocket: the loose ends of the duvet cover being drawn up, top and bottom, to the top edge of the comforter.  The whole caboodle is then laid on the bed.  You thus sleep under one layer of the  duvet cover, which becomes the top sheet, lying on the two sheeting layers covering the comforter. 

First change of sheets, you just turn the whole lot over.  Second change, you replace the "outer sheet" duvet cover and the "bottom sheet" comforter cover with clean spares (leaving the under sheet cover in place), and start the process again.  That leaves you two changes of sheets before the originals are needed again, which has so far proved sufficient time to get these washed and dried.

If it's chilly we lay a cotton cellular blanket over the top sheet, add another if it's chillier, and replace both with a duvet if it's cold.

Bedmaking couldn't be simpler, everything stays in place, the mattress comforter doesn't ruck up and the part open edges of the outer, "duvet cover", sheet pocket allow for easy getting into, and out of, bed.  Perfick!

Given one of these, I doubt there would be much practical difference between an A class drop down or a fixed double.  No good for those who prefer dismantling their bed for daytime lounge use, though.

Any help?

[QUOTE]starspirit - 2006-07-14 8:54 PM Have ruled out fixed bed in a coachbuilt and to do this in a sensible length van means a badly compromised lounging area. Observations please?[/QUOTE]

What length of van is "sensible" for you?  What do you want from your lounge seating?  Are you looking for seating for more than yourselves: if so for how many?  Or are you looking for two sofas on which you can both sit with your feet up (is this what you mean by lounging)?  Would you give up on this lounging capability if you had two comfortable seats?

There are a couple of other aspects of A classes that I think may prove advantageous.  Most coachbuilts look, at first sight, like the vans they are based upon.  I think this sometimes leads oncoming drivers to, initially, misjudge the width of your 'van.  The full width of the coachbuilt, however, is apparent on first sight and I suspect lessens those "breathe in" moments.  The full width of an A class motorhome is also visible to its driver, who doesn't have to try to guess how much clearance is left for the coachbuilt "bulge" when the going gets tight.  If the front fits, the rest will follow!

Hope this helps.

Re- “I think a little bit of a misnomer is creeping in here. 'A' class ARE coachbuilt too. The correct terms are Converted Van (B), Coachbuilt 'A' and Coachbuilt 'C'. “ ----- Been there, done that. But never stop learning. Yes we can see that !! why spend the time explaining the differences between the different types of body constructions !! This terminology "A class" has been used distinguish the different types of body and it appears to work. This thread was asking how the beds differ !! not the body's

There are two answers: 1. The only real difference between A and C is that you pull down the bed in the latter but it's there all the time in the C - but usually at a much greater height. You can thus have both cab seats fitted with swivels and in MOST A's they for a useful extension to the lounge area, something that is impossible with most Cs.. 2. The other difference is more important, in my view: most converters who do A Class also do a C with the virtually identical layout. The A is usually about £10,000 more than the C. True, you get a non-rusting body (there is no van cab) with an A and slightly better mpg (more streamlined shape). But it's a lot extra. We've always had A Class because we value the extra space and less -top heavy body.

Archived