Centre Glovebox on "Sevel" Van won't stay closed.

HymerVan

When we took our 2012 Citroen Relay out today my wife opened the large (centre) glovebox using (she assured me) gentle pressure on the release handle. Now the lid won't stay closed. I suspect that it is cable operated and that cable might have been frozen (although temp today is about 6C) and now parted. The handle seems to have no tension on it. Any suggestions for a fix and/or what has happened.

According to Fiat's advertising for the latest Ducato with Euro 5 motors "...the glove box gets a new lid with a sturdier lock on it.". Presumably what's good for the Ducato will be good for the Relay.

There was a 2010 forum posting (in Chatterbox for some unknown reason) about an X250 glove box handle, though it may not be relevant to your motorhome:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/Fiat-Ducato-Glove-Box-handle/20049/

I'm unconvinced by the idea that a frozen bowden cable might have caused the problem. Even if the glove box catch were cable-operated and the cable had somehow frozen, the effort needed to break the cable would be far greater than your wife could apply. That the operating mechanism might have broken, or something in the mechanism might have come detached, is another matter of course.

Time for a trip to your friendly Citroen agent I think, especially as you've also got the 'clunky sounds' issue to resolve.

When we got our Autocruise Accent 2012 model this year (2 months old at the time) the central storage area flap had a single locking catch in the centre. The flap was out of alignment, although it did stay closed, but was never tight and attempts to re-align it didn't work and when the dealer checked other vehicles they found the same problem withthem too. So we had it changed under warranty with the 'new and improved version' with 2 locking catches. It is much sturdier and locks tightly now without problem - I suggest to ask them to replace it with the new version under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived