White Christmas in Chamonix

kelly58

We went this August, it rained, snowed and the temperature got down to minus 3 Deg at night. The route of the 119 Km North Face Ultimate Trail du Mount-Blanc had to be changed because of the weather. (The runners are tough as nails as well)

I must agree with the previous post it is a lovely town, even though we moved down the valley to St Gevais de Bain which is as lovely and much better weather.

June Changed to August

Too cold.

I have had my fill of snow.

Winter Memories-

1947 Crying with pain as my fingers warmed up. Dad off work as roads impassable.

1954ish Snowflakes as big as saucers. Drifts a few feet deep, building real igloos.

1964 Drifts 9 feet deep. Working as a mechanic. Garage floor a sheet of ice that dripped of vehicles as they came in. Became expert snow chain welder and fitter. Scores of damaged cars still under repair in the following summer. frozen pipes at home nor hot water, grew a beard

1968 Heavy snow in December

1970. Policeman by then on the edge of Dartmoor. Snow snow and guess what. I enjoyed driving on the slippery stuff and usually got thrown the keys when a job came in. Taking a Sgt to a police vehicle accident on black ice. He was working up a head of steam about bad driving until we arrived and he got out and immediatly fell on his backside as it had snowed over black ice. Funnily enough I got the advanced driving course I was asking for soon after.

1970s Lots more snow and ice most years- The doom and gloomers were predicting a new ice age back then.

A Range Rover can cope with two feet of snow but belly in three and leave a nice reversed print of the badge in the drift.

A bitterly cold day with a northerly gale blowing. Dealing with a tramp who had fallen and died under train. Sending the ambulance crew back to their vehicles - They hadnt realised they were getting exposure it was so cold and then going to a serious accident at Pearces Hill at the end of the M5 where it runs through a deep cutting. Later seeing the casualties in Hospital I glanced out of the window to see a blizzard setting in. Just making it up Telegraph Hill and asking my crewmate why he was turning off early and being told it was where the car wanted to go as there was no grip.

Telling HQ on a couple of accasions I was shutting the A38 and A380 to keep Haldon Hill free of vehicles so the snow plow could work as soon as it stopped. Thirty years and global warning later it had all been forgotten and after two winters of cock up, I believe new (old) contingency plans are in place.

Somewhere moderately warm will do fine.

We were in Chamonix in mid July this year on our motorhome tour. It was 28 degrees at ground level but freezing (of course) at the top of l'Aiguille du Midi (the peak next to Mont Blanc). The cable car ride is 46 euros each but well worth it.

By the way the motorhome aire is quite expensive at 12 euros a night but is just 2 minutes walk from the town and directly under the cable car route.

Paul

chamonix_040.JPG.e81c02197cfcfd64fd9e078cebc89ae0.JPG

chamonix_009.thumb.JPG.82a49dee5f3bd36614aeae4f084ccdb0.JPG

chamonix_019.thumb.JPG.350b0d3141bfbc2befcf4665eec33c32.JPG

The Aire charges seemed to have risen quite steeply, a couple of years ago it was only 2 euros and this year we were surprised to see it has risen to 12. At least I managed to part with a bag of change albeit the meters seemed to be programmed to take no more that 5 euros of change now!

The whole Chamonix parking situation seems to be changing with barriers over many of the carpark entrances. Mind you I am not saying it does not need it, when the North Face Run is on, you would think there is a Motorhome Show in town, which does detract from the beauty of the place. I don't think things have been helped either by Motorhomes camped on the side of the road, and increasing the charges and blocking entrances is surely not going to help matters.

David

Archived