EU roadworthiness directive

bob b

I was just reading an article about the new EU directive where all the components on a vehicle have to be original items when the vehicle was first registered.

Apparently classic cars will be exempt, but what about motorhomes? Will I have to remove my air assistance units, the electronic 'go faster' upgrade, etc and so forth. 

Guest pelmetman
bob b - 2012-12-20 5:38 PM

My apologies. I'll stand in the corner with my dunces cap on.

I'll lend you mine :$................ (lol) (lol) (lol)

Read the outcome of this 'Proposal' it has been 'modified' evidently, The Mot engineer has enough to check already, without all this 'original equipment' rubbish.

I remember doing Sidecar Road racing (in my youth) we had a Vincent Black Lightning engine in a 'Windle' Rolling chassis sidecar outfit, it went like 'stink' because the bottom end was from a Vincent 'Target drone' aircraft engine, Vibrax con-rods (almost Unburstable !) etc., was bored out to 1200cc. But was entered as a 998 cc in the 1000cc class. We won a lot of Races, (until the Japanese came onto the scene ). The moral of this is: If anyone Doubted the 'Validity' of the Engines 'Pedigree' they had to put up £500 (a LOT of money in the 60's) to get the engine stripped by scrutineers, and if iwas proved that their suspicions were false......they lost the £500, IF they were right, We would have had to pay it.

What cannot be seen, by a cursory engineers check will NOT get checked. Unless you Hit someone.

So this 'law' 'proposal' whatever, is a 'Dead Duck'. Ray

As I understand it, if you drive a foreign registered car (Vehicle) in France or any other EU country then it has to comply with the regulations in the country of its registration, so a legally UK registered car (vehicle) that was modified would be ok to drive in other EU countries.

Dave

The original draft legislation was proposed by the EU commission as the EU roadworthiness Regulation, but the EU presidency has proposed that the status of the legislation be changed to a Directive, giving member states the freedom to choose how the legislation will be incorporated into their laws.

This was dated 14-12-2012 by the FBHVC

Dave

Just to add. Nothing has been passed yet and won't be until the New Year and there are still concerns over how to interpret originality.

Dave Newell - 2012-12-21 8:58 PM

'Long Live British Engineering, Innovation and Skill' Ray

And cheating apparently!

D.

There wasn't any 'Money/winnings' involved it was purely for 'pots' Club Racing.

Everyone did it, 998cc mini cooper engines (that were 1275cc) mounted across the frame. We all 'knew' but no-one had a spare £500 to gamble with. It was all part of the Fun.

And if you think it doesn't happen now....I'm afraid you are deluded. Ray

You failed to mention that little drop of Nitro Benzine that got put in the petrol or Nitro Methane if it was a "dope" engine for speedway. Those mini engines only lasted one year on grasstrack before the format was banned by new rules which made it clear that drive was only to be on one wheel. We put massive valves in BSA A10 engines and some really enterprising cams all aided by hack sawwing off the inlet stub (which suited a single Monoblock) and boring and sleeving the head to take two TT carbs. Engines must have worked as the outfits were Southern Center Champion for 2 years. Crew Norcut and Peeling.

The Rickman brothers came to fame around this time. Then there was Rhind Tutt and Wasp who still make frames today.

Meanwhile we were also knocking out twin carb fast action twist grips for the lads doing Scrambling. Those two into one adapters were always deficient not having enough stroke for a BIG carb.

When I was a lad ......

Can I ramble?

C.

Rayjsj - 2012-12-22 11:54 AM

Dave Newell - 2012-12-21 8:58 PM

'Long Live British Engineering, Innovation and Skill' Ray

And cheating apparently!

D.

There wasn't any 'Money/winnings' involved it was purely for 'pots' Club Racing.

Everyone did it, 998cc mini cooper engines (that were 1275cc) mounted across the frame. We all 'knew' but no-one had a spare £500 to gamble with. It was all part of the Fun.

And if you think it doesn't happen now....I'm afraid you are deluded. Ray

Have you heard the story of how an american ended up with a titanium BSA(Truimph?) racing engine?

Dave Newell - 2012-12-23 7:39 AM

" Everyone did it,............." Aah silly me, of course that makes it all right doesn't it. Still cheating though!

D.

It meant we got 'an extra ride' in the 1000cc class AND the unlimited. no one thought of it as 'cheating' though of course it was. Don't ever remember anyone being banned by the ACU though.

Then the Japanese came on the 'Scene' and just 'blew everyone away' if you could afford the cash for a 'Factory Fresh' Yamaha TZ750 engine (they were about £2000 a small fortune to us at the time). and could 'hold onto it' down the straights, then how you took the corners hardly mattered, you would win. they were extremely quick. We thought they were 'cheating' because they were 'in a differant league entirely' but they were'nt . The Japanese domination of the motorcycle world had arrived. end of, for us 'on a shoestring' weekend Racers.

The Yamaha TZ 750 engine put out nearly twice as much power as we were getting from our Vincent

1175cc even with all the 'mods'. We tried a Hillman Imp (Hartwell Tuned) engine for a couple of seasons, but we were 'Pixxing against the Wind' (the 'Divine Wind' !!). So we sold up, while we still could. Cheats never prosper ?? Ray

The Rickman brothers used to make a lovely 'Road Bike' called a 'Metisse' as i recall, you could have almost any engine in it you wanted. Not exactly 'Type approval' Eh. mores the pity.

nowtelse2do - 2012-12-21 9:35 PM

As I understand it, if you drive a foreign registered car (Vehicle) in France or any other EU country then it has to comply with the regulations in the country of its registration, so a legally UK registered car (vehicle) that was modified would be ok to drive in other EU countries.

Dave

My previously UK registered small Fiat car has now been registered in France for about 8 years passing their equivalent MOT every two years. At the front of it the bar etc. that was fitted by Chris Cox is still attached and no-one has ever made any comment about it and that, very definitely, is not original equipment!

Archived