Advice needed for G P S Android

david1949

Hi everyone happy Christmas to you all and a happy and prosperous new year now to the point where i need help.

I am in need of a new sat nav and before i go out and buy a new garmin i would like to know if anyone on the forum is using a Nexus 7 android in there motorhome for navigation as i have one. If so could you give me as much information as possible to what i need to get up and running and what you think of a android tablet against a Tom Tom or a Garmin .

Go to the play store and download the app NAVFREE and the then the maps you want and give it a try its free and works quite well i use it on my android phone in 'walk' mode when we are walking and it gives good results. Android devices generally don't have quite as sensitive GPS receivers as the in car sat navs so this might be an issue in the vehicle but as the app is free you've nothing to lose.

Dave

I thought the G P S on android Nexus 7 would not be as strong as a sat nav i know the volume is not good on tablets so first of you need a blue tooth speaker + a cradle to hole the tablet all this alone is about £100 + the mapping i may have the tablet but taking into account the poor G P S + the money needed to set it all up in the motorhome it may be a bad investment i think i will just go for a new Garmin unless someone can convince me otherwise i thought there would be more using there android tablets in there motorhomes as sat naves .

I have Co Pilot Live on both my Asus tablet and my HTC phone. Yes the volume can be an issue but overall they both work really well. The GPS reception is fine on the tablet, phonee takes quite a while to lock on but is then generally ok. If I'm travelling solo then I use the phone fitted into a universal holder and plugged into a 2 amp USB charger, if my wife is with me then we generally use the tablet with her holding it on her lap and repeating the istructions to me.

D.

Hi,

I have been using NavFree on my Galaxy Note N7000 for some time now without any major problems and its free including the maps and updates.

I am in the process of downloading it for my new Nexus 7, but I need a couple of items, one of which I have found on the link below, but I'm now looking for a 12 volt 2 amp charger as I'm reasonably sure the normal 12 volt (500,800 or 1000mA) chargers won't keep up with the battery drain, as a 1000mA which I use now has problems on my Galaxy Note N7000,

any suggestions would be welcome

Here's a link to a cheap window mount:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windscreen-Car-Mount-CAR-HOLDER-for-GOOGLE-NEXUS-7-/181050187796?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Mounts_Stands_Holders&hash=item2a276ea014

Hi,

Do you know what is the ampage of the car charger ? only I think we will need at least 2 amp, have you a link to the Amazon item only I need to purchase one myself

david1949 - 2012-12-26 9:05 PM

Thanks for the web link for the holder i have ordered one up this is the first i have seen one with a windscreen sucker i have also ordered a car charger from Amazon.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been searching for resolutions to the low sound levels and there are a couple of apps that are supposed to resolve the issue, albeit I haven't tried them yet so can't really comment

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.omegacentauri.SpeakerBoost&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.TEST.android.lvh&hl=en

It seems they may not work with Jelly Bean, YET ?

I have tried the free app,s to increase the sound but did not find them very good would not try the any one,s you pay for in case they were no good . AS you know I am going to give this G P S a go but at the end of the day i may have to buy a new Garmin as during the summer Garmin are any other device fitted the dash or the windscreen gets very hot with the sunlight coming in so the Nexus may not cope with the high temperatures like the Tom Tom or Garmin

Hi,

That's a very good point about the heat, I used my Galaxy Note during the summer ? (what summer) on a window mount without any problems, but its certainly worth bearing in mind.

I have also read that there are suggestions that the Volume increasing software could be detrimental to the built in speakers, not sure if its correct or not but I suppose its another thing to watch out for

Let us know how you get on

david1949 - 2012-12-27 2:21 PM

I have tried the free app,s to increase the sound but did not find them very good would not try the any one,s you pay for in case they were no good . AS you know I am going to give this G P S a go but at the end of the day i may have to buy a new Garmin as during the summer Garmin are any other device fitted the dash or the windscreen gets very hot with the sunlight coming in so the Nexus may not cope with the high temperatures like the Tom Tom or Garmin

The windscreen holder arrived this morning for my Nexus 7 and i have downloaded the napping so all is left is to test it out so i will be doing that soon. The motorhome is booked on the ferry on the 5 of January and the wife and i are heading down to Portugal the Algarve for 3 weeks so i will let you,s know how the Nexus 7 G P S worked out.

Archived