UK TOURING

zak2442

I don't understand why people consider it so hard to tour the UK in a van. Ok we don't often do it in July/august but then we don't 'do' europe at this time also. Parking can sometimes be a pain, but then so is it in a car, it's just a little worst in a van. As for sites, there's thousands out there and we rarely book ahead, couple of time we've had a bad reception, both times where at C&CC club sites which is why we avoid these, at commercial sites we are welcomed, never have we paid for two nights when we want to stay for one.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1footinthegrave - 2012-12-28 10:25 PM

OK lets be blunt,as far as I and judging by the responses of others so far there is no such guide, so again I say why do you think that is, if I were to write one it would go along these lines, to pretend differently is a case of rose tinted spectacles.

Touring the UK by Motorhome

First of all you'll need to join two clubs to have access to the majority of sites in the UK, why they are called “clubs” though is a mystery.

Decide on the day where you would like to go, then get out your mobile to phone ahead to your chosen site/s. This is where it can get difficult, more often than not you'll be greeted by no answer or an answer-phone, so that's your first dilemma, do you head off towards them hoping for the best, or not.

Assuming you get sorted if it's a CL/CS they rarely have a grey water dump point suitable for M/homes, so a bucket is the order of the day, some fresh water taps can be in the most bizarre places, again totally unsuitable for M/homes, and a very good chance you'll get bogged down to your axles if it's grass.

Be prepared to pay a kings ransom for in many cases no more than a boggy field complete with cow pats, or sheep poo.

Don't venture out on Bank Holidays, or the main season, if you do be prepared to pay a minimum of two nights, even though you may only want one as your passing through.

Be also prepared that the vast majority of sites are in the back of beyond with no transport links, OK for tuggers, but useless for us, that is unless you like sitting watching folks struggle to put an awning up as entertainment.

Major club sites provide some amusement, trying to find the most disagreeable wardens is a good game, especially should you DARE to arrive unannounced, or after 5.30.

Now we get out on the road, you've found a nice spot to pull over, or get some shopping, are but you've never noticed the dreaded 2.1 meter height barriers before as they do not matter when you were in your car, never mind, move on, you might get lucky somewhere else.

I did, found a spot with no height barriers, pity I did not see the small sign saying don't overhang the parking bays, or all manner of local prohibitions, bugger £80 fine on my windscreen when we got back.

Never mind do yourself a brew and a bacon sarnie to console yourself, oh hang on what's that other sign I've just spotted “ no cooking or sleeping in vehicles” there goes my afternoon nap, and there's me thinking “tiredness kills”

Onefoot, their is little I could disagree with here but I still do not have any problem with touring in the UK, in fact we are planning a month in Scotland and the western isles next year plus our two trips to europe. All countries are differant, part of the attraction, and i admit touring in the uk requires a little more planning. The UK has not become motorhome friendly because the tourist boards and people who work in the tourist industry know they do not bring much money to local business. Petrol is bought from large supermarkets, not the local garage, food mostly the same. OK you may buy the odd cup of

coffee but even this is doubtfull, much more likely to go back to the van and make it. In St Gervais where I ski their is a small aire and their were plans a couple of years ago to improve it but the feeling was no point m/h people are known for spending hardly any money locally, probably a baget in the morning and away. At least in the UK we have the C.C who have the best run sites in europe and you know the toilets and showers will be fine, the pitch you get will have ample room and price will be ok as well.

As to the original post their are plenty of campsite books if this is what you want, again CC are the best. Other stuff the local tourist offices will supply if you ask, the Outer Hebrides do an information sheet for campers, again will send it to you. The rough guide we always use, not only in the UK but for any euro country we visit. Perhaps some feedback from you as to exactly what you are looking for would help.

1footinthegrave - 2012-12-28 10:25 PM

OK lets be blunt,as far as I and judging by the responses of others so far there is no such guide, so again I say why do you think that is, if I were to write one it would go along these lines, to pretend differently is a case of rose tinted spectacles.

OK, let me be equally blunt - no, I am not pretending, and I am not using rose tinted specs either. I have a more positive experience to pass on.

Referring back to my post above, I now regret recommending this Forum, in good faith, as a place for New Zealanders to get good advice about touring in the UK.

If the OP would care to PM me, I will give some more positive info. I cannot be bothered to argue on here.

Sincerely,

Gwen

rupert123 - 2012-12-28 3:50 PM

............................................................, who the hell really does that, do you simply drive away in the morning with no idea which direction you are going in. .

Us! Yes that is exactly what we do! Planning was something I had to do when I didn't have the time to do as I please, now it is a case of the only plan is to get a ferry from Dover and turn left, right or go straight on when we get to the other side. After we have had enough of a drive or we are losing the light we find the nearest Aire, ACSI or Municiple campsite and stop. We go through our whole time following this process. So much fun, rarely go to the same place twice.

Camping in the UK costs the earth and sucks, as our younger set would say.

Bas

pepe63 - 2012-12-28 4:38 PM

..........................Only having been MHing for a few years we've yet to venture abroad...but I must say we haven't found the UK to be that bad.. :-S

This is probably the reason that you don't understand how poor the UK experience and how expensive the UK is compared to Europe as you are unfortunate enough to not be able to make your own comparisons.

Although some of the points made by others about some sites(& CLs/CSs) being inflexible over arrival/departure times and about not always manning their phones,are valid.

Again if you have already perceived this difficulty, then imagine how it appears to those of us that have experienced the true freedom to travel and stop at will without being robbed blind!

Bas

rupert123 - 2012-12-28 11:00 PM

Onefoot, their is little I could disagree with here but I still do not have any problem with touring in the UK, in fact we are planning a month in Scotland and the western isles

Ho ho ho! :D, Scotland's not a problem it's legal to wild camp, easy to fill up with water at garages, no height barriers. We did Scotland last year great only spent 2 nights on a sight, never had to worry about finding anywhere to stop for the night.

Wales also has some Motorhome friendly areas, it's not the UK we have a problem with it's ENGLAND (sorry for shouting). (lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Basil - 2012-12-28 11:35 PM

..........................Only having been MHing for a few years we've yet to venture abroad...but I must say we haven't found the UK to be that bad.. :-S

This is probably the reason that you don't understand how poor the UK experience and how expensive the UK is compared to Europe as you are unfortunate enough to not be able to make your own comparisons.

Although some of the points made by others about some sites(& CLs/CSs) being inflexible over arrival/departure times and about not always manning their phones,are valid.

Again if you have already perceived this difficulty, then imagine how it appears to those of us that have experienced the true freedom to travel and stop at will without being robbed blind!

Bas

And of course judging by the huge amount of Motor-homes just across the water, just how many do you see coming over here, take the ASCI scheme for example and the miserable amount of UK sites listed in it, and I think if you are fair minded this illustrates the frustration of the inflexibility many of us have with the UK when it comes to touring in the true sense of the word, not to mention the lack of overseas Motor Home visitors who obviously vote with their feet ( or should I say wheels )., oh well :-(

In 2011 we thought it a good idea to tour the Lakes in the Autumn being a member of both the CCC & CC we plumbed for the CS / CL 's on our 1st night it took us six attempts to find a suitable night stopover the 1st five were diabolicle wet soft ground / long rough grass /poor access , I was beginning to lose the will to live !! then we found a really nice CCC CL on a dairy farm , my faith in human nature and temper restored , but there was no comparisson with our motorhoming in France . Sorry I am English through and through , but when it comes to motorhoming in the UK or " Rip Off Britain " for me there is no comparison

Bas

Not disagreeing with you there Bas,as I obviously haven't any "continental experience"....but my(and several others') point was that the OP was asking about "UK TOURING".....

.....the OP didn't ask "Where's the best place to tour,the UK or on the Continent?"... ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2012-12-29 11:19 AM

Bas

Not disagreeing with you there Bas,as I obviously haven't any "continental experience"....but my(and several others') point was that the OP was asking about "UK TOURING".....

.....the OP didn't ask "Where's the best place to tour,the UK or on the Continent?"... ;-)

No your quite right he did not, but myself and others were merely trying to explain possibly why as far as I'm aware no publication exists, perhaps if such a guide was produced explaining the difficulties,ESPECIALLY as they relate to overseas visitors, or the likes of MMM did a big article asking why compared to mainland Europe we get it so dreadfully wrong, we may all benefit . ;-)

Rather than looking for books your maybe better off making best use of all the forums. There is this one of course but also www.motorhomefacts.com and www.wildcamping.co.uk as well as www.motorhomefun.co.uk

Motorhomefacts is the biggest and has a very useful database and site map. Wildcamping if your a full member has a download of over 4500 wild camping spots across the UK. Also two posts above you have the likes of Britstops. Im not a member but many are joining and are raving about it.

Yes it takes a bit of planning and yes I also spend most of my time abroad but have the odd month or so touring the UK. Never had a problem. I either wild camp using the POI off wildcamping or use one of the 2500 Caravan club CL sites. One or the other always suffices. Best if you have secondary transport. We have push bikes and a scooter.

I tend to think more about what and where I want to see or visit rather than worrying about where I will park / stop over. I often post about an area, find out whats worth seeing and often suggestions of CL's or sites or wild spots will also be forth coming.

I plan quite a lot though and this also goes for overseas. I always have a load of Aires, Sostas or in the UK CL and wild spots in mind long before I set off. Have a plan A, B and C ready for each destination. Sounds like hassle but I enjoy planning stuff and enjoy it more when I end up somewhere fabulous because Ive bothered to look into it first.

Blogs and websites created by motorhomers can also be useful.

Dont be put off by this lot on here. Even if there were free Aires all over the UK they would find somthing to winge about! (lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave

Yes right, 4500 wild camping spots in the UK, no doubt complete with water and dumping facilities for black, grey, and rubbish . Hardly a system of Aires, or municipal sites is it ?

It's not about whinging as you put it, it's about fighting for better provision for us motor home users, the same as mainland Europe enjoys, do you have a problem with that aim ?

1footinthegrave - 2012-12-29 1:24 PM

Yes right, 4500 wild camping spots in the UK, no doubt complete with water and dumping facilities for black, grey, and rubbish . Hardly a system of Aires, or municipal sites is it ?

It's not about whinging as you put it, it's about fighting for better provision for us motor home users ,the same as mainland Europe enjoys, do you have a problem with that aim ?

Well,good luck your "fight"...but at a time when local authorities are struggling to provide and maybe even having to cut, such things as essential services and social care for OAPs and the vulnerable,day care centres,play groups etc,I dare say providing cheap(free?) facilities for comparatively well off MHers,who may or may not choose to pull up in their 50-60k plus vehicles,would be w-a-y down their list... :-S

Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2012-12-29 2:58 PM

It's not about whinging as you put it, it's about fighting for better provision for us motor home users ,the same as mainland Europe enjoys, do you have a problem with that aim ?

Well,good luck your "crusade"...but at a time when local authorities are struggling to provide and maybe even cutting, such things as essential services for OAPs,social care for the vulnerable,day care centres etc..I dare say providing cheap(free?) facilities for comparatively well off MHers,to pull up in their 50-60k plus vehicles,would be w-a-y down their list... ;-)

You obviously do not understand the European model of financing these facilities, but whatever.................as for 50-60k Motorhomers we get a few of them on our local car park this time of year, why ? because all the sites around here are SHUT.

Because you've never experienced the European way of doing things it's probably difficult for you to understand the mutual benefits their systems bring to the local communities and the Motor home users, and of course it's about providing a "service", a dirty word in the UK.

The first time you experience a fully serviced camp site, and see an Aire that could well be free, right outside the entrance with all facilities for those just wishing to stop briefly overnight, or a city centre stopover like in Le-Mans, or Metz, or Bayeux, or Blois, to just name four off the top of my head, that allow you to enjoy en evening stroll in their cities, and return to your van to sleep, secure in the knowledge you are not breaking some petty rule or other, well that's service,and of course no need to worry if your past the witching hour to book in because you don't have too !

Well,I've never pretended to know how the "European model" of finance works....but in the absence of some mystical Aires fairy,I would assume that the money needed to provide cheap/free facilities that you speak of must come from somewhere...? :-S

I would glady welcome facilties that you speak of... but I'm just a lttle curious as to where the money would come from to fund them....?

(..bearing in mind that many towns can't even afford to keep their public toilets open! :-S )

Guest 1footinthegrave

Well it's a moot point, it will never be rolled out here due to the complexities of the planning processes, and rules

And in many instances outright hostility from local councils with ever more Motor-Homes prohibited signs appearing.

One notable exception is Kent Council and Canterbury, where the provision of a cold water tap, and a dump facility,was incorporated into a park and ride car park, that is not used from I think 7.30 pm and allows overnight sleeping which is helpful on route to Dover if on an early ferry, so it could be achieved at very little initial cost, and be self financing afterwards from a modest charge, as is the model in most of Europe.

It's not about whinging as you put it, it's about fighting for better provision for us motor home users, the same as mainland Europe enjoys, do you have a problem with that aim ?

God no! I would love to see Aires here but it will never happen. To many NIMBY attutudes here and backward thinking councils. Ive taken part in some of the campaigns and forum initiated attempts to pursuade councils to think like our European cousins but its like banging your head against a brick wall.

For me personally though, Im not fussed. I like the CL network and a few "select" wild spots. I prefer to be out in the country away from town centres and would not feel as relaxed in a town centre Aire or Car park in the UK as I would in France or Italy where the locals are civilised. I wouldnt want to wake up with a traffic cone on the roof, brick through the window or local yobs banging on the side of the van shouting drunken abuse.

Maybe this is another reason we dont have Aires. The councils dont trust their own locals not to smash up our vans!

1footinthegrave - 2012-12-29 4:09 PM

Well it's a moot point, it will never be rolled out here due to the complexities of the planning processes, and rules

And in many instances outright hostility from local councils with ever more Motor-Homes prohibited signs appearing.

One notable exception is Kent Council and Canterbury, where the provision of a cold water tap, and a dump facility,was incorporated into a park and ride car park, that is not used from I think 7.30 pm and allows overnight sleeping which is helpful on route to Dover if on an early ferry, so it could be achieved at very little initial cost, and be self financing afterwards from a modest charge, as is the model in most of Europe.

Onefoot this post goes a long way to explaining why councils will never set up an aires system in the UK, nor would any other country starting now. You stop off in Canterbury and then head for the ferry, your contribution to canterbury local business, nil. This is the problem now, m/h owners contibute very little to the local community, they buy petrol at the cheapest outlet, a multinational supermarket, food at the same place. The most the local shops can hope for from the m/h owner is a baget. this message is getting through even in France now. In St Gervais, where i ski and know very well their is a small, not very good aire. A couple of years ago it was suggested this be improved but they decided the m/h community contributed so little it was not worth the outlay to do it. In the same place the lift company have to remove m/h's from the lift station carpark in high season, they clog the place up and only buy a lift ticket. OK for the big companies but why should the local community contribute to a load of free-loaders. I am certainly not against aires, use them myself a fair bit, but the system does not do the job a lot of m/h people think it does, bring loads of money to local business. Good aires chargeing a fair price at least show some return but doubt many actually pay their way. Some like that m/h slum at Honfluer may actually make money but on a lot especially if it is someone collecting money a whole lot of m/h owners run of just to avoid paying. At least the person staying on a site puts something into a small local business. Before anyone bothers to say it we, of course, all go out for meals, visit the local attraction, buy all our supplies in the local shop at every free place we stop, 'yer right' i believe you.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Well at least Canterbury make use of an asset that is closed after 7.30 pm to cars, and make a charge to add to their coffers, but crucially provide a service for ferry users where no other exists. We use it on our return also making use of the excellent park and ride to go into Canterbury to shop, or get a bite to eat, so it's not as black and white as you put it, mind you we do baulk at the charge to go into the cathedral and have never done it ! !

As to not making a contribution to local economies, well on our next 8 - 10 week trip that we are planning going down touring around southern France I must ensure I have both sufficient diesel, and food supplies from our local supermarket to last the duration, sorry Rupert123, that's poppycock, and were not all cheapskates you know, enjoying small restaurants and tourist attractions as we travel all adds to local economies.

I agree that Honfleur is not the best example of an Aire, but to deny the contribution of 80 + Motorhomes at what is it now 8 Euro's a night, plus the spin off trade in the town is hardly chickenfeed either.

You find freeloaders in every walk of life, just don't tar everyone with the same brush, the last £2000+ I spent was all in France, so someone got it, because I haven't got it now ! !

P.S.still peeing down here as well in sunny Aberdyfi.......................... :D

1footinthegrave - 2012-12-29 6:56 PM

As to not making a contribution to local economies, well on our next 8 - 10 week trip that we are planning going down touring around southern France I must ensure I have both sufficient diesel, and food supplies from our local supermarket to last the duration, sorry Rupert123, that's poppycock, and were not all cheapskates you know, enjoying small restaurants and tourist attractions as we travel all adds to local economies.

I agree that Honfleur is not the best example of an Aire, but to deny the contribution of 80 + Motorhomes at what is it now 8 Euro's a night, plus the spin off trade in the town is hardly chickenfeed either.

P.S.still peeing down here as well in sunny Aberdyfi.......................... :D

Why the hell do you not read posts properly, I pointed out that aires like Honfleur probably paid but few do. I would be willing to bet the vast majority of the money you spent on fuel and food went to multi national supermarkets. Again read what i said, which was certainly not buy from your local outlet at home.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2012-12-30 10:52 AM

1footinthegrave - 2012-12-29 6:56 PM

Why the hell do you not read posts properly, I pointed out that aires like Honfleur probably paid but few do. I would be willing to bet the vast majority of the money you spent on fuel and food went to multi national supermarkets. Again read what i said, which was certainly not buy from your local outlet at home.

I have done just that maybe I'm mildly dyslexic, so guilty as charged along with millions of others mainly because there is no other choice, I'm guessing you motor up to the junction to do your shop as well, but where ever you spend your money, be it the corner shop, or a multi-national local people gain employment from tourism, and both you and I know that to be a fact from where we live, so really whats the difference where the money gets spent, as long as it's not Amazon.

As for Aires not paying, well I don't know, but new ones continue to be opened all the time, so perhaps "profit" is not the main issue, maybe good old fashioned "service" to the thousands of European Motor Home users is the driving force, what a pity we in the UK don't have the same ethos.

Hi,

To bring the thread back to the original topic.1/ I would advice join one of the clubs(the CCCLUB is certainly the more friendly) the info they can offer is well worth the joining fee.2/ Subscribe to the M.M.Magazine the experience they and the readers have is there for the viewing and asking for.

As for the lousy Aire at Honfleur , we pay 14euros and have all the facilities at the secure campsite within a few minutes walk of the town near the park.You pays yer money...

(lol)

UK aires ,

Here in France we have a Camping Organisation that actively promotes the advantages of Aires to the local communes, It may be a coincidence but the FFCC do not operate Camp sites.

As for payment for introducing the infrastructure into the UK, how many of you are tax payers in the UK and how much of your taxation would you be prepared to pay toward a better lifestyle? There are a lot of taxpayer funded organisations that I would have been prepared to sacrifice, the Arts Council for one. Cheap opera for the masses? or employment for the less than gifted and Cows in a glass case.

For Overnight Camping, I must admit that I mainly stay on Sites (any that are open anyway, in the winter). My MAIN gripe in the UK is just ordinary Daytime parking, be it for shopping, sightseeing, or just Plain 'taking in the View' with cup of nice coffee. Cities,Towns and even small villages just downright discourage anyone who isn't in a Small vehicle. And not all of us can ride a bike, scooter or walk very far, And even a Blue Badge doesn't seem to 'Cut It' these days.

Scotland seems a lot better, which is why we have driven up there for the last three years. Ray

Archived