UK TOURING

zak2442

Retread24800 - 2012-12-30 1:24 PM

....As for payment for introducing the infrastructure into the UK, how many of you are tax payers in the UK and how much of your taxation would you be prepared to pay toward a better lifestyle? There are a lot of taxpayer funded organisations that I would have been prepared to sacrifice...

I would've thought the issues that I'd mentioned earlier in the thread(such things as care of the elderly and vulnerable,playgroups,public toilets etc)are of FAR greater priority and therefore more deserving of any tax input,than some "subsidised" stop-over facilities for a relatively small number of,comparatively well off,MHers..... :-S

...and even if we did have an extensive network of aire-type stopovers,given the current economic climate,I wouldn't mind betting that they'd be one of the many things that would be in for the chop anyway.....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2012-12-30 2:25 PM

....As for payment for introducing the infrastructure into the UK, how many of you are tax payers in the UK and how much of your taxation would you be prepared to pay toward a better lifestyle? There are a lot of taxpayer funded organisations that I would have been prepared to sacrifice...

I would've thought the issues that I'd mentioned earlier in the thread(such things as care of the elderly and vulnerable,playgroups,public toilets etc)are of FAR greater priority and therefore more deserving of any tax input,than some "subsidised" stop-over facilities for a relatively small number of,comparatively well off,MHers..... :-S

...and even if we did have an extensive network of aire-type stopovers,given the current economic climate,I wouldn't mind betting that they'd be one of the many things that would be in for the chop anyway.....

Better close public libraries down, public swimming pools, Opera houses, the list goes on and on, I don't own a Dog, but some of my taxation goes on dog poo bins and collection, get rid of them too. Aires need not be subsidized, open them to the free market, maybe a good little earner for the remaining country pubs, anyway what the hell.........................

1footinthegrave - 2012-12-30 3:15 PM

Better close public libraries down, public swimming pools, Opera houses, the list goes on and on, I don't own a Dog, but some of my taxation goes on dog poo bins and collection, get rid of them too. Aires need not be subsidized, open them to the free market, maybe a good little earner for the remaining country pubs, anyway what the hell.........................

Stopped raining in Beddgelert so can get off this now, must get organised for skiing.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2012-12-30 5:42 PM

1footinthegrave - 2012-12-30 3:15 PM

Stopped raining in Beddgelert so can get off this now, must get organised for skiing.

Your a bugger for punishment obviously, pity Rhiw Goch closed you could have been back in time for tea :D

rupert123 - 2012-12-29 6:28 PM

1footinthegrave - 2012-12-29 4:09 PM

Well it's a moot point, it will never be rolled out here due to the complexities of the planning processes, and rules

And in many instances outright hostility from local councils with ever more Motor-Homes prohibited signs appearing.

One notable exception is Kent Council and Canterbury, where the provision of a cold water tap, and a dump facility,was incorporated into a park and ride car park, that is not used from I think 7.30 pm and allows overnight sleeping which is helpful on route to Dover if on an early ferry, so it could be achieved at very little initial cost, and be self financing afterwards from a modest charge, as is the model in most of Europe.

Onefoot this post goes a long way to explaining why councils will never set up an aires system in the UK, nor would any other country starting now. You stop off in Canterbury and then head for the ferry, your contribution to canterbury local business, nil. This is the problem now, m/h owners contibute very little to the local community, they buy petrol at the cheapest outlet, a multinational supermarket, food at the same place. The most the local shops can hope for from the m/h owner is a baget. this message is getting through even in France now. In St Gervais, where i ski and know very well their is a small, not very good aire. A couple of years ago it was suggested this be improved but they decided the m/h community contributed so little it was not worth the outlay to do it. In the same place the lift company have to remove m/h's from the lift station carpark in high season, they clog the place up and only buy a lift ticket. OK for the big companies but why should the local community contribute to a load of free-loaders. I am certainly not against aires, use them myself a fair bit, but the system does not do the job a lot of m/h people think it does, bring loads of money to local business. Good aires chargeing a fair price at least show some return but doubt many actually pay their way. Some like that m/h slum at Honfluer may actually make money but on a lot especially if it is someone collecting money a whole lot of m/h owners run of just to avoid paying. At least the person staying on a site puts something into a small local business. Before anyone bothers to say it we, of course, all go out for meals, visit the local attraction, buy all our supplies in the local shop at every free place we stop, 'yer right' i believe you.

Do get a little fed up with idea that all of us use aires just to save money and spend little in the local town. As an example, looking back at the five days we spent in Stenay last summer. In addition to our nightly fees we had one evening meal out, a meal from the take away, a coffee each morning in a cafe in town, bought a necklace and camping-car mag from local shops, visited Beer Museum as well as buying bread and cakes etc in town, so felt that yes we did help local economy as well as enjoying the French life style. Regarding more general question as to how setting up aires is financed then it is often a combination of funding from the village/town, the department, the region, the French government and the E.U. all of whom appear to see the value of motorhomes to the ecomomy, unlike most places in nU.K.! (No doubt E.U. funding could be used in many places here if our people had the wit to look into it).

Don't know who you mean by "our people" [ref robertandjean's post above].

I have the “wit” as you call it to “look into funding”. It’s easy!!

Even if you think your local council would be prepared to fund such a project, you still need to tap into their community fund [whatever it is called locally] and make an application for funding.

They will require match funding in most cases. EU money does. Even EU grants are often distributed via local agencies – you still need to go through an application process and sometimes [we did] an interview process.

From where do you get his match funding??? - You apply to other sources.

How do I know??? - I have raised half a million pounds from 9 different Trusts and Foundations for our Village Project, including some EU money. This project has now achieved a successful outcome and will be completed by March of this year.

So>>> what do you do?

1) Establish a need:

Carry out community consultations and feasibility studies – prospective funders ASK for this evidence. Questionnaires need to be professionally drawn up and analysed.

2) Write a Business Plan – you need one for most funding applications.

3) Trawl the internet looking for Trusts and Foundations prepared to give grants which support your aims. Phone them to discuss your aims before you begin making applications.

4) Write funding applications. This can take days if not weeks to write full applications from some of the more demanding Funders.

5) Have to hand detailed costings and surveys. A quantity surveyor and an accountant prepared to work with you, for free, is useful, if not essential.

6) Be prepared to fail at many hurdles – and ironically, failure is often a plus and some Funders like to see evidence that you have tried and failed and will plug gaps in Funding.

In my case:

Written: 31 applications, 9 of which were successful, and yielded amounts varying from £2,000 to £396,000.

Time taken: 4 years, spending on average 3 days a week working on the task.

SO… yes there IS money out there…. So what’s stopping you? And anyone who is “campaigning” for Aires.

Gwendolyn, Most impressed with your funding efforts well done! It was not "wit" of people like yourself I question but that of local/national politicians who often seem more intent on Euro bashing than looking for opportunities. Re fighting for aires in England then will leave that to others as feel it is a lost cause and will stick with touring France etc rather than U.K.

Archived