Most overated places in France

rupert123

We've been travelling around europe and parts of the rest of the world for the last 15 years. Yes some places may not be as good as others but I still like to retain the WOW factor as in 'wow I'm actually travelling in our own van all over France and Europe I can't believe it' I never want to lose that so even if one place is not quite as good as another I will still take it all in and enjoy it.

rupert123 - 2012-12-28 10:27 PM

A lot seem to have got the idea I am moaning about France in general, where did that idea come from? Suggest you all go back and read my original post properly, Barry seems to have got the point.

Onefoot, no not going skiing in the PVC I doubt i will ever go anywhere in it again, it is going when i return early Feb. and will buy a proper van again.

Thanks Rich, the snow has arrived this year in large quantities so should be good. Leave home on 5 January, drive to Reims, spend night at holiday inn, go for a meal and then easy five hour drive to our base in St. Gervais.

Be fair though, Henry, I only see two posts that assume you were moaning about France in general, the rest seem to be in broad agreement with you, so where did that come from? :-D

We all have different likes and dislikes, and can even change our opinion of places depending on how we felt when we visited. We have come to love Venice, despite its crowds and clichés. But, we were there in October, when it was cool and drizzly, and I have to say Venice does not do cool and drizzly very well! So, had that been our only visit, we should doubtless have left comprehensively underwhelmed.

We have travelled around France for years, and there is much that has been over-hyped in the interests of drawing the tourists, but there remains much that is not mentioned - possibly because it lacks the facilities, or is in an area that is not deemed to need tourism income, or because its appeal is too limited for the touring masses. I guess much the same is true of most countries. You now know four places to avoid. I would add much of the South East Mediterranean coast, where it seems to me folk just go the gawp at celebrities. The towns have a grain of interest, but not that much, and all seem to be grossly over-developed and inhabited by rude and grasping people. Besides which, most of the area was developed expressly to encourage tourism, so are not the "natural" product of a local economy at all. But, others see what I cannot, and go in their droves paying their inflated prices. Good thing too - it keeps them away from the bits I like!

As you say it is just as well we don't all like the same thing.

We have used the Plymouth- Roscoff ferry into and out of Brittany perhaps as many as 30 times and often spend a few days on the way home wandering there to wind down. It all depends on ones interests I suppose but I love boats and looking at old buildings and always find something fresh. Watching the 30 ft tides surge in and out is pretty impressive. Or even the more normal 15 ft ones of the Golf de Morbihan

I am in no way a spiritual person but religious buildings are amongst the greatest of works of art and just a few miles inland from Roscoff in Brittany are some outstanding examples. Some of the honeycombed church spires must sing well during a winters gale. Se pics

We were never into just laying on a beach and tend to give the Atlantic Coast further south a miss due its seemingly endless sand dunes and pine trees but even then found a very unusual flying boat museum the exact location of which escapes me for the moment. See pic

Often our planning consists of landing and looking at the weather forecast, preferring blue skies but bearing fuel costs in mind as well. On the road the slightest excuse sees us off down a minor road or just because a symbol on a map indicates something of interest.

Each to their own.

Brittany.jpg.26263ae92401f9a8e0c2e4ec0b7cbdf9.jpg

792022625_Churchclose.thumb.jpg.7739033a66abf9117c9c271083fc2cd6.jpg

87154478_2009CaproniCA601921.jpg.30e87df83cabcf8f849ecc5d5bdaecdd.jpg

354660070_2009Courseitwillfly.thumb.jpg.6704d4aa8d7a5a4bf0a19a9a87ecd077.jpg

rupert123 - 2012-12-28 12:27 PM

EJB - 2012-12-28 11:20 AM

France????................ *-)

Place just across the channel from Dover.

.....got that bit right, Henry but the point of the above query (which you conveniently missed) is that Monaco is most definitely not in France.

Suggest map upgrade for sat nav?

bolero boy - 2012-12-31 8:00 AM

.....got that bit right, Henry but the point of the above query (which you conveniently missed) is that Monaco is most definitely not in France.

Sort of missed that completely. However this bit of coast is all overated so lets say bits of France around Monaco area.

rupert123 - 2012-12-31 10:01 AM

bolero boy - 2012-12-31 8:00 AM

Sort of missed that completely. However this bit of coast is all overated so lets say bits of France around Monaco area.

Being a total pedant, Monaco is indeed in France... from the point of view that it is surrounded by it. Don't know who has a territorial claim to the sea off the coast though?

The area behind the coast is stunning & well worth exploring. If you like fossils it is a great place to search - I have found 2 large ammonites here without really looking.

bolero boy - 2012-12-31 10:17 AM

Sitting in my van in Regency Cheltenham in the pouring rain, and having just returned from 16 weeks in 'overated' France and Spain, I know where I would rather be!

Only returned as a Xmas PR sop, won't make that mistake again.

Overated France, who said that? the only person on here,that i am aware of, who thinks france is overated is the Judge.

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2012-12-31 4:00 PM

bolero boy - 2012-12-31 10:17 AM

Sitting in my van in Regency Cheltenham in the pouring rain, and having just returned from 16 weeks in 'overated' France and Spain, I know where I would rather be!

Only returned as a Xmas PR sop, won't make that mistake again.

Overated France, who said that? the only person on here,that i am aware of, who thinks france is overated is the Judge.

Just back from India trip...and yes France vastly overrated as a holiday destination IMO. But it is convenient and motorhome friendly. Actually we like the Cote de Azur even in high summer but need to plan ahead to get the best out of it. H try Tuscany you wont be disappointed......but then again! :D

Archived