Tsunami Warning

BKen1

Was watching the programme on the Japanese Tsunami the other evening and they where talking about a 14 mtre rise in the sea level and saw the devastating effects it has and it got me thinking just how high above sea level we are here at home.

So I went to google maps and went into street view and on the bottom of the screen it says 4 mtr for my location ....now the question is is that the height above sea level of the road or the height to the camera on the car (which is 2.5mtrs higher according to Wiki).because if thats the case we are only 1.5mtrs above sea level......I know 4mtrs is not good either but better than 1.5....not told the wife yet but told here to reduce here carbon emissions immediatly.

Seriously though anybody out there know the answer.

Brian

The other, I looked on the Environment Agency website and looked at those areas at risk of flooding~quite interesting really.

It seemed odd that on Rightmove, new houses were being advertised in one of the flood risk areas. I wonder what the insurance situation would be and whether flood areas comes within the search remit of solicitors. Would anyone be liable for selling property in such 'known' areas in the future or is it just a case of caveat emptor?

All good stuff in the replys but my main question was how accurate is the height figure (elev.) on google earth.... but just noticed there is a new "eye Alt figure " in the righthand corner which Im sure wasnt there last week ? So that seems to answer my question.

Brian

Archived