sat box 12v

bazooka

My recently aquired van has a oyster sat dish with a sky box powered by a inverter,i was advised to change this box for a 12v sat box to save drain on the battery.My newbox arrived to day its a Manattan plaza ds100A freesat sd freesat box .is it 12v? qr have i dropped a clanger!1 .My other van was so simple,a tv with built in freeveiw 12v or mains status aerial happy days.But with this van we could have tv abroad iff we wanted to.the wife will kill me if this box w'ont do the job!! happy xmas

Barrie

Appears to ba a uk only freesat box not a free to air box, also seems to be mains only so you have dropped 2 clangers !

Product Features and Technical Details

Product Features

Freesat SD digital receiver capable of receiving over 150TV and radio channels via your satellite dish throughout the UK

Quick and easy to set up

Access interactive services and digital text via the red button

Technical Details

Tuner : Input Frequency 950-2150MHz, Input Connector F type, Female 75 ohm, LNB Supply 14.0V/19.0V (max.350mA), Short Circuit Protected, Digital Signal Input Level -25 to -65 dBm

System : Serial Flash Memory 4MBytes, System Memory 32MBytes

Video Decorder : Video Standards MPEG-1 ISO/IEC 11172-2, MPEG-2 MP@ML and MP@LL, ISO/IEC 13818-2, Aspect Ratio 4:3, 16:9 and Letter Box, Video Output 2 x SCART TV(CVBS/RGB) and VCR(CVBS)

Audio Decoder : Audio Standards ISO/IEC 11172-3 Layers I/II, Audio Output Audio Left and Right

Front Panel : Buttons and Indicators Red LED = Standby, Blue LED = Power and IR Detect, On/Standby, Channel -/+ and Volume -/+

Power Requirements : Mains Input Voltage 230-240V AC-50Hz, Power Consumption Max 10W (LNB with 200mA)

Others : Accessories Remote Control, Batteries 2xNumber-7(AAA), user Manual, Quick Start Guide and SCART Cable

Dimensions W258mm x D175mm x H44mm

;-)

The ds100a is 230v only, as is blatantly obvious when you look at the back panel. For a Manhatten freesat 12v box you need to get the HD-S this has an external 12v adapter so in the van you can plug it straight to the 12v although might be best to use a 12v stabiliser.

Have you already got a tv? as you can now get 12v tv's with built in sat which tidy's everything up.

The following is a generalisation, but may help you with some decisions.

Free-to-air (FTA) boxes will get you all the TV you want, but without the convenience (in the UK and very near continent) of the Freesat EPG and the "red button" services. (The actual TV channel tuned via a FTA box is exactly the same as that used in a Freesat box, the latter simply adds access to an EPG, and red button). If you are prepared to make this compromise then there are some (very) cheap solutions.

Almost all Freesat boxes can also be used as FTA boxes to tune "non-Freesat" transmissions, (it was decreed by competition legislation) though the ease of doing so varies by box. Many of them require you to effectively "manual tune" in FTA mode, which is far from user-friendly. Some will carry out a simple "blind tune" automatically of all FTA channels, though the only one I can vouch for is the Humax HD freesat box (and this is not 12v!). If you are offered a Freesat box that will also tune FTA services, check how easy it is to achieve.

The majority of Freesat HD boxes are 12v capable (though check, as some, including the Humax described above, aren't). The majority of Freesat SD boxes are 240v only (as you have found). Patently, you pay a premium for the HD capable ones.

I note that Maplin are currently doing a refurb version of the Comag/Aldi/Lidl basic SD12v FTA receiver at a cheap price.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/12v-satellite-receiver-for-free-digital-tv-48736

This is a capable box that will give you all the FTA channels from most satellites (including the UK ones) AND (AFAIK) will "blind search" (i.e. once locked to a specific satellite will autotune all FTA transmissions from that source). I've used its similar predecessor for a good few years in the UK and on the continent. It will not, hower (as set out above) give you the Freesat EPG (only a channel "now and next") or red-button services such as interactive text.

HTH

I use the 12v Comag Aldi box and find it very good on the continent. It has a quick and responsive inbuilt signal meter that helps with finding the signal, it is small, and it doesn't pull much power.

The lack of the EPG isn't such a problem really, and anyway the new satellite will have a much tighter beam so it will be difficult to receive the UK channels south of Paris, (looking at the coverage map).

At £30 for the refurb ones it's a bargain.

H

Thanks again everyone.I have now aranged to return the sat box and stick with the pace sky box and inverta.my set up uses astra 2 and the oyster dish locks on that.there is a small box with the footprint maps on, in Keswick it worked on the northen map.I hope this makes sence! Would this work in France or germany.we have never had tv abroad its only occurred to me because this van has a oyster dish and sky box fitted by the previous owner.I onely recieve the free channels on this set up which is what i want.

Barrie

johnnerontheroad - 2012-12-30 11:11 AM

I think you will find your Pace Sky box is 12v mine is, it will work ok in France and Germany.

Dave

As the satellites from which we get UK TV are changing nobody really knows at present how much UK TV we will be able to watch when in Europe or where. Channels are gradually changing over to the new satellite Astra 2F and there is more to come.

Preliminary indications from the recent change of satellites to Astra 2F (to where some stations have been moved) are that receiving UK TV in Europe is likely to be more difficult than at present. as the beam will be more concentrated on the UK.

Archived