Castrol GTX On Offer at ASDA.

Wooie

Castrol GTX 10W40 Part Synthetic A3/B4, 4 Litres and 15W40 on offer at ASDA £12

I had to order mine through the " Click & Collect " service because it goes off the shelves as fast as

they can put it on there.

Same price and delivered to your home ( £2.95 charge ) or free to the store of your choice.

peacock312 - 2012-12-29 3:05 PM

Thanks,will nip and get some tomorrow,if any left

Just had a quick look on ASDA Direct for the " Click & Collect " and it`s Out of Stock.

Give your store a quick phone call first unless it`s close enough to nip out to.

Brambles - 2012-12-30 1:17 PM

Hopefully you are aware this oil is not suitable for ducato diesel engines. You need the magnatec or edge variants in the castrol range for modern engines.

edit - spelling.

Don't believe so. I reckon it's perfectly OK for (as an example) a 2001 Ducato 2.8JTD engine.

I'd have thought it totally fine for any 1994-2002 X230 or 2002-2006 X244 Ducato deisel engines, but agree that the latest 2006-on X250 deisels want "poncier" oil.

Also, at the other end of the evolutionary tree, if you've got a venerable first generation Ducato, DO NOT put anything other than basic 20/50 mineral oil in. That's all it needs.

Any semi-synthetic, runny stuff like 10/40 etc, will just make your oil seals leak. Trust me. I know this.

The reason i put this thread on here was to highlight the fact that this Oil is on offer at ASDA.

If anyone uses this oil i thought it would be of help to them as i`m sure people would rather

pay £12 instead of the usual £20/£22 that it is normally on sale at.

Guest Peter James

I have both the Fiat and Citroen handbooks.

Fiat Recommend Selenia, and Citroen recommend Total for the same X2/50 engine, as expected.

But both accept ACEA B4 where their own brand is not available.

Fiat say 'Lubricants with minimum ACEA B4 properties are tolerated, in this event top engine performance is not guaranteed' (but how much of that is marketing to steer the punter towards the oil they make a profit on?)

Viscosity recommendations depend on ambient temperatures.

According to the Citroen chart (attached), 10w 40 , or even 15w 40, is OK for British ambient temperatures.

When I got my X2/50 new, there was no handbook - (I got that through the post later).. I asked the mechanic at the Citroen Dealership what oil to put in and he told me they use 10w 40 semi synthetic.

So I use 10w 40 semi synthetic ACEA B4. Given the starship mileages these engines are designed for, I guess it will see me out whatever oil I put in.

952658812_X250oilviscosity.jpg.3896529b75d1f902ed6f121b790a7b94.jpg

Guest Peter James
Wooie - 2012-12-30 2:07 PM

The reason i put this thread on here was to highlight the fact that this Oil is on offer at ASDA.

If anyone uses this oil i thought it would be of help to them as i`m sure people would rather

pay £12 instead of the usual £20/£22 that it is normally on sale at.

Its a good deal. Thanks for posting B-)

Well I have to concede I appear to be wrong and this oil indeed meets the fiat requirements for Fiat diesel engine oil. It is not suitable on the data sheets I have but then they are not the latest issue, but looking on line the specs seem to be saying it meets the spec FIAT 9.55535-D2, albeit not approved by Fiat. Maybe I was getting comfused with the earlier versions of the GTX oils where thw 10/40 is only B3 and was an enhanced mineral oil, this one in asda appears to be a true hydrocracked and highly refined oil . I should just keep quiet and stick to only reading the forums again, as I seem to get a lot of things wrong these day....must be an age thing!!!

Lets just say I am confused and don't know and leave it at that. Sorry guys.

Guest Peter James
Not your fault. The manufacturers recommendation is the first port of call for reliable information. But even that has to be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes, because they are not in business to make vehicles. They are in business to make money and sell the products that make them a profit. I think thats whats causing the confusion here.

Brambles - 2012-12-30 11:17 PM

Well I have to concede I appear to be wrong and this oil indeed meets the fiat requirements for Fiat diesel engine oil. It is not suitable on the data sheets I have but then they are not the latest issue, but looking on line the specs seem to be saying it meets the spec FIAT 9.55535-D2, albeit not approved by Fiat. Maybe I was getting comfused with the earlier versions of the GTX oils where thw 10/40 is only B3 and was an enhanced mineral oil, this one in asda appears to be a true hydrocracked and highly refined oil . I should just keep quiet and stick to only reading the forums again, as I seem to get a lot of things wrong these day....must be an age thing!!!

Lets just say I am confused and don't know and leave it at that. Sorry guys.

Don't worry mate - all of us post stuff that we thought was being helpful to others, but which gets flak from time to time. That's life. Keep 'em coming.......... :-D

Archived