Ducato 3.0 everything dead

Heyloft

Hi anyone help

My Dethleffs has a Ducato cab.

Last driven 3 weeks ago, is hooked upto the mains in between trips so always trickle charged, but went out today and get nothing from the ignition.

No display, no lights, no hazards, nothing at all.

The leisure side is all okay and the Dethleffs panel reports the Fiat side battery is healthy and providing 13.7v

Is there a 'main' fuse somewhere? The Fiat handbook isn't much help and the Dethleffs manual only covers the leisure side.

some of the vans that I have driven for work, part of a motor pool, had a main fuze to protect the system if you tried to start with the vehicle in gear. This main fuze blew and we always called out the AA/RAC to replace the fuze. Can't remember what it was rated at but it was a big one probably hundreds of Amps.

So did you have it in gear when you tried to start it ?

There's fuse-related information that may be helpful here:

http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/260991-battery-fuse.html

If Dethleffs has connected the motorhome's starter-battery gauge directly to the starter-battery, the gauge would read even if a main 'Fiat fuse' had blown. 13.7V suggests that the gauge is reading high, or that the starttr-battery was being charged when the reading was taken. I'd guess that the problem is fuse-related, but it would be sensible to do as rupert123 advises and check the starter-battery's charge-state with a voltmeter.

We Had a similar problem this year, err last year 2012. Started the van two days before going away, the van started OK , the engine ran with no problems. Loaded the van, disconnected the hook up to leave home two days later , tried to start engine, no response at all. Battery ( 11 years old ) completely dead. Fortunately our local discount car spares shop had the right one in stock so we were soon on our way. I was surprised that the battery could die completely so quickly.

Brian B.

Archived