Satelite changes in europe

dakota

Oh dear, here we go! I foolishly thought this thread might escape the usual harping on, criticising the subject matter as 'you don't use your motorhome correctly'.

If you stay at a site for 2 days you should have a caravan.

If you have never wild camped you can't be a proper motorhomer.

If you use EHU you are some sort of moron.

Now, if you ask a question about skewing a satellite dish and the TV police are on you like a rash!

God alive, I'm actually a member of a couple of 'Clubs', now have your penneth there.

We are extremely selective in our TV viewing, recording the odd program so that we can watch what we want, when we want.

Which is usually before/during/after walking, sightseeing, reading, having a meal out, cycling, having a conversation, having an early night etc!

However, if these persuits are not in the motorhomers handbook, can someone come back to me?

And for goodness sake, let's stop this petty points scoring on just about every thread.

Posting this from the ile de re, but that's so 'yesterday' innit?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bolero boy - 2013-06-21 3:56 PM

Oh dear, here we go! I foolishly thought this thread might escape the usual harping on, criticising the subject matter as 'you don't use your motorhome correctly'.

If you stay at a site for 2 days you should have a caravan.

If you have never wild camped you can't be a proper motorhomer.

If you use EHU you are some sort of moron.

Now, if you ask a question about skewing a satellite dish and the TV police are on you like a rash!

God alive, I'm actually a member of a couple of 'Clubs', now have your penneth there.

We are extremely selective in our TV viewing, recording the odd program so that we can watch what we want, when we want.

Which is usually before/during/after walking, sightseeing, reading, having a meal out, cycling, having a conversation, having an early night etc!

However, if these persuits are not in the motorhomers handbook, can someone come back to me?

And for goodness sake, let's stop this petty points scoring on just about every thread.

Posting this from the ile de re, but that's so 'yesterday' innit?

Total agree Chris gets right up my nose, spoils the thread and when people do a search for say satellite and find it has been hijacked by petty minded morons they just give up and look else where.

Dave

Guest JudgeMental
Agree ..the man a cretin. what business is it of his! Funny thing being I am like minded and prefer reading etc....and soaps as no no for 20 odd years ..weaned the wife of them way back! But what business is it of his, what others choose to do with their time. Plus to compound the ignorance, FYI I have seen many a panel van with a dish *-)

Abuse aside it still is the possible case that if you need TV to occupy your time via a Astra dish you may soon be limited to a much smaller area or a huge very expensive dish.

But then I am one of the never use hookups, wild camp most of the time and travel to widen my knowledge types and enjoy being away from the massed ranks of "normal" motor homers with whom I have very little in common.

JudgeMental - 2013-06-21 5:26 PM

Plus to compound the ignorance, FYI I have seen many a panel van with a dish *-)

I've got one on my panel van (65cms Teleco) which unlike some other makes does not require constant software updates; it works a treat. Just back from the Dordogne and I actually watched TV mainly because of poor weather. Read plenty of books too but I consider the TV to be a great bonus especially to keep in touch with the news.

On a side issue I was amazed how panel van ownership seems to have rocketed in the last 12 months.

Mike88 - 2013-06-23 5:13 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-06-21 5:26 PM

Plus to compound the ignorance, FYI I have seen many a panel van with a dish *-)

I've got one on my panel van (65cms Teleco) which unlike some other makes does not require constant software updates; it works a treat. Just back from the Dordogne and I actually watched TV mainly because of poor weather. Read plenty of books too but I consider the TV to be a great bonus especially to keep in touch with the news.

On a side issue I was amazed how panel van ownership seems to have rocketed in the last 12 months.

Whats more amazing is the number of UK registered vans in the dordogne :D

We where down there a week ago, I was reading a 150y.o. second issue book by Darwin of the voyage of the Beagle, like yourself didn't stop me wanting to watch the Canadian GP, unfortunatly my little i-sat couldn't cope when a thunderstorm came throu right at end of race when Alonso was hunting down Hamilton :-(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Nobby - 2013-06-19 9:17 AM

I will try and see if it is possible to skew this dish bay drilling some angled holes in the metal carrier plate.

Hi there. It is possible to skew the basic Camos Flatsat. I carried out a modification to mine a couple of years ago and it has performed admirably. The modification consists of a couple of slim alloy plates inserted and bolted between the 'dish' and the carrier to give a permanent skew angle which improves performance throughout Western Europe. I have yet to see if recent changes will make any difference this year!

I fabricated these two plates in order to save drilling any part of the original equipment which can be reverted to standard if necessary. The parts cost me a few £'s.

PM me if you want any further info. I can send you a couple of pics if you wish.

Nobby

I have been up and the roof and am making a template for a carrier. I think I can do this with one plate with two sets of holes in it, one set at a 20deg angle to the other. I will let you know how I get on.

One further point, when on the roof I noticed that the Camos felt a bit loose on its mountings......not the mounting plate which is glued to the roof but rotating assembly and its solidity with the bracket inside the van....................hard to explain.

As its a manual system there has to be some support for the stem which goes through the roof, this is what seems loose.

I have taken off the bracket inside the van and refitted as tightly as I can but has made no real difference.

Any advice anyone?

Pauline, thanks - spoke to Nick today. Not sure if he is that familiar with the 'innards' of the unit, they mainly fit the thing as one complete unit, tho he did suggest that there might be a nut holding the top and bottom pieces together.

I removed the inside winder and alignment plate and could see a nut inside the unit looking upwards. The tricky thing is how to tighten as the winder shaft is in the way.................

Think I'll not worry too much for now but maybe speak to Roadpro or another Camos agent if it gets worse.

Thanks again.

Archived