Newbie looking to buy........ help and advice

caplee

Hi there,

Hubby and I have thought about getting a motorhome for a few years now and have been close a few times. We have decided that this year is the year to go ahead as we don't have as many commitments as previous years.

A question if I may?

We are in a lucky position where we are VAT exempt. Is it better to buy a new motorhome or go for something a few years old (thinking depreciation as we want to sell on every year or so).

Any advice people can give us will be greatly appreciated.

We are currently in Germany (but don't speak the lingo) so will be looking out for some caravan shows to go to in the UK.

Leanne

Guest pelmetman
Beware the VAT carrot dangled by dealers 8-)................yes you'll save thousands on a new van *-)...................but your'll have to pay it back if you sell it within a few years ;-)

There are many German dealers who have someone who speaks English and prices do seem to be a lot more competitive over there.

You should work on the fact that a motorhomes second hand value depreciates by the amount of the VAT as you leave the forecourt and thereafter only depreciates slowly until it is about 3 years old or 30000 miles when it takes another sharp drop and then again depreciates slowly.

If you are VAT free due to disability then maybe not so lucky. You should first find a 'van / layout that suits your needs / abilities and then consider the best place to get what you want at the best price. If you are in the lucky position of not having a trade in then you have the whip hand in any dealership (home or abroad).

Sorry, perhaps should be a bit clearer. We are VAT exempt as we are British Forces serving in Germany and therefore are entitled to buy one tax free vehicle (each) every year but have to keep it a year.

So new.......... or used? Would we then be better to keep for three years?

caplee - 2013-01-02 7:24 PM

Sorry, perhaps should be a bit clearer. We are VAT exempt as we are British Forces serving in Germany and therefore are entitled to buy one tax free vehicle (each) every year but have to keep it a year.

New if you have the money if not have a look at old Hymers, RMB or N+B all in Germany some good buys on the site I gave a link to.

Good luck

Dave

Guest pelmetman
caplee - 2013-01-02 7:24 PM

Aaaaah that puts a different slant on it ;-).............I bought a new vehicle in Gib in 78/79 and I exported it within a certain time frame so I got to claim back the local tax :-D.........but if you sold it too soon in the UK ;-).......as I did *-)...............then you have to pay UK tax :-(...............

Still made a few quid flogging it to a Lt Cdr B-)

johnnerontheroad - 2013-01-02 7:55 PM

caplee - 2013-01-02 7:36 PM

Dave - cheers will have a look. Hate buying things in Germany as I feel that I massively lose out on the crap exchange rate :)

You must get paid in Euros, I got paid in D marks when I was over there years ago. :-D

Dave

That is true but when I convert it back to sterling I feel that I could get more van for the money in UK????

Bring back the DM I say.... much better back then... bloody euro!

Guest pelmetman
johnnerontheroad - 2013-01-02 9:38 PM

caplee - 2013-01-02 9:25 PM

We are looking at the Marquis Majestic 180.......... or a Triute T720. Any advice?

If it were me I would buy German not British better built, just my opinion. I would also do a search on here and other forums for Marquis. Just a thought.

Dave

Maybe its just me ;-)............but are you buying cash?.................or a NAAFI loan?........and what are your reasons for buying?..........

As the thought of having an expensive camper sat on the drive whilst I have to work my butt of to pay the loan is to my small mind, the worst of all options 8-)

caplee - 2013-01-02 9:25 PM

We are looking at the Marquis Majestic 180.......... or a Triute T720. Any advice?

Both of these are large Overcab, 6 berth models.

The Marquis Majestic range are Dealer specials of the Elldis Autoquest, but with a special paint job & some options fitted as standard.

So if it has options you would not require, have a look at the base specification as it that form it only has 375kg payload & after deducting 5 passengers weights it will be very limited, especially having to accomodate a Wheelchair.

http://www.elddis.co.uk/motorhomes/autoquest/autoquest-180/technical-information#tabs

Regarding the Tribute, it's built at the Autotrail factory in UK & (IMHO) is a better build than the Elldis, but again the payload problem applies.

Regarding VAT on additions / modifications to the Motorhome.

If you (or a passenger) qualifies VAT Zero rated due DLA (Disability Living Allowance) & Mobility Allowance is entitled to Zero Rated VAT for purchase, modifications, servicing (mechanical & habitation) & Zero RFL.

However Mobility Scooter users do NOT qualify, but a Wheelchair user does qualify. This now applies for both New & Used vehicles.

For an intro regarding the rules see here:-

http://www.coachbuiltgb.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions-1/vat-what-are-the-rules/

caplee - 2013-01-02 8:09 PM

That is true but when I convert it back to sterling I feel that I could get more van for the money in UK????

I think not - buying a German van in Germany you will save 10 - 15k on rip of UK prices, I saved over £10,000 buying my Hymer in Belgium.

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2013-01-02 10:50 PM

I think not - buying a German van in Germany you will save 10 - 15k on rip of UK prices, I saved over £10,000 buying my Hymer in Belgium.

OT................IF payload is an issue?..................then how can German vans be any better than British considering they have the same bench mark ;-)..............ie a Fiat or Ford base vehicle 8-)

Guest JudgeMental

johnnerontheroad - 2013-01-02 7:55 PM

caplee - 2013-01-02 7:36 PM

Dave - cheers will have a look. Hate buying things in Germany as I feel that I massively lose out on the crap exchange rate :)

You must get paid in Euros, I got paid in D marks when I was over there years ago. :-D

Dave

Simply not true.. Better value vans in Germany. Do a comparison with say an Adria sport....Same van, UK over 50k, Germany 37k. Do the math once you select a van. Exchange rate still favourable at 1.23??

The Deutschmark was the strongest/hardest currency in Europe with far less favourable exchange rates.....

pelmetman - 2013-01-02 11:45 PM

lennyhb - 2013-01-02 10:50 PM

OT................IF payload is an issue?..................then how can German vans be any better than British considering they have the same bench mark ;-)..............ie a Fiat or Ford base vehicle 8-)

Payload only becomes an issue if buying the biggest box on wheels one can find for the money, and sticks to a 3,500kg chassis to carry it. Then, payload will be equally restricted wherever the van was made. However, that has little bearing on whether better value could be gained by buying in Germany as opposed to UK. Since both vans mentioned are UK built, they will not be available in Germany, so the case does not really arise.

However, if looking for best value, in terms of what a given van would actually cost to put on the road, better value is very likely to be gained by buying a new stock van in Germany, off a dealer's forecourt. Most German dealerships tend to buy-in vans with all the bells and whistles included, frequently including roll-out awnings, UK dealers tend to go for more basic specs. So, if you want this or that, you have to order a van, and pay the extra for the options. This complicates price comparisons. The only thing is that one has to buy vans made outside the UK, because, AFAIK, no UK manufacturer exports vans to the mainland. On balance, however, almost any van made on the European mainland will be cheaper to buy there than here, and with some makes, lot cheaper.

Don't know whether the forces deal extends to used vehicles, but if buying second hand as a private buyer, once the van has exceeded (I think) six months age, with over 6,000 km recorded, it is no longer regarded as "new" and the VAT is not deductible.

I think caplee should go here and get a copy of this book: http://tinyurl.com/8973u2p then and go on a crash motorhome course by reading it! :-) From the above posts I just get the impression they do not yet have much knowledge of the limitations and pitfalls when choosing and buying motorhomes. The book may save them a shed-load of money, help them sort wheat from chaff, as well as helping the selection process.

But, overall, buying a reputable brand in Germany will almost certainly get them a better van for the same cost, or the same van cheaper, than they could achieve buying new in UK.

Guest ziggydowns

Hi there.

My understanding is this regarding Vat free!!

If you qualify for Vat free purchase it does not matter if you sell the vehicle or not,the most important point is that you qualify legally in the first place.

take a look at this website.

www.eshartleygroup.co.uk

i know them very well and have always offered excellent service.

Thanks

Hello,

You are right in saying we are very new to this game and really don't know where to start. The marquis majestic seemed a "good deal" but with no experience, who am I to know.

with regards tax free, we are more than entitled. We do not get it for disabilities but due to the fact we are serving with the British Forces In Germany and under the SOFA agreement are exempt for paying VAT, motor vehicles being one of the luxuries we can do this with.

we are lucky enough to be in a position to pay cash and therefore also wonder if there is a deal to be had from the dealers because of this?

Any help is appreciated before we jump in with two pair of very hard feet and learn the wrong way x

caplee - 2013-01-05 8:26 PM

Hello,

You are right in saying we are very new to this game and really don't know where to start. The marquis majestic seemed a "good deal" but with no experience, who am I to know.

with regards tax free, we are more than entitled. We do not get it for disabilities but due to the fact we are serving with the British Forces In Germany and under the SOFA agreement are exempt for paying VAT, motor vehicles being one of the luxuries we can do this with.

we are lucky enough to be in a position to pay cash and therefore also wonder if there is a deal to be had from the dealers because of this?

Any help is appreciated before we jump in with two pair of very hard feet and learn the wrong way x

Does the SOFA agreement apply just for UK purchases or include Germany ?

If it includes Purchase in Germany, you will have a much larger choice of Vans (although few "traditional" British layout) & should show a reasonable saving against UK. If you have to pay German VAT (TUV ?) there will not be any price benefit.

As you are stationed in Germany, why not hire a Motorhome over there & this will give a good indication if the layout suits your actual needs. This c,ould save you a very thick wad if the layout you think you want (without experience) turns out to be unsuitable after purchase.

Also depending how long you will be stationed in Germany, you will be able to buy LHD for use on the continent.

flicka - 2013-01-05 10:16 PM

caplee - 2013-01-05 8:26 PM

Hello,

Does the SOFA agreement apply just for UK purchases or include Germany ?

If it includes Purchase in Germany, you will have a much larger choice of Vans (although few "traditional" British layout) & should show a reasonable saving against UK. If you have to pay German VAT (TUV ?) there will not be any price benefit.

As you are stationed in Germany, why not hire a Motorhome over there & this will give a good indication if the layout suits your actual needs. This c,ould save you a very thick wad if the layout you think you want (without experience) turns out to be unsuitable after purchase.

Also depending how long you will be stationed in Germany, you will be able to buy LHD for use on the continent.

I am almost certain we can use the tax free over here but something I will check when I return to work tomorrow. If this isn't the case what UK spec builds would you recommend? I think hiring is a very good idea

Guest JudgeMental

really silly looking at poorly built UK vans when you can buy German at far better prices....coals to newcastle springs to mind *-)

and yes you can buy vat free anywhere in EU. there are German dealers all over the place, and far more numerous and competitive because of it,17% discounts not uncommmon, and vans cheaper to begin with anyway.....just go to a few and have a look

JudgeMental - 2013-01-06 12:00 PM

really silly looking at poorly built UK vans when you can buy German at far better prices....coals to newcastle springs to mind *-)

and yes you can buy vat free anywhere in EU. there are German dealers all over the place, and far more numerous and competitive because of it,17% discounts not uncommmon, and vans cheaper to begin with anyway.....just go to a few and have a look

I can't see this cheaper vans anywhere? Would you point me in the right direction? Seems most stuff is optional extras....

What would it be like trying to sell LHD in UK though?.

Archived