Isle Of Man

Noodles

Has anybody taken their MH over to the Isle Of Man. We would like to go in our MH cos we went their for our honeymoon many moons ago.

We looked at the ferry prices and know it could be expensive as we may have to go as freight which could cost £500 8-) but we do need to have another look.

Any suggestions much appreciated :-D

Hi Noodles,

I can answer any questions you have about taking yourmotorhome over to and spending time on the Isle of Man.

You can sail from Heysham with any size motorhome but unlessyou are travelling during the TT Race period I don’t think you would pay £500?

I have just done a search for March 6th formotorhome and 2 people for 7 nights and the cost came to £213 return on theSteam Packet

Here is a link for all the stopover points for the Isle ofMan, it excludes campsites: http://www.camperstops.co.uk/index.php/isle-of-man-motorhome-stopovers/all-motorhome-stopovers-isle-of-man#!/catid=12;15;23;16;36;13;14

If you have any specific questions just ask!

The maximum length that Noodles refers to may be on the fastcat service that goes from Liverpool. The Heysham route is run by conventional ferries which have a much bigger capacity and do HGVs. May be worth checking again. By the way, the traditional ferry allows you to take your dog up into the passenger area - they have a special lounge for dogs and their owners, which seems to be a good idea.

sambukashot - 2013-01-04 9:15 AM

The price i quoted you was for a 5.5 meter motorhome i always book that even if mine is nearly 7 meters, for your motorhome just book the 6.5 meter length and you will be fine, the cost will not be that much more :) 

I assume that you are willing to pay the extra at the ferry port if you are measured and also willing to be turned away or wait for another ferry if there is not room for your incorrectly booked motorhome if the ferry is full.

Perhaps the other person would be unwilling to take these risks, morally or practically.

Just a couple of obs.

Max length to book online on any Steam Racket ferry is 6.5m after that you will have to phone and get a price as it is classed as freight.

The size of vehicles in the web site guide is a guide only, they can accomodate bigger vehicles the fast cat but probably at an extra cost.

Special offer are available but go quickly.

Our first time taking the MH instead of the bike this Aug (IOM festival of motorcycling) and decided to go from Heysham on the 'Ben' although Liverpool is nearer to Home, it gets a bit hectic on the Manannan (fast cat) especially when full of bikes and small vans.

HTH

B-)

Hi Everyone,

I live on the Isle of Man and travel a lot on the Steam Packet back and forth to the UK  so my advice is based on fact not fiction, if you wish to follow the advice above then pay the price and do your own thing!

I tell you how it works from a local travellers point of view to save you money, us locals do what i have already advised in my above messages but you can all feel free to do your own thing...

I have looked online and the ferry companies I have checked out all recommend that all large vans and motorhomes have to ring to book a crossing. I appreciate all advice given but we wouldn't want to take the chance of not getting on the ferry.

We are looking to going in September and I know the crossing will probably be rough cos it was when we last went to the island for our honeymoon, stayed in a hotel on the seafront in Douglas, it cost us £139 each for 9 days incl. all our transfers and 2 bottles of whiskey and wine. What's bargain! The Glens and Laxy Wheel, if I sell it to enough of you perhaps we could charter our own ferry and all get a bargain :-D

Archived