Problems reading MMM on line with new tablet

DJP

Hi

Can you read MMM online version without having Google play app or Silverlight on a tablet?

The tablet does not have Google play installed only Getjar. The mag directs you to Silverlight which is a PC/Apple reader.

Any suggestions please?

I cannot find a download for Google play. There is an active Gmail account set up.

Thanks

lennyhb - 2013-01-04 1:40 PM

You can't use Play if it is not pre-installed it's a licensing thing the tablet manufacturers have to pay Google.

You can download MMM in Mobi (kindle format) you should be able to download a kindle reader OK.

Thanks for that. The only download options I can see are for Apple iPad,iPhone or Applemac via Apple store Apps on IOS, or PC based using Silverlight, or Android using Google Play and finally Amazon for Kindle FIRE device onl, nothing for Kindle Reader or any option to download and convert. The mag just opens in Pocket Mag reader when viewed on a PC.

The other problem is when you try an view it using a 12" net book, only the top half of page displays, even using a lower level of magnification only shows top half of page. It is very frustrating not being able to read any of it with ease.

Anyon else had similar experiences?

I tried to read online (as I have done previously) and hit the problem with the Silverlight cr*p. Why do people chose these proprietary solutions for simple tasks... oh, I know why, development is cheaper!! Even Flash would be more X platform, but in the 21st century it should HTML 5 driven, and certainly not a proprietary, restrictive format.

The tablet apps although poor should work, what tablet have you got and what problems are you experiencing?

Honestly, I'd prefer downloadable PDF to whats available! and I WANT to go digital so much

lennyhb - 2013-01-04 5:24 PM

What is the OS on your tablet?

It is this tablet but not a recon version

http://www.maplin.co.uk/9.7-inch-yarvik-touchscreen-internet-tablet-android-4.0-ics-625190

The OS is Android™ 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) operating system

and the Installed Apps: Alarm Clock, Browser, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Downloads, Ebook Reader, Email, ES File Explorer, GetJar App Store, MobiSoft OfficeSuite Viewer, Music Player, Photo/Video Gallery,

The problem is that the app store is GetJar and the range of apps is limited and does not support a reader suitable for MMM Digital Issues.

Just had a look at Getjar must say the apps look a bit cr*p but there is a kindle reader "Kindle by Amazon Mobile LLC" sould do the trick. or you could download to a pc and convert the file to epub using Calibre excellent freebee program for organizing ebooks.

Must admit cheap tablets are a pain in the a**e we brought a Gotab before going to India for a month made sure it was one with Google Play as I knew about downloading apps problems without it, problem was wifi was so slow on it if more than a few yards from a router.

Waiting for an updated version of the ipad mini to come out with the Retnia screen might ave to buy a brace o them.

Archived