roof racks and awning on a fiat duccatto

anthonymoore

hi all ,looking for some words of wisdom.I am about to buy an adria twin motorhome-base vehicle is a fiat ducato2009. I want to be able to put on an awning (preferably wind out) and a roof rack. -it rather looks as if they both attach to the same part of the roof and I am trying to find out if I can attach both at once. I have found a web site advertising a fiamma roof rail fiat ducato ,which mentions that an awning can be attached to the same bracket , but only on the right hand side of the vehicle- not much help if you have a uk van with a left hand sliding door. not fixated on fiamma, but havent found any other solutions so far. Would greatly appreciate any bright ideas. thanks anthony

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm not sure if this is to be your first M/home, but we have a wind out awning and quite frankly find it of very little use, it does not provide shade where you want it,unless you keep moving your van, in moderate winds it's in danger of taking off and has the potential do do some real damage if it did. If it was me based on our experiences with all but one of our previous vans fitted with them ( by previous owners ) I'd go for the roof rack only, and carry a free standing gazebo that may well prove more useful. ;-)

anthonymoore - 2013-01-05 3:19 PM

hi all ,looking for some words of wisdom.I am about to buy an adria twin motorhome-base vehicle is a fiat ducato2009. I want to be able to put on an awning (preferably wind out) and a roof rack. -it rather looks as if they both attach to the same part of the roof and I am trying to find out if I can attach both at once. I have found a web site advertising a fiamma roof rail fiat ducato ,which mentions that an awning can be attached to the same bracket , but only on the right hand side of the vehicle- not much help if you have a uk van with a left hand sliding door. not fixated on fiamma, but havent found any other solutions so far. Would greatly appreciate any bright ideas. thanks anthony

Hi Anthony and welcome to the forum.

I've been Googling " Ducato with roof rack and awning " and it appears that there is an adaptor bracket available and on the sites I found it does not appear to specify right or left hand side.

Might be worth you having a further search ?

Good luck.

;-)

Hi Anthony

Can't comment about roof racks, but we could not do without our awning on the continent. Admittedly, we have to be careful with a wind and we never leave it out when leaving the van, or at night in case a storm blows up, but in the heat of the day it is essential to have one. During the day, we spend very little time in the van, just lazing around outside, moving around to keep in the shade. I say again, happy new year to all and safe travelling.

Alan

hi , thanks all for the very prompt and helpful replies to my first forum post-vey impressed. We are in the process of moving up from a t5 longwheelbase converion to an adria twin,and the roof rack is to put my surfboards on.when surfing locally in n devon they fit nicely inside , but on longer trips its good to be able to put them up on the roof out of the way.some very helpful advise and tips .looks like it will be possible to get an awning/roof rack combo.The next challenge will be getting the transverse roof bars high enough so that a surboard will lay above the rooflights which are actually quite raised- but i think it can be done. then there is the challenge of how to get up there to strap a board on- we will have a ladder on the back door , but i dont know if it will be safe to put my weight on the roof if i keep to the edge of the van rather than the middle of the roof. i may opt to carry a small ladder to rest against the side of the van rather than risk walking on the roof- does anyone know if walking on the roof is possible?

will let you know how i get on.cheers , anthony

These look nifty bits of kit...

http://www.karitek.co.uk/shop.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=163

..but would probably kill your available payload... (lol)

Maybe a "simpler" option would be roof bars(ladder rack style):

http://www.rhinoroofracksdirect.co.uk/Ducato-Oct-2006-Onwards-LWB-High-Roof/

...with a tidy awning rail fixed along the side(s) ,so that a simple tarp canopy could be attached....

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/membershop/bd_easicanopy.asp

You could perhaps use a lightweight telescopic ladder to gain access..?

• 4 months later...

Hi

An old thread I know but I have exactly the same problem. Did you work a good solution out?

The Fiamma dealer also tells me the Fiamma roof bar system won't work with the awning on the off side (UK).

The adaptors mentioned here in the thread are not a solution.

I can't find an answer short of taking off the awning. But even then I can't yet find a roof rack that will be higher than the roof lights.

Archived