Travel Security in Poland

ColinE

We are planning our first trip to Poland around May for a month, taking in Wroclaw, Tatra Mnts and then heading north via Warsaw to Gdansk and the Lake district. Are the roads getting better? Our main concern though is that of safety. We hear and even the Rough Guide to Poland states that theft fro and of vehicles is something of a national hobby. Is this an exaggaration and by taking the normal precautions then it is no worse than other european countries.

Finally are the mozzies really that bad in May in the Lakes?

Thanks

Colin

Poland is a country I have toured a few times now.....love the place, the people and the warm and friendly welcome I receive each time i'm there.

The infrastructure is constantly improving with a major motorway through to Warsaw almost fully completed. You will find the odd pothole here 'n there on smaller side roads but nothing serious.

Safety and theft? I've never had any problems in Poland or for that matter any parts of East Europe. The description in the Rough Guide of theft being "a national hobby" is grossly inaccurate and yes, a total exaggeration! You won't find any 'highway robbers' in Poland. Polish Police are very pro-active and don't p**s around. Naturally foreign tourism is a highly valued asset to their country and they intend to make sure it stays that way too.

Mosquito types of fly are certainly around during the hotter months (you may escape them in May). I describe them as 'types' as some flies are biters whilst others are not and it isn't easy to distinguish which is which......until you are bit! Naturally they are most commonly found around wooded or forest areas especially if close to water. Last year one area I was touring in Poland I had problems with wasps which appeared in quite an extraordinary number.

Best being prepared. Get a Mozzie spray here or if you forget just pop in any Supermarket there and ask an assistant for Komar which is Polish for Mosquito.

Bulletguy - 2013-01-07 12:49 AM

Safety and theft? I've never had any problems in Poland or for that matter any parts of East Europe. The description in the Rough Guide of theft being "a national hobby" is grossly inaccurate and yes, a total exaggeration! You won't find any 'highway robbers' in Poland. Polish Police are very pro-active and don't p**s around. Naturally foreign tourism is a highly valued asset to their country and they intend to make sure it stays that way too.

Typical of travel guides try reading ones on England you will never want to go to London again.

You should take an extra bit of care if your trip takes you close to the border with Germany, Czechland, etc. as the cross border gangs are making a killing, it's driving the Police mad as they can do very little once they have crossed back to their home country, and always use a recognised camp site, there are plenty around, I'm not sure about Poland but 'wild camping' does attract the attention of the Police and others in Czechland.

Guest JudgeMental
ColinE - 2013-01-07 4:19 PM

Thanks for the info - I have picked up elsewhere that there had been incidents near the German border so this confirms vigilance is still needed in this area.

No difference then from Spain *-)

Hi Colin

We have visited Poland twice in recent years as our son married a Polish girl a couple of years ago.

I can only agree with Bulletguy we have always been treated very well on our travels there,the people almost without exception are helpful warm and friendly. The roads are improving all the time apart from the odd pothole on minor roads. As far as safety goes we have never had any problems and with the usual precautions neither should you. My sons M.I.L says for obvious reasons German tourists are not treated as well as us english (pay-back time!!!). We have visited the south around the Tatra,s and can recommend Zackopane as a place to visit, also Krakow is a wonderful city and you must visit the nearby salt mine.

Auschwitz is also close to Krakow and I feel although its quite emotional you will regret it if you don,t visit there.

Gdansk,Sopot and Gdynia in the north are well worth visiting (my daughter-in-law comes from Sopot) and a bit further south Torun is another lovely city/town. I have not visited the lakes in Mazuria yet, we are going there next year, but my D.I.L tells me the mozzies are not a big problem in May.

JudgeMental - 2013-01-07 4:21 PM

Thanks for the info - I have picked up elsewhere that there had been incidents near the German border so this confirms vigilance is still needed in this area.

As you are posing that as a question or presumption rather than commenting from any personal experience, the answer is very different.

Quite why you chose to mention Spain when the Poster's query concerned Poland i'm not entirely sure......but I think I know what you are trying.

Guest JudgeMental
Bulletguy - 2013-01-07 10:19 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-01-07 4:21 PM

As you are posing that as a question or presumption rather than commenting from any personal experience, the answer is very different.

Quite why you chose to mention Spain when the Poster's query concerned Poland i'm not entirely sure......but I think I know what you are trying.

Really?.....Spit it out then.

I responded to a few mentions of trouble in border region bu Losos and ColinE which sounds to me similar to what happens in Spain.....what wrong with that. Are you saying you think eastern Europe impervious to crime *-)

Hi All,

Trying to piggy-back rather than hi-jack thread, has anybody out there travelled through Northern Croatia and Slovenia please and have they any experience of feeling unsafe on their travels. We are thinking of doing this trip as part of this years plans and any info. would be greatly appreciated. We would like to travel on NON-TOLL roads.

ColinE, we were forced to leave a lovely site in Austria, close to Zell-Am See due to flies that seemed like 'horse flies' but burrowed ferociously in to our skin.

cheers,and good travelling

derek

Guest JudgeMental
spent 6 weeks this summer and 4 last in Croatia/Italy without problems..That dont mean it dont happen but I'm very cautious and risk adverse as that is how I used to make a living....

derek pringle - 2013-01-08 11:06 AM

Hi All,

Trying to piggy-back rather than hi-jack thread, has anybody out there travelled through Northern Croatia and Slovenia please and have they any experience of feeling unsafe on their travels. We are thinking of doing this trip as part of this years plans and any info. would be greatly appreciated. We would like to travel on NON-TOLL roads.

ColinE, we were forced to leave a lovely site in Austria, close to Zell-Am See due to flies that seemed like 'horse flies' but burrowed ferociously in to our skin.

cheers,and good travelling

derek

Hi Derek

We did a bit of travelling in Slovenia last summer and never felt anything but very safe. It is very similar to Austria but cheaper. We travelled mostly on A-roads and B-roads and found them to be of an excellent standard. I can thoroughly recommend Lake Bled it is beautiful there.

derek pringle - 2013-01-08 11:06 AM

Hi All,

Derek

Cannot comment on Croatia as I have not toured there (my insurance doesn't cover) though am looking at alternatives as I would like to tour there en route to Bulgaria.

Slovenia is a very pretty country but not cheap i'm afraid. I've toured from the west to the east and vice versa. Never experienced any issues as to safety. Parked up a few times around the capital, Ljubljana, no problems at all. Pro-active no nonsense policing there to help tourists and there to ensure safety and law abiding. All roads are good and the motorways (now unfortunately toll) excellent though can get snarled up if approaching Ljubljana around 4pm weekdays on all roads, so try and avoid that!

Archived