Truma LPG fuel cell

Guest JudgeMental

Clive - 2013-01-07 4:55 PM

Look in the latest MMM for some words on this and also the Protonex - and a few more!

Makes the EFOY look cheap as a unit but not per amp generated.

C.

Thought I'd seen something about the Protonex product recently...

MMM January 2013 issue, "Fuelling the Debate" article (by Clive) is on pages 189 and 90.

A question for Clive.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but a question that interests me regarding the EFOY unit is, how long do the fuel containers last in practice? Or if you prefer, how many ampere-hours can you generate out of a 5 litre container of methanol?

The spec sheet says 0.9 L per KWH generated. so at 12 volts that's about 83 ampere hours.

But if you also use solar and only use the EFOY when you actually need it a 5 litre canister will last a very long time. For us we have used nearly 10 liters in 6 years. Its a backup power source and was very useful when the alternator stopped working!!

C.

Clive - 2013-01-07 10:51 PM

The spec sheet says 0.9 L per KWH generated. so at 12 volts that's about 83 ampere hours.

But if you also use solar and only use the EFOY when you actually need it a 5 litre canister will last a very long time. For us we have used nearly 10 liters in 6 years. Its a backup power source and was very useful when the alternator stopped working!!

C.

Using the above data and rounding the figures, this means that 5 litres of methanol will produce about 460 a/h. The habitation battery in our Duetto is 90 a/h and so this equates to just over 5 complete recharges (assuming 100% efficiency), at a cost of about £60 per 5 litre container of methanol.

You are right Clive, at this sort of consumption / cost, an EFOY unit can only be regarded as a backup. It would be far cheaper to idle the van's engine, or even (God forbid) use a generator.

Ok but but how much petrol would you use for a generator to charge a dead flat battery.

Credit where credits due, Its not very often that we get dead flat batteries, the efoy does a good job of keeping the charge up & it does it very quietly, efoy compliments solar very nicely

Paul- - 2013-01-08 6:05 PM

Ok but but how much petrol would you use for a generator to charge a dead flat battery.

Credit where credits due, Its not very often that we get dead flat batteries, the efoy does a good job of keeping the charge up & it does it very quietly, efoy compliments solar very nicely

Agreed about the EFOY, but ....

My generator (not used with the van) uses about half a litre an hour and produces about 500 watts. This equates to about 40 amps at 12 volts. Assuming 70% efficiency this means that my flat 90 a/h habitation battery would need about 3½ hours of charging, or very roughly 1 litre of petrol per full recharge of the battery.

The cost of 5 litres of EFOY branded methanol from a UK supplier is about £60, the cost of 5 litres of petrol from a UK garage is about £6-50, i.e. about 10 times cheaper.

I am going to stop here as I don't want to change the nature of this thread any further.

spospe - 2013-01-08 9:08 PM

The cost of 5 litres of EFOY branded methanol from a UK supplier is about £60, the cost of 5 litres of petrol from a UK garage is about £6-50, i.e. about 10 times cheaper.

The local Poles can knock you some out for couple of quid a gallon :D

Without doubt the generator is a much cheaper option but over night charging the starter battery via Efoy was workable, via generator was not. But peace of mind it provides for sure.

Its your money and your priorities.

There is always the hookup!

C.

Archived