Bosnia/Croatia

DonB

We are going to Dubrovnik, Croatia in September. Does anybody know if we need International Driving Licences for either country? Also any advice about campsites, aires, in the Dubrovnik area would be much appreciated, or anything else that might help us!

DonB An IDP is not required in either country but it is advisable to have one especially in Bosnia. We always have them on our travels and they are always well received. It will cost you £5.50 for IDP but I think it's well worth it. The following sites will give you useful info for your trip. http://tinyurl.com/9ehs3 http://tinyurl.com/fzxdn http://tinyurl.com/kzyn7 Hope you have a safe journey. Don

We travelled to Croatia three years ago. Here is an extract from an ariticle which I had printed in MMM. I hope it is of some use to you. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. We did and we found it a wonderful country. CROATIA – Auto-Camp Solitudo – Dubrovnik Dubrovnik, the pearl of the Adriatic. At last we had reached our destination! We had driven down from the ferry port at Zeebrugge through some of the most beautiful countries, but now, as we crossed Dubrovnik’s striking suspension bridge we felt like Alice crossing through the looking glass. Just what would be on the other side? We had been astounded by the beauty of Croatia and now this was to be the icing on the cake. Finding the campsite proved unusually easy as it was signposted from well over 25km before reaching Dubrovnik. Auto Camp Solitudo is situated on a hillside about ten minutes drive from the centre of Dubrovnik. The site has recently been modernised to a very high standard. There are three pitches, two of which are slightly sloping. Mature trees on two of the pitches offer plenty of shade but only partial shade is given by the newly planted trees on the third pitch, however, I felt that this was more than compensated by the splendid views from this field. All the pitches were clearly marked with plenty of space given to each. The ample toilet blocks, which are situated in the centre of the site, have British style WCs and are modern and clean, as are the showers and washbasins, all of which have a plentiful supply of hot running water. There are laundry facilities with coin operated washing machines. There are also clean, modern toilets blocks to be found at the rear of the reception, which is at the entrance to the site. The large reception is manned by friendly, helpful staff who all spoke English. Money can be exchanged at reception. There is a well stocked shop which is open early in the morning and late in the evening (wonderful for late arrivals). There is also a very reasonably priced restaurant where national and international dishes can be tasted. This was where we bumped into the only English people we met in Croatia. The long beach is a short walk down from the site and offers various water sporting facilities. We chose to drive into the centre of Dubrovnik, but there is a bus from the main road which is just five minutes walk from the camp site and apparently only takes about fifteen minutes. However, if you do choose to drive into the centre of Dubrovnik, go early, as parking is at a premium. Finding this campsite was an added bonus after such a long drive. Although not one of the cheapest sites it was well worth every penny for its modern facilities, cleanliness, space and friendly, helpful staff. We found the whole experience of Croatia wonderful and of course Dubrovnik is just outstanding and considering its troubled past still remains a real gem. It was, all in all, a truly unforgettable experience and one we highly recommend. Kind regards Kath & Kevin Hawkins

Archived