Gaslow/Gas-It in new Kon-Tiki

Tmesis

Hi - I'm shortly picking up my new Kon-Tiki and have decided to fit a Gaslow or Gas-it kit rather than Calor Gas. Does anyone know if a pair of the 11Kg bottles will fit please? Also, is there a route to fit an external filler rather than one in the gas locker?

Thanks

We had one large lpg bottle in our Kontiki 610 which autogas at Carlton minniot near Thirsk fitted they removed the collar and altered the base of the cupboard just cutting a small half circle out of the black frame bit that holds the bottle in, it was a good fit and left room for a bucket and cleaning stuff beside it. Or yes I think the answer to your question there should be room for two small bottles.

Tmesis

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

This 2012 document

http://assets.swiftgroup.co.uk/uploads/HandBooks/motorhomes/2012%20Motorhome%20Tech%20Books/6436%20Kon-Tiki-E700%20tech%20book%202012.pdf

indicates on Page 10 that Swift Kon-Tiki/Bessacarr E700 models can carry 2 x 13kg gas bottles. If that's correct, then 2 x 11kg Gaslow or Gas-It canisters should easily fit. I expect the 2 x 13kg datum is correct as it tallies with the specification on the final page of this MMM March 2011 Kon-Tiki report

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/userfiles/file/MMM%20historic%20road%20tests/lores%20Swift%20Kon-Tiki%20659%20.pdf

but I suggest you contact the dealership that's supplying your new motorhome to make absolutely certain.

It would be normal practice to fit the LPG filling-point outside the gas-locker as described here:

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pdf/Filling-Instructions-2012.pdf

Fitting the filling-point within the gas-locker is easier from a DIY point of view and is probably cheaper when a refillable-bottle system is to be installed professionally. But having the LPG filling-point outside the gas-locker (either integrated into the motorhome's bodywork or on a bracket beneath the 'skirt' makes best sense. After all, you won't find bi-fuel cars requiring a door to be opened to access their LPG filling-point. (On the other hand, as Gaslow emphasises the importance of turning off a canister's outlet valve outlt-valve before refilling, to do this the gas-locker door would need to be opened in any case!)

If you can get one 11kg bottle (that's about 20litres of LPG) into the gas-locker, you may want to ask yourself whether you really need two such bottles.

I have to wonder whether you need two refillables?

Depends on your gas use of course but a 13kg bottle for us will last upwards of a month in summer and about two weeks or so in cold winter so if you have one that you can refill as needed and a Calor backup would that not suffice.

Hi Tmesis,

We had 6 kg Gasflow bottles fitted to our Autocruise Stardream, down sized to a Topaz and they don't fit, to big, they are 'complete' all fittings etc. we did not want the outside of the van drilled so had an internal connector fitted in the locker works okay.they are for sale.

Mike.

Thanks for this. I guess if you can fit one in you can fit two in as the diameter of Gaslow 11Kg is 11mm smaller than the Calor Gas 13Kg, and is the same height. I was hoping to find someone who had fitted two as there are extra fill pipes to route and wanted to make sure it would all go in without too much drilling and sawing.

I wanted two big cylinders as I don't particularly like camp sites and fancied touring Scandinavia later in the year when heating will be essential and LPG may be scarce.

Hi Tmesis,

We don't have a refillable system ourselves(as we don't use that much gas)..but as you're definately looking at going for twin bottles(which I guess would be about £350ish diy?),if you've the space,I just wonder,would be worth checking out how much extra it would be for an underslung cylinder/tank installation...?

...That would then free up the gas locker for use as handy "external" storage...

Twin cylinder KIT : http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=288

30ltr TANK : http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=15

Just a thought.... ;-)

pepe63 - 2013-01-11 3:20 PM

As you're definately looking at going for twin bottles(which I guess would be about £350ish diy?),if you've the space,I just wonder,would be worth checking out how much extra it would be for an underslung cylinder/tank installation...?

I don't want to over-complicate things and so I've just ordered a dual 11Kg Gas-it bottle set with an auto changeover and external fill point. As the motorhome I've gone for has a garage, external space isn't going to be a problem and should I get bored with the travelling thing at least there's a market for the second hand bottles. I think it would be more difficult to shift a permanent tank. Also, whilst I feel comfortable plumbing in the bottle kit, I'd probably have to call in the experts to mount and plumb in a fixed solution.

Thanks

Andrew

Ah,I see..well as it's a garage model,you're not really going to be pushed for storage,are you.. (lol)

(..although, "..famous last words.." eh? :-D )

..and true enough,"loose" bottles would be far easier to transfer or sell on,than a "tank"(..which would probably end up staying with the vehicle..).

I must say when(IF? :-S )we ever get the time/funds to clear off touring,I'd like to "do" Scandinavia..

(..a few years back,a mate of mine went up the west coast of Norway,up as far as he could get,armed with a Landie and a roof tent..Some of the photos were breathtaking!..it certainly put our little jaunts to the cotswolds into perspective *-) (lol) ).

Chris

Archived