Insurance cancellation BEWARE

miglio2

Back in December, around the 6th, I cancelled my motorhome insurance, having sold the vehicle and moved back to a caravan. My policy, via Insurance Choice underwritten by Highway, was for £349 for 6000 miles per year. my cancellation was on the 103rd day of a 365 day policy, so arguably had £251 of cover left in it. imagine my dismay when today, January 10th, i finally learn that a) Highway refund only 10% of the premium on cancellation and Insurance Choice take that, again for cancellation, so I get nothing back. So, a limited mileage policy might bring the premium down, BUT the smallest of small print enables the underwriter to refund only 10% after 103 days cover. So beware. with motorhome insurance, you seldom get what you pay for

Guest JudgeMental

sorry to hear that....Have never heard of this insurer and just as well I guess! *-)

look at other insurance thread running at monment re comfort insurance. There are links on how to complain to the insurance ombudsman...personally I think its fraudulent depending on if you signed up for these terms and conditions

JudgeMental - 2013-01-10 3:42 PM

sorry to hear that....Have never heard of this insurer and just as well I guess! *-)

Hi Judge,

this is a link to them as mentioned on another forum :-

http://www.insurancechoice.co.uk/motorhome-insurance?ad_id=AFF0215900640

You fill in the details and they ring you back...... took them over a week to get back to me

When they eventually did they were way above all the other quotes.

i recently cancelled my insurance, (with a well known and respected company) with 2 months left to run. the cancellation fee was greater than the amount i would be recompensed. i mentioned this to my new insurer (another well known and respected company) and they said yes, this was normal,

and they would refund any loss i incurred. the industry norm, apparently.

miglio2 - 2013-01-10 2:45 PM

Back in December, around the 6th, I cancelled my motorhome insurance, having sold the vehicle and moved back to a caravan. My policy, via Insurance Choice underwritten by Highway, was for £349 for 6000 miles per year. my cancellation was on the 103rd day of a 365 day policy, so arguably had £251 of cover left in it. imagine my dismay when today, January 10th, i finally learn that a) Highway refund only 10% of the premium on cancellation and Insurance Choice take that, again for cancellation, so I get nothing back. So, a limited mileage policy might bring the premium down, BUT the smallest of small print enables the underwriter to refund only 10% after 103 days cover. So beware. with motorhome insurance, you seldom get what you pay for

In October back end ! we changed our van and Caravan Guard gave us 10 days free insurance which was handy as it was straightforward I inquired at our current insurers as to cancelling with them and what refund we would be entitled to :-S we would have had a penalty which equated to what it would cost us to transfer and stay with them, so we just paid up and transferred details, we will compare prices again when it is due in March. So unless you are gaining on your new caravan I would recommend staying where you are for now, and transferring motorhome insurance over to caravan if that is possible, you always lose out when cancelling insurance.

We sold our motorhome privately last month and wanted to suspend our insurance with Safeguard until we bought the new one in March , but you can only do this for 30 days so the policy had to be cancelled with a £50 cancellation fee of which £25 would be refunded if I re-insured with them when we got the new motorhome . I mentioned that I had recomended the new owner to insure with Safeguard ,which they had and Safeguard reduced the £50 to £25 for doing so which I thought was a good gesture from Safeguard. I have been with Safeguard since 2007 who have always come out tops on renewal quotes.

Archived