Ethanol in Germany

nowtelse2do

Just picked this up off the TR forum that might be interesting.

The German Development Minister is proposing to ban the sale of E10 for now to stop the abuse of land for the production of Ethanol.

Hopefully a ban would not be lifted in the near future and ideally not at all.

If you want to stay clear of Ethanol, I believe that ESSO Super is the only one on the market.

Dave

You may find this link interesting - all about ethonal and bio fuels.

http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/wessex/ethanol-update.html

If you scroll to the end then you get the following........

BP Ethanol is added at 5% to unleaded petrol at all sites across the UK. BP Ultimate (super unleaded petrol) does not have Ethanol added, except in the South West of England.

Esso Ethanol is added at 5% to unleaded petrol at most sites in the UK. Esso Super Unleaded petrol does not contain Ethanol, except in the South West of England (Devon & Cornwall)

Shell Shell has repeatedly refused to answer the question. It is therefore an assumption only, that all Shell petrol should be considered to contain 5% Ethanol.

Texaco Ethanol is added at 5% to unleaded petrol. Texaco Super Unleaded petrol does not contain Ethanol.

Total Ethanol is not added to any Total fuel (including standard unleaded petrol). Except in the North West and South East of England.

Total have kindly provided a list of filling stations where E0 petrol can still be purchased. Click this link to download the list TOTAL E0 Fuel Sites.xls

As far as I can gather, the only reason that the super unleaded fuels seem to be ethanol free is because it is harder to obtain the fuel quality required for super unleaded if Ethanol is present. However several of the oil companies told me that this will change in the future but that no date has been set.

The ethanol situation varies with where you are. I have an interest because I have a fibre glass motorcycle petrol which reportedly can be damaged by ethanol. I live in Devon and checked with all the major fuel companies who retail petrol down here. They all confirmed that 5% ethanol was in all their petrol and that it would change to E10 at some time in the future. Shell didn't answer so I assume they are the same and Total seems to be rare in this part of Devon so I didn't ask them. If you want non ethanol petrol then you would need to constantly check the current position in whichever area you are going to which doesn't seem practical.

All petrol will eventually contain 10% ethanol and this may be as soon as this year.

The problems this causes for owners of old vehicles are several.

The ethanol attacks rubber fuel pipes, corrodes alloys in carburettors, disolves petrol tank sealant and fibre glass tanks, and burns a lot hotter resulting in possible valve seat damage.

I have 2 old vehicles, I have had to replace the fuel hoses (one was so bad it was like jelly inside) and have two sealed tanks that I have got to somehow remove the sealant gloop from.

Good to see the Germans are seeing sense, why is it we seem to follow what the USA are doing so closely where fuel is concerned?

Over here Shell will not even disclose what they are adding to their fuel nor confirm or deny that ethanol is used. Maybe a bycott of Shell might sharpen their minds?

With people starving it cannot make sense to turn millions of acres over to fuel production so that we can save a bit on imports, it doesn't save the user anything, in fact it costs more to make ethanol!

H

hallii - 2013-01-12 11:48 AM

All petrol will eventually contain 10% ethanol and this may be as soon as this year.

The problems this causes for owners of old vehicles are several.

The ethanol attacks rubber fuel pipes, corrodes alloys in carburettors, disolves petrol tank sealant and fibre glass tanks, and burns a lot hotter resulting in possible valve seat damage.

I have 2 old vehicles, I have had to replace the fuel hoses (one was so bad it was like jelly inside) and have two sealed tanks that I have got to somehow remove the sealant gloop from.

Good to see the Germans are seeing sense, why is it we seem to follow what the USA are doing so closely where fuel is concerned?

Over here Shell will not even disclose what they are adding to their fuel nor confirm or deny that ethanol is used. Maybe a bycott of Shell might sharpen their minds?

With people starving it cannot make sense to turn millions of acres over to fuel production so that we can save a bit on imports, it doesn't save the user anything, in fact it costs more to make ethanol!

H

I think you're getting confused with METHANOL which certainly does attack fibreglass. In fact ETHANOl is the intoxicating constituent in booze.

Archived