Jessops not honouring gift vouchers - fraud?

Cattwg

Jessops not honouring recently purchased gift vouchers strikes me as fraudulent.

Scenario 1: Goods are purchased for £100 cash just before Christmas – hand over the cash, walk out with the goods – OK.

Scenario 2: A friend purchases, for cash, £100 worth of Gift Vouchers for his wife as a Christmas present. She goes to the shop to redeem the vouchers this morning to be told they are not honouring them.

The senior management at Jessops must have known how dire their predicament was. So to continue to sell vouchers that they knew they would not redeem is, to my mind very nearly fraud. My friends are not best pleased.

Cattwg :-D

AFAIK, Jessops have not been reported as bankrupt, only as in administration. Not being bankrupt, they should honour their own gift vouchers. They are still trading, and still seem to be selling goods (at least, their website says they are) and, although there is talk of branches closing, there seems to be an intention to slim Jessops down, and re-structure their finances to create a viable company. I therefore think your friend should contact either Price Waterhouse Coopers, the administrators, or Trading Standards, to see if someone in his local branch has got their knickers on back to front!

Thank you for the replies.

The non-honouring of gift vouchers was announced on the news last night.

Cash was paid for the vouchers.

It just strikes me as plain wrong to continue selling something that you know will not be honoured.

Cattwg

Guest 1footinthegrave

And still the UK government sits on its hands regarding Amazon UK and their tax affairs, that's probably a huge factor in these companies going down the pan they are not competing on a level playing field, very sad as I personally like to be able to see what I'm buying, having said that I do shop online for a lot of things, so I guess I am part of the problem, oh well.

As for fraud there are plenty of presidents on companies taking cash for deposits right up to the day of ceasing trading, a scandal as far as I'm concerned, yet nothing seems to get done about it. I thought last nights "Rip off Britain" was good with the woman who Santander bank "lost" her £25000, so she's stuffed as well

Archived