Number of motorhomes in UK.

Brian Kirby

Don

Thanks.

It is often stated that the French market is much larger than that in UK.  Same goes for Germany, but the population is larger and I have no figures.  Doubtless someone will have, though!

Just for comparison's sake therefore, and in a spirit of innocent enquiry, in my July 2006 Monde du Camping Car it says that almost 22,000 new vehicles were registered in France during the preceeding 12 months.  Now that is a lot of motothomes!  Population of France/UK approximately equal, yet they buy more than twice as many as us.  No wonder they have all those aires!

(Anticipating the question, I have no idea how many trailer caravans are sold in the two sountries, but suspect the UK figure would be the higher.)

Take care, and thanks again.

Brian, I don't have currenbt numbers, but the proportions won't have changed much since I last checked. France is about 2.5 times UK, Italy about 2 times and Germany about 3 times. Interestingly, caravan sales in Italy are much lower, presumably because of all those mountains right through the country. Both Hymer (excluding its subsidiaries) and Trigano's CI factory produce more m'homes each year than the whole UK output.

Hi I believe I read that more caravans are sold in the uk than any other european country, must be something about us brits that makes us tow things about. :-D Perhaps we imagine its a field gun. 8-) Olley

Archived