1 night stays

kirby7oak

Guest JudgeMental
Robinhood - 2013-01-11 6:51 PM

kirby7oak - 2013-01-11 6:25 PM

Funny enough I do have a brother called Brian but he doesn't know one end of a motorhome from another.

.....that would be him!

B-)

Indeed......Sounds like they have a great deal in common! :-S

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2013-01-11 7:37 PM

Funny enough I do have a brother called Brian but he doesn't know one end of a motorhome from another.

.....that would be him!

B-)

Indeed......Sounds like they have a great deal in common! :-S

(lol) (lol) (lol)..................Your being very rude about my preferred Dad ;-)

.....that would be him!

B-)

Oh yes I does! The front is the noisy end, and the back is where its quiet, until you're in reverse! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2013-01-11 11:25 PM

.....that would be him!

B-)

Oh yes I does! The front is the noisy end, and the back is where its quiet, until you're in reverse! :-D

.......well, the rumours of your disorientation seem to be greatly exaggerated - and just when I was going to suggest you have your next 'van built on the base pictured below. . ;-)

Returning to the original topic, the main issue for the OP may well be that he wants a 1 night stop on the first night of a bank holday. To be certain of a pitch, this potentially means booking, and he may find a reluctance to take a single night booking.

If a member of the CC, however, they will normally do so for one of the club sites, but this may mean booking early. (the CCC will not take a single night booking for one of their club sites). The CCC THS sites are often useful for such a purpose, but unfortunately, this year there are none at Easter in the required area.

If it is literally just an overnight stop you want, then the Cadeside CC site, just off the M4, might suffice. It is, however, "bogless". An evening walk into Wellington (less than a mile, and paved) is also possible.

doubleducato.jpg.6759434f4fc29ca4800373b3bcdab6f4.jpg

Tony Jones - 2013-01-14 8:16 PM

Why spend serious money out of your holiday fund on a quick overnight stop John?

Check out these truckstops, some of the ones in the area you want are free, some are cheap: and most of them are cafés where (if you want) you can get breakfast for less than the price of a CL!

http://highways.headland.co.uk/truckstops.asp

As an ex truck driver I wouldn't stay at the truckstops..They are now ALL overpriced..I quit driving 5 years ago..the average price to stay at a truckstop/cafe then was around 6/7 quid..a lot now are over a tenner..by all means stay at a place like these if you want to be kept awake all night by some inconsiderate driver running his fridge all night..It still happens..and the early start brigade 2/3 o clock roll outs..and the night trunkers rolling in at any time from midnight to 5 o clock and most of the truck parks smell of urine where they have all done it on the back axle..save your cash find a decent CL/CS it will be cheaper cleaner quieter and a damn sight better..

I know a lot will say you are painting a terrible picture but sadly it is true..a lot of truck drivers are their own worst enemy..I was in the job for a lot of years..12.50 to park overnight is a joke you may get a couple of quid off a meal but hey you have a Motorhome cook your own..you are not even safe at these places..I had my curtains slashed many times on truckstops even when the trailer was empty and the back doors opened up..that is other drivers believe me..I CAUGHT ONE GUY SNEAKING ROUND MY TRAILER ONE NIGHT AND WHEN I CHALLENGED HIM HE SAID OH I'M JUST HAVING A p..I SAID GO AND p ON YOUR OWN THEN..

Obviously Ray, as an ex-trucker your experience is far wider than mine, but since you stopped 5 years ago mine may at least be more "current?"

I can only speak as I find:

Yes, many of those that charge ARE expensive by the standards of CLs, Aires and Stelleplatze, since they're charging the going rate for parking a 44-tonner overnight, and I wouldn't dream of using them. However, there are plenty of free and cheap ones around.

In the ones we've used, there has always been space away from most of the trucks - or even a separate car parking area where we were just as welcome - so engine/fridge noise hasn't disturbed us.

And we've NEVER felt unsafe in any way - otherwise SWMBO would've ensured we moved on, however tired the chauffeur!

We've often found them an excellent overnight to break a journey - and then there's that breakfast!

Archived