The Sinking of the Concordia: Caught on Camera

Mel B

I'm just watching the documentary (on More 4) about the above, made solely with footage taken by those on board, the rescue services etc - no 'acting' involved. The only 'after event' part is some comments from those who were involved saying what happened.

It beggars belief that they could keep the passengers in the dark about what had happened and 'pretend' it was all just a generator fault, when in reality the captain had apparently run onto rocks and had a 50m gash in the side of the cruiser! I believe 32 people died and I wonder how many could have been saved if they had told the 'truth' to the passengers and crew, and especially the coastguard, so that help could have been sent much sooner. :-|

The concept of fertilised pants impairing brain function is far from new.

I read somewhere that in maritime law decisions made after the time a calamity became unavoidable are of little account being deemed to have been made 'in the agony of collision'.

The phrase mission impossible would seem to apply to a stuation in mid ocean if several thousand often elderly passengers had to abandon ship in even moderate seas. To my mind these huge passenger ships are a disaster waiting to happen.

Keep on camping I say.

Archived