More Morocco questions

Suda

Us again!! Please could anyone suggest a route around Morocco which would really give us a flavour of the country. Changing landscapes, culture, people......as much as we could cram into 2 weeks for our first visit. My navigator asks that we avoid precipitous drops!!! Thanks again.

Well. 2 weeks isn't much time!

Here's my suggestion:

Chefchaouen, Fez, Azrou, Marrakesh, Essaouira, then back north with the opportunity to visit the coastal towns of Safi, El Jadida, Casablanca, Rabat, Moulay Bousselham, and Asilah, should you wish. You could go the other way round, but returning up the coastal route allows you to cover the distance quite quickly if you find yourselves short of time.

That's around 1100 miles, more than enough for 2 weeks.

Andy

The route suggested by Andy C is a good one but I agree with those who have said that two weeks is not much time to get the best out of the trip. An alternative might be to leave your motorhome on a campsite in Spain and use the rail network in Morocco. That way you could be travelling while you are sleeping and cover a lot of ground. Where the trains don't go there are buses and there are plenty of good value hotels at prices similar to campsites in Europe. We have done a similar trip to Andy's in this way and took three weeks over it. I wouldn't like to do it in only two with my motorhome - but then I don't like driving long distances in one go!

Whatever you decide to do, have a good trip.

Suda - 2013-01-15 9:12 PM

Thankyou all.Yes 2 weeks was a bit daft so.........now we are going for a month !!

Very sensible, you will be able to get a lot more in. You could go south from Azrou over the mountains to Errachida and down to the desert at Merzouga, then across to Ouarzazate. From there you could either go north over the High Atlas to Marrakesh or west via Taroudant to Agadir. If you have time it's worth detouring south from Taroudant to Tafraout up in the Anti Atlas, specially if you time it for the Almond Blossom Festival usually around the end of Feb to beginning of March.

Pick up a copy of Camping Morocco from Vicarious Books, it's a bit out of date now but still has useful info. Also take a look at the French website http://www.lemarocencampingcar.com/ Their 'Guide des Campings du Maroc' is about the best available for camping in Morocco and there's a new edition every year.

There's plenty of info on line, start with http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/category/8/29/30/

Andy

Archived