back boxes and cycle racks

kevin hawkins

i am looking to fit a cycle rack and a back box to a 1990 transit rear doors if i fit the type that clip around the doors providing they still make them for this model together with a back box would it stand the weight of a spare wheel and some camping equipment tent chairs table etc or will it damage the door hinges or worse the door frame any help or any directions to where i can find the answers much appreciated kind regards kevin 8o|

Kevin, I think you have very little chance of carrying your spare wheel in a back box. We have had back boxes on the last three vans and they are OK for lightweight equipment but I would not risk the spare wheel. On my Timberland we have a door mounted box and I only put the bulky lighter stuff in it. Don

Hi Kevin i have a symbol camper on a mwb peugeot, i have a backbox mounted on the back step it is aluminium and is 4ft wide by 2ft 4ins high and 10ins deep ,i put most things that i used to have to put in van in it. And to carry 2 bikes i have one of the racks that fit on back of cars and that hangs on back doors, seems to work well as i went to spain and back with it no problems. Regards chalky

[QUOTE]chalky - 2006-07-19 10:13 AM Hi Kevin i have a symbol camper on a mwb peugeot, i have a backbox mounted on the back step it is aluminium and is 4ft wide by 2ft 4ins high and 10ins deep ,i put most things that i used to have to put in van in it. And to carry 2 bikes i have one of the racks that fit on back of cars and that hangs on back doors, seems to work well as i went to spain and back with it no problems. Regards chalky[/QUOTE] Hi Chalky, I'm interested in your fixing of the box on the back step. I take it you don't need to open that door. I need to open both back doors at all times. I've got a Sporty Trailer aluminium box 5ft 6ins high, 2ft 4ins wide and 15ins deep on my LWB Timberland. It's mounted on the rear door, and the box and frame weigh about 50kg. I've had it for three years now and the back door seems to be holding up well. I remove the box when we come back from our winter travels as we don't use the van a great deal in the UK except for the outdoor shows. It's a 20 minute two man job to put it on and off. The frame that supports the box I leave on all the time. Regards Don

Archived