Spanish Gas Regulators

fairweather camper

Hi we are in Benidorm at the moment, we have an Alugas refillable bottle, and also a spanish bottle, we bought the bottle with a regulator already on, we have just swapped ours for a full one, and changed it all over, but the appliances keep blowing themselves out, it seems full of air, any ideas please, we have left it on very low and it is ok but when we turn it up it blows out, and it wont work at all with the gas heater.

Thanks Val and Bob

Guest pelmetman
We have a Alu refilable and have a Spanish bottle plugged in and its working fine........did the Spanish bottle come with any gas in?........coz if not.......then I'd suspect the Spanish regulator ;-)

Guest pelmetman
fairweather camper - 2013-01-14 1:35 PM

Hi thanks for reply, no the bottle was empty when we bought it, we also suspected the regulator, but just wanted to ask before we went to the expence of buying another in case it could be something else.

Bought our regulator and a bit of pipe last year...........I don't recall them being expensive ;-)............although there are different types, ours is 30 mbr :-S

From an earlier forum thread...

fairweather camper - 2012-08-06 10:24 AM

Hi Iv'e just bought a Spanish Gas Bottle on Ebay,very cheap, its a Cepsa Alloy, with regulator, im now wondering if this is still used in spain, as its been in his garage for 3 yrs, and I only paid £1.20 for it.

Regards Val

Even if this problem had not arisen, it would have been a good idea safety-wise to replace the old Spanish regulator with a new one.

Had a similar problem with one of my french botttles here at home recently, it turned out to be the valve on the bottle itself not opening properly, try opening valve without regulator connected and see what the flow is like, do this well away from van tho' Took the faulty bottle back to supermarke, and they changed it no problem, it is a common fault with sticking valves. P.S whats the weather like.

Just a small point but possibly a critical one, the "regulator" is actually a regulator and not just an adapter isn't it? The "Jumbo" clip on adapter used on Spanish propane cylinders looks very similar to the "Jumbo" clip on regulator. If your van has a bulkhead regulator then you want the adapter which will pass full cylinder pressure (6 bar or approx 95 psi) to the reg which will then reduce it to the 30mbar (30 thousandths of a bar) which is approx 0.5 psi. However if you have a cylinder mounted regulator then you really need the Jumbo regulator which will reduce the cylinder pressure to the 28/30mbar required for safe operation. If you use an adapter when you need a reg you will feed propane into your van's gas system (designed to operate at around 30mbar (0.5 psi) at full cylinder pressure of 6 bar (95psi approx).

D.

Archived